• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    I got a SA 1911A1 last month, I took it to the range (Pasadena Gun Center) today. It has issues. I tried winchester 230gr white box FMJ, remington 230gr green box FMJ, handloads 230gr fmj, and federal 230 gr hydroshocks. With all it had issues going into battery it would feed but stop short about 3/16th of an inch from locking up. I will call springfield Monday, I might also try a heavier wolf recoil spring.:banghead:

It was new, first time to be shot, My kimber custom classic 1911 had no issues with same ammo and mags. It even does this hang up on a manuel cycle with the release of the slide release. It did it once with me pulling back the slide all the way and releasing it. heck even if I put a round in the chamber with no mag it did this from a slide release.

On the plus side I met my brother there, he brought his 11 year old daughter. This was her first time to shoot, she loved it. She tried a 45 but it was bit much for her. She shot my brothers Keltec 380, and my P-08 Lugar. The Lugar was made in 1917, my Great grandfather captured it in 1918 in France. She is the 4th generation of my family to shoot the 9mm. She did pretty good.
    Target Sports

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Keep running factory FMJ through it. If the gun is new, you've got a little fitting in/wearing in that needs to be done on the working parts. Edges and flats are new and not mated in.

Check that the extractor tension is acceptable. And the things I prefer to do on my guns is take some 4 or 600 grit paper and smooth the breech face and the frame feed ramp. This is purely to slick up the surface, NOT to reshape or remove material. Let me make that very clear. I'm sure others may not agree its necessary, and it probably isn't. But for me, it's like choosing to run synthetic fluids in my truck vs regular oil

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Fire many more rounds though it, I've got the same pistol and it functions great with even big HP like Gold Dots after I broke it in. It did take a few hundred rounds before it would feed reliably every time.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    report.gif

image.jpg

Just got off the phone with springfield, I found out they only put 13lb recoil spring in that pistol. They are sending me a 16lb and if that does not work I will have to send it in.

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    I'm going to ask - was the gun lubricated properly? First thing I have always done with a new firearm is strip it, clean the hell out of it, then lubricate it properly before taking it to the range. Straight out of the box is typically not equal to ready for firing.

I also tend to cycle it by hand as much as I can to help the break in period, and generally polish all moving parts that I can before using it as well. It greatly enhances the break in period and reduces the number of initial failures that most firearms are prone to before getting broke in properly.

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    I lubed it with white lithium grease before firing.

The first thing I'd do is ditch the grease, clean every bit of it off, and use a gun oil. I generally just use run of the mill 3 In 1 oil, but CLP and some of the other manufacturers get good reviews as well.

Grease generally is not a good firearm lubricant - it attracts far more dirt than oil, generally has viscosity and heat related issues and can jam a firearm due to buildup in certain areas after the parts have moved enough times, and most manufacturer's don't recommend using grease as a lubricant. SA might be different, but I know on my XD it's not recommended.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    I have uwsed white lithium grease on colts, kimbers, glocks, rugers, and a luger with no problem. I know of an IDPA/IPSC shooter who puts 20000 round a year through a race gun with the white lithium grease.

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    I have uwsed white lithium grease on colts, kimbers, glocks, rugers, and a luger with no problem. I know of an IDPA/IPSC shooter who puts 20000 round a year through a race gun with the white lithium grease.

To each his own I guess. There is always one of those "I know somebody who does this" stories out there. I wouldn't use grease on any of my firearms, combat or otherwise personally.

Top Bottom