Range time with my Shield 9mm

SR9TEX

Sep 23, 2013
2nd time shooting the Shield since I picked it up, total of 350 rounds through it now.Had 3 stove pipe malfunctions in the first 250Rnds.

I have got to say the more I shoot the Shield 9mm, the more I want to sell my SR9C to buy a M&P fullsize 9mm. This was maybe my 8th time ever shooting a pistol.
For a newb I'm verry happy with what this little gun is capable of.Only thing I'm thinking I might need is a HiViz front sight.I'm only 27 but my eye sight isn't the best.

2apasute.jpg

Here is the first 16Rnds down the pipe at 7 yrds.
azerujam.jpg

Then I wanted to see how it would do out at 15 yards. 24Rnds @ 15yrds
a5anu7yb.jpg

Then on another target I put a Box of 50Rnds down range at 7Yrds.
a9ypeban.jpg

SR9TEX

Sep 23, 2013
What do you guys prefer?
Stock white dot rear sight and a fiber optic front.
Or Green fiber rears with a red fiber front?

Younggun

Ginger Avenger
TGT Supporter
Admin
Jul 31, 2011
hill co.
I find the malfunctions strange. I've never had one with mine or heard of any others having problems.

Do you have a good firm grip?

Kennydale

Jun 3, 2013
Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
The hard part would be changing your name :) I'm with you as much as i love my Ruger SR40C, I am not married to it. Like you my eyes aren't that great. I was thinkimg of getting the XS BigDot System . I know it gets SLAMMED by some (Target range wise, accuracy i hear suffers) But defensively when the SHTF they could be life saver by not having to waste any time acquiring target and hitting same. You've made a great acquisition.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
SR9TEX, have you shot an M&P full size or compact? Not the same trigger as the Shield.

As far as sights go, I had mine switched out front fiber optic and black rear. To see if you like that setup though, I recommend painting the stock sights first.

Last edited by a moderator:

SR9TEX

Sep 23, 2013
I find the malfunctions strange. I've never had one with mine or heard of any others having problems.

Do you have a good firm grip?
Firmer then most I've seen lol, here is a video of me shooting it the first time out.I shoot the cheapest 115 grain ammo I can find on the shelf. Lately its been Remington umc.

Good shootin BTW
Thanks!

The hard part would be changing your name :) I'm with you as much as i love my Ruger SR40C, I am not married to it. Like you my eyes aren't that great. I was thinkimg of getting the XS BigDot System . I know it gets SLAMMED by some (Target range wise, accuracy i hear suffers) But defensively when the SHTF they could be life saver by not having to waste any time acquiring target and hitting same. You've made a great acquisition.
I was a instant SR9C fanboy, been very reliable and is a good shooter but I'm biased as It was my first handgun.And this S&W instantly changed my view on the Ruger :/

I also checked out the xs big dots, but I was thinking of a lasermax laser for quick target acquisition in a low light defensive situation. Figured I can depend on the laser for defense and HiViz sights for a better daytime sight picture for defense or at the range.At first thought I wanted night sights but Its not my primary "home defence" gun. So idk what to do...

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Check out the pix of mine above. That fiber optic sight really stands out. However, I painted my M&P compact sights in a similar setup (black rear, bright red front) and it's probably 80% as good for about 1% of the price.

Give it a whirl.

Last edited:

SR9TEX

Sep 23, 2013
Check out the pix of mine above. That hi viz sight really stands out. However, I painted my M&P compact sights in a similar setup (black rear, bright red front) and it's probably 80% as good for about 1% of the price.

Give it a whirl.
Thanks a ton for the pics man, that's exactly what I had imagined but couldn't find a clear pic on google to save my life.

I have not shot any other m&p, I dry fired a m&p 40 fullsize about a week ago.It wasn't horrible but did fell a bit gritty over the shields trigger.Worst case I could buy a apex kit, but for a home defence purpose gun I would probably leave it be

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Heres another pic. Sorry for the quality. This is just model paint.
une3y9yj.jpg

Regarding the trigger...i find the M&P full size/compact triggers OK, especially after being shot a lot. The SR triggers are actually good. I do prefer most other aspects of the M&P vs the Glock/XD/SR but if you havent shot the Glock or XD you may like them better.

Overall just saying the Shield is not a normal M&P and wanted to show off my sights.

Last edited:

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads