• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ManInBlack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2019
    SA, Texas
    Hello all.
    I am looking for a location to conduct a defensive handgun course which will not impose the silly limits like the, "One shot per five seconds" rule. Defensive handgun requires multiple shots and movement so that is how we should train, but I am having trouble finding a range which will permit this. Any recommendations in SA?

Thanks in advance for any input.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Hello all.
    I am looking for a location to conduct a defensive handgun course which will not impose the silly limits like the, "One shot per five seconds" rule. Defensive handgun requires multiple shots and movement so that is how we should train, but I am having trouble finding a range which will permit this. Any recommendations in SA?

Welcome to the Forum!

OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    Welcome, you could try Lonestar gunrange in Conroe. They have a private bay you can rent with steel targets. I believe they will closely watch you in the beginning just to make sure you know what you're doing then just periodically check after that. Look them up and ask to be sure

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Hello all.

You want to teach such a class at someone's range?

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Since you’re looking for a range in San Antonio try Cedar Ridge in Bulverde. The range fees are on the upper end, but the bays are in good shape. Make sure you fully understand Mr. Ferris’ rules for when the range opens and how Sunday’s work. I’ve taught several classes there for Suarez International and have been pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManInBlack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2019
    SA, Texas
    Welcome, you could try Lonestar gunrange in Conroe. They have a private bay you can rent with steel targets. I believe they will closely watch you in the beginning just to make sure you know what you're doing then just periodically check after that. Look them up and ask to be sure
    Many thanks. I will look them up. Was hoping to keep it very close to SA, but realizing that may not be possible. I may have to modify my classes with the first two or three being fundamentals, then the last one or two further out at a range which allows more freedom.
    Thanks again,

ManInBlack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2019
    SA, Texas
    Since you’re looking for a range in San Antonio try Cedar Ridge in Bulverde. The range fees are on the upper end, but the bays are in good shape. Make sure you fully understand Mr. Ferris’ rules for when the range opens and how Sunday’s work. I’ve taught several classes there for Suarez International and have been pleased.

I will give them a look. Many thanks. I am planning on 4 sessions of two hours each, with dry fire and SIRT drills to go home and practice between. I am realizing I probably am going to have to split ranges, using closer in for the basics, then the further out for the actual defensive part.

Thanks again for the input.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You want to teach such a class at someone's range?
    Just asking for clarification. I have instructed for and at ranges and am certified by the state as a TCOLE instructor, DPS Private Security instructor, and License to Carry instructor. Also an NRA RSO.

You will most likely be asked for your qualifications to instruct, if you are insured, for your lesson and safety plans. Having a third party teaching, especially those items you to have others do, creates certain liability for range owners, and you will probably face resistance if not flat out denials.

Hopefully if you prepare for the objections you will have better luck.

ManInBlack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2019
    SA, Texas
    Just asking for clarification. I have instructed for and at ranges and am certified by the state as a TCOLE instructor, DPS Private Security instructor, and License to Carry instructor. Also an NRA RSO.

You will most likely be asked for your qualifications to instruct, if you are insured, for your lesson and safety plans. Having a third party teaching, especially those items you to have others do, creates certain liability for range owners, and you will probably face resistance if not flat out denials.

Hopefully if you prepare for the objections you will have better luck.

Thank you for the input. I am just starting in the instruction gig, but am certified through USCCA, working on formal range master certification, former US Army Special Forces (Yes I have documentation), and former LEO. I also have a lesson plan. I am, however, still looking at the insurance component. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate any input.

Thanks again

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015

I agree. Cedar Ridge would be a good choice. It's not far outside of SATX. It's my usual hangout spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ManInBlack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2019
    SA, Texas

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I've heard that people have classes like you're talking about at Kitty Hawk Airfield. But, I don't know anything about how you would contact them to find out more.
    I think you must be referring to San Antonio Firearms Training, https://www.sanantoniofirearmstraining.com/the-range/ . Correct? It is right across the road from Kitty hawk airfield.
    Probably so. I just know they were in the store a few weeks ago talking about going out to Kitty Hawk Airfield and described the kind of range that it was.

I miss all the good stuff because I just catch things as I pass through on the way to my computer in the back room.

Top Bottom