• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woulf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    I haven't made it to any ranges around here. Between Gunsmoke and Arrowhead, I wondered if anyone had good/bad experiences between the two. I need a range to shoot my AR with actual distances marked off, as opposed to private land.

Considering driving to Lockhart and checking out the range there
    Target Sports

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Arrowhead is $10/day. Gunsmoke is $10/hr for rifle/pistol. Arrowhead is pretty busy with rifle guys on the weekends but there always seems to be room for a few more. Gunsmoke is owned and ran by wonderful people but tends to attract a heavy weekend crowd that is often comprised of college aged kids. Neither range offers much supervision of shooters but Gunsmoke has more manpower onsite if something comes up and requires attention. Arrowhead is a one man show and poorly maintained. Gunsmoke offers all shooting games from trap/skeet/sporting clays for shotgunners to 2 pistol ranges (traditional/tactical) and up to 100yd rifle. Arrowhead offers 3, 7, 15, and 25yd pistol and I've been told they have a 200yd rifle range but I haven't verified that. Most of my business goes to Gunsmoke but I also shoot my pistols on my own property. If I go to a range for pistols it is Arrowhead. Gunsmoke also offers memberships if you are interested.

There is another little known gun club up in Madisonville for members only that beats both Arrowhead and Gunsmoke but is a bit of a drive and a bit exclusive when it comes to membership.

BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    Frequent Arrowhead shooter...

Yes, it is run down, but they don't charge by the hour, their prices are decent, and you can usually spread out at the pistol end and not worry about cramping somebody else's space. They cater to the known distance crowd. Trap and skeet is not on the menu.

If the Arrowhead owners sold relatively cheap memberships ($120/yr), I think that they could maintain the place a little better. That's what I paid several years ago at the Corpus Christi Rifle and Pistol Club. A lot of folks would be able to pay that amount, but $275-300 is going to drive away all but the shooters who can afford to come out every week.

Haven't been to Gunsmoke. As long as they charge by the hour, I will shoot elsewhere.

Semper Fidelis

Top Bottom