rant about houston gun shops

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by rubberdown, Mar 19, 2009.

1. rubberdown

rubberdown New Member

Feb 13, 2009
    I am starting to become agitated by all the BS currently going on at pretty much every gun shop around town. I went to purchase a shotgun, and was listening to sales folks feed people obviously new to guns lines about how you wont be able to buy a shotgun soon, Obama will take care of that, etc etc. I realize that some laws may come into effect pertaining to collapsable stocks and the amount of rounds your firearm can hold, but literally every shop I went into, except one who is a sponsor of this forum, is basically full of crap and feeding off fear and ignorance to sell things. Now, I understand the concept of supply and demand, being a sales person, etc, but shops are basically flat out lying about what may or may not happen to folks to get them to buy guns. Are other people witnessing this as well? Does this seem wrong to other people, or am I just being a sensitive sally? I witnessed the same thing soon after 9/11 and was offended by that as well. I mean seriously, "your anti-terrorist headquarters?!?!?!" In any case I am waiting to get my firearm purchased from CDNN at my FFL for literally half price shipped and with FFL fees of what I saw at local shops. They were WAY over MSRP. CRAZY!

2. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I noticed this sector of the retail world doesn't seem very friendly. Not rude or unprofessional, just unfriendly. What did you guys do to them?

3. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    FUD has long been a staple in the sales field.

Why should the gun shops be any different?

4. Gentoo

Gentoo New Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I totally agree with the OP. It is disgraceful, and as I said in another post, makes us as a community look like fools.

Frankly, I don't understand how many gun shops stay in business. When I see local stores selling rifles at literally twice the price of everyone else, I have to wonder where they get their business from. Are there that many people so ignorant they cant go to gunbroker or spend 10 minutes on the net finding a dealer who will ship at a lower price?

5. jfrey

jfrey Active Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Houston gun shops

I personally only shop at one store in Houston. Their prices are a little high, but they have stock not found in other places. I normally go in and see the same salesperson if he is working. I have been in there when he wasn't in and some of the other guys aren't very friendly either. My father-in-law went in there one day to buy a pistol and the sales guy acted so disinterested we walked out empty handed. This is a customer who can afford anything in the store without asking the price. I had to really work to get him back in the store and I made sure ahead of time that MY guy was there that day.

Most of the time I shop in Victoria or Wharton. The selection isn't the same but the prices are better on what they have.

6. redneckinmontrose

redneckinmontrose New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Reference 1st Freedom April 2009

I realize that that I might receive my mail before some people. However as you are responsible firearms owners and undoubtedly NRA members, if you would please read the article beginning on page 40, you will see the point of the shop owners rhetoric.

Will they hang us one by one or will we all stand together?

7. Peter M. Eick

Peter M. Eick Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    I think the key thing is to buy from the same place and the same salesman and develop a relation ship with them. I always go to the same 2 stores, Fountain and Collector's and buy from the same salesmen every time. I have been doing it that way for almost 20 years now and by doing this I feel I get preferential treatment.

They know that if I am there, I am there to buy and not waste their time. They know I will pay cash and it is all about price. Most of the time I get pretty decent discounts on the list price but there are times that I knew I could get it cheaper so I passed. Nothing personal, just business and they knew it.

So my question back to you, how good of a customer have you been to the stores? How much repeat business do you give them?

Just some food for thought.

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yes.

9. CJS3

CJS3 Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Katy
    When you treat people like crap, they don't care if you hang by yourself.

Local retailers act as though they don't need you as a customer. I understand reacting badly when you perceive walk ins as only there to get a demo before they buy off the net, but in the current sales situation, that should'nt be a factor. Everything is running off the shelves, and the retailers should be building a future customer base with back orders and add on sales. Instead they are too busy having a break to talk to you, or "that's not my section, and I don't know when he'll be back", or there's no money for me, selling that add on.

I was treated VERY badly at a long established Houston chain a few years ago, and I 've gone back about every two years, just to see if things have changed. They haven't. They were recently named in a civil suit regarding a slain police officer, and I hope the widow ends up owning the place.

Stand together or hang alone? If you stand for something, and WANT to have someone to stand with you, then treat them as though you want them there.

:texas:

10. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Only once did I have that said to me at a gun shop. I looked the guy right in the eye and said, well "I guess you better update your resume" He looked back at me like a deer in the head lights. :p