• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scb199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    round rock
    I am thinking on this,,,I have been behind the counter and delt with assholes, and have been in front of the counter and delt with assholes
    Texas SOT

tx_headcase

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    league city
    I look at it this way.We Americans are all out to make a buck and save one too. And will say anything to get it. If we are buying we want it cheaper, if we're selling we want as much as we can get . i know their is that one person out there that when they buy something they give the sales man more money than it cost cause they think the price is to cheap.lol
    but it all comes down to you walked into their store and the door swings both ways. its always cheaper some where else. you got to go look . but is it worth it. is price more important than service or visa-versa. i have been in the houston area since 1992 when i left the U.S.navy, and been in alot of gun shops most are small mom and pop shops some are nice some are not . but you fine good and bad in all types of businesses.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There seems to be a bit of a price war going on in Austin. McBrides and Cabelas have been running some good prices on Glocks and XDs. We [Red's] had been doing pretty well with out pricing, but lately it's been getting more and more competitive.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I only frequent a couple of gun stores, and I never have any problems. I do, however, feel for the sales people. They get all kinds of... what's the word... idiots coming in, asking... oh, that other word... stupid questions, and they're just frustrating to watch. The sales people I deal with have all the patience in the world when dealing with these folks, but I can see how a lesser person would become jaded and generally rude or apathetic.

I wouldn't generalize and call ALL Houston gun stores bad. Some are still friendly and refrain from raping their customers.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    I like going to the local gun stores browsing what new inventory they have and like BSing with the shop guys, but now that I am in Law Enforcement they can't touch the prices Gun Manufacturers offer LEO's buying on agency letterhead.

Howie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    I went to a Shooting Range/Firearm reatailer (not a sponsor), and the particular salesman was very, very brusque. Almost to to point of being combative. He was arm crossed at the counter staring around, and seemed really put out by me asking some questions. I had the cash in my pocket and ready to to purchase a Kimber Raptor, but I was so put off that I just walked off, out, and bought it somewhere else. Every time after that when that sales guy was there, I just asked to speak to another salesman if he apporached me. I have not seem him around lately.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I went to a Shooting Range/Firearm reatailer (not a sponsor), and the particular salesman was very, very brusque. Almost to to point of being combative. He was arm crossed at the counter staring around, and seemed really put out by me asking some questions. I had the cash in my pocket and ready to to purchase a Kimber Raptor, but I was so put off that I just walked off, out, and bought it somewhere else. Every time after that when that sales guy was there, I just asked to speak to another salesman if he apporached me. I have not seem him around lately.

I will say this, firearms attract some interesting characters on both sides of the counter.

Bily Lovec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yes, GT Dist. does have some great prices, but they make you pay state sales tax even on letterhead purchases. :mad: 8.25% on a $500 gun can buy me two lap dances at Treasures. Hahahaha

well,
    let me be the first to say...

WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaWaaaWaaaWaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    This is an interesting thread! Last Monday (4/6), early morning, I sent out 3 emails to 3 different stores: Bass Pro Shop, Tomball Pawn, and Jim Pruett's Guns. The emails just basically said I'm looking for an entry level rifle like a Mossberg 100 ATR and if they had anything in stock. Since I sent the emails out before they were open I was kind of excited to check my email later in the day to see what these shops had. Well, it's Good Friday and I have gotten a total of 0 replies to my inquiries. :mad:

Now I'm not the kind to praise Wal-mart or their business practices so I'm only going to tell you that my experience at the gun counter at the Wal-mart in Tomball was excellent. They eagerly pulled out several riles, never acted like they have something else to do, didn't make me feel like my choice (Mossberg 100 ATR) was too cheap or that I was a cheapskate. To the contrary, the 3 shops I emailed non-verbally made me feel like I'm just a low-baller and they'd rather deal with the big $$$ customers. Even if they would just reply with something, anything, it's better than not getting a reply at all.

I have a good memory of how I'm treated both online and in the real world. I think praise should be handed out when a job is well done and bad customer service should be called out. After all, if it wasn't for us (the customer) they wouldn't be in business!

[edit]
    I keep reading (in this thread) about how patient gun store owners/employees have to be because of all the dumb questions and idiots that come in to their stores. It is my 1st hand experience that waiters/waitresses are some of the most patient people that tolerate a lot of unnecessary verbal abuse from their customers. I can't tell you how many times, when I was waiting tables while attending college, I wanted to just walk out. You literally have to let rude comments/attitudes slide off your back and keep a smile on your face! Once you let it "get" to you, tips noticeably fall off. Keep in mind we're talking about the restaurant industry here and people want to know if their plate comes with a salad, fries, etc when it's spelled right out on the menu. Heaven forbid trying to get their drink order and you have to run through every beverage carried! They (customers) don't care if you've recited the drink list 50 times already, and why should they? They just walked in and honestly want to know, so should I roll my eyes, fold my arms and treat them like that's a dumb question or their idiots? Just something to think about.

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    I lived in Houston most of my life and never really found a good gun shop that treated the customers nice and sold at a reasonable price.

But, I think that Jim Pruitt is a good guy, and I have never been in his gun shop. He either opened after I left town, or I just did not know he had one at the time.

Has any one been to Pruitt's Guns?

Is it a good gun shop?

I have been planning on making a visit there someday.

jnock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I lived in Houston most of my life and never really found a good gun shop that treated the customers nice and sold at a reasonable price.

But, I think that Jim Pruitt is a good guy, and I have never been in his gun shop. He either opened after I left town, or I just did not know he had one at the time.

Has any one been to Pruitt's Guns?

Is it a good gun shop?

I have been planning on making a visit there someday.

Yes, Jim has a good store. I've bought several guns there and got my CHL through them. Subway is right next door so it makes a good lunch outing.

goldenchild3079

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    all these gunshop's are over priced

1.Jim Pruett

2.Collector's firearm

3. Republic firearms

Jim Pruett is selling ar-15's for $1600.00-2000.00 on bushmaster you can find an upper and a lower bushy for $1100.00 his glocks were over priced too. If you buy from collectors firearms be ready to pay a 20% premium. Republic firearms wants a $70.00 transfer fee plus tax. Spectre firearms are reasonable but find the a good deal online first and ask nicely if they will match sometimes they will work with you.

Top Bottom