• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • some Beach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Tomball
    FWIW: after having lunch at Los Cucos on Hwy 249 I decided to stop in at Spectre Firearms on Spring Cypress. I've diven by that place a zillion times so I thought what the heck, the worst they can do is ignore me. To the contrary, the guys behind the counter were friendly and personable. Another guy was asking a lot of questions about AR-15's and the man behind the counter was very helpful, not talking down to him or treating him like a tire kicker.
    ARJ Defense ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    a good deal online first and ask nicely if they will match sometimes they will work with you.

Gotta love it.

You have the luxury of walking into the store, being able to see an item before you purchase it, check it out, feel it, make sure it works for you, ask a million questions about it, and on top of that ... have a retailer that will help you when it doesn't work, and in our case ... when you question if the "sights are off" on our range. All of which costs the gun store money, time, and effort... and you are going to ask them to box this all together for the same price as a mail-order online company run out of a cheap warehouse?

All of that, yet, it's all price.

The American consumer is a spoiled rotten child. They never have enough pay, and the goods are never cheap enough, and when they are cheap they are never good enough.

God forbid the gun store make $50 on a $500 Glock. That whopping 10% profit margin is absolutely pitiful compared to the hundreds of other products you buy on a daily basis.

Here's the real story:

$440 - Dealer Cost
    $10 - Average Shipping to Dealer
    $530 - Purchase Price
    -------
    $80 Profit
    $16 CC Fee
    -------
    $64 Profit
    14.5% GPM

When you factor in labor, facilities, and other expenses you now have a net profitability of roughly $30 per Glock. Drop that price to $499 like you see on Gunbroker and suddenly the shop is selling at a loss. What you as a consumer aren't being honest about is that you are forgoing shipping and transfer fees, along with CC fees (on Gunbroker especially), from that price. On top of the costs associated with your time.

You simply want your cake and to eat it too. Sorry, but the market doesn't work that way for the same reason the retailer out there with Glocks at $699 can't have his cake and eat it too.

Now you also know why transfer fees at shops aren't $5.

BTW, enjoy that next beer at a 25% margin, and the next cig at a 64% margin, or how about a nice meal at a restaurant at near 50% margin.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    FWIW: after having lunch at Los Cucos on Hwy 249 I decided to stop in at Spectre Firearms on Spring Cypress. I've diven by that place a zillion times so I thought what the heck, the worst they can do is ignore me. To the contrary, the guys behind the counter were friendly and personable. Another guy was asking a lot of questions about AR-15's and the man behind the counter was very helpful, not talking down to him or treating him like a tire kicker.

Glad to hear it... what day was this? I am wondering if I happened to be behind the counter that day.... always looking for fellow TGT members..... Wife and I used to eat at Cucos all the time, but latley there service has started to slide, and I am HUGE on service in a restaraunt....

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Gotta love it.

You have the luxury of walking into the store, being able to see an item before you purchase it, check it out, feel it, make sure it works for you, ask a million questions about it, and on top of that ... have a retailer that will help you when it doesn't work, and in our case ... when you question if the "sights are off" on our range. All of which costs the gun store money, time, and effort... and you are going to ask them to box this all together for the same price as a mail-order online company run out of a cheap warehouse?

The American consumer is a spoiled rotten child. They never have enough pay, and the goods are never cheap enough, and when they are cheap they are never good enough.

God forbid the gun store make $50 on a $500 Glock. That whopping 10% profit margin is absolutely pitiful compared to the hundreds of other products you buy on a daily basis.

Here's the real story:

$440 - Dealer Cost
    $530 - Purchase Price
    -------
    $80 Profit
    $16 CC Fee
    -------
    $64 Profit
    14.5% GPM

When you factor in labor, facilities, and other expenses you now have a net profitability of roughly $30 per Glock. Drop that price to $499 like you see on Gunbroker and suddenly the shop is selling at a loss. What you as a consumer aren't being honest about is that you are forgoing shipping and transfer fees, along with CC fees (on Gunbroker especially), from that price. On top of the costs associated with your time.

So true, I wont buy online, for obvious reasons, but especially out of loyalty to the local shops, after seeing the dealer cost sheets first hand, the margin on firearms, even the $2k ARs is not what most people think it is...

Sneakyabn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Pasadena
    Gotta love it.

Here's the real story:

$440 - Dealer Cost
    $530 - Purchase Price
    -------
    $80 Profit
    $16 CC Fee
    -------
    $64 Profit
    14.5% GPM

You simply want your cake and to eat it too. Sorry, but the market doesn't work that way for the same reason the retailer out there with Glocks at $699 can't have his cake and eat it too.

Now you also know why transfer fees at shops aren't $5.

BTW, enjoy that next beer at a 25% margin, and the next cig at a 64% margin, or how about a nice meal at a restaurant at near 50% margin.

Well Said.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have to admit I'm a little guilty of looking around and will probably buy my next gun (xd 40/45) from GT's because they offer better prices than most. But I do agree wholeheartedly that we should all support our local businesses, and I do so at every chance. But are you saying it bothers you when someone kicks a few tires while they are shopping around? I ask because I will look everywhere I can think of before I buy unless of course I find an obviously good deal. And if someone can beat GT's they will get my money.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I know the gunstore employees and owners love to talk down about the "tire kickers" and I admit I have done this on occaision. If I get bad treatment...forget it...there is no way in hell I am buying from you - ok?

Excuse the hell out of me for having a few QUESTIONS about something I am about to drop a large portion of disposable income on. I have only seen photos of the item on a website or magazine....can I look it over for more than 2 seconds?

You would think that with all the competition, stores would treat customers better, but since the Obama buying craze, I guess many think they can kick us to the curb. That is a bad mistake because when the craze is over...if we're still allowed to buy guns...we the lifetime loyal shooters will be all you have left and the spendthrift "johnny-come-latelys" that pay 1300 dollars for a basic AR will never be back.

Man...I miss the good ol days when the gunstore employees were friendly and they not only had things in stock but at somewhat reasonable prices.

Enjoy the uptick...because not all of us are participating and we'll remember who treated us fairly and who did not when this is all blown over....ok?

The gunstore employees and owners forget that this wonderful free maket goes BOTH ways. You can keep your 30 dollar box of 9mm and your 1300 dollar basic AR.

- brickboy240

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I know the gunstore employees and owners love to talk down about the "tire kickers" and I admit I have done this on occaision. If I get bad treatment...forget it...there is no way in hell I am buying from you - ok?

That's not the way I do business. I'm respectful to customers so long as they are respectful to me. I know a 18 year old kid isn't going to buy that $3000 Paul Howe gas piston AR15 mall ninja kit, but I'll show it to him and let him check it out. It's nothing off my back, and hey, I might be wrong.

Excuse the hell out of me for having a few QUESTIONS about something I am about to drop a large portion of disposable income on. I have only seen photos of the item on a website or magazine....can I look it over for more than 2 seconds?

I don't know why you are being so combative. I've never had poor service at any gunstore in Austin.

You would think that with all the competition, stores would treat customers better, but since the Obama buying craze, I guess many think they can kick us to the curb. That is a bad mistake because when the craze is over...if we're still allowed to buy guns...we the lifetime loyal shooters will be all you have left and the spendthrift "johnny-come-latelys" that pay 1300 dollars for a basic AR will never be back.

I agree in principle that stores should support it's customers, but at the same time the customer has to understand the demands of the store and it's market conditions. If an AR goes up $50 it might not be the store. I've seen M1A's go up nearly $250 just because of increasing prices from Springfield in the past year.

Man...I miss the good ol days when the gunstore employees were friendly and they not only had things in stock but at somewhat reasonable prices.

You can find reasonable prices at most gun stores in Austin. I can only think of one store that has raised their prices significantly. Hell we are the only place in town with .380 and we still have it at our normal price.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Sorry...just bummed to watch one of my favorite hobbies turn to sh*t.

Its just not a good feeling. Not into golf, tennis or anything else other than guns and fishing and its sad to see a once great passtime turn sour and distasteful.

- brickboy240

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I know it sucks BIG time to see it happening right in front of you and you can't shoot anything anymore.(without spending a small fortune on ammo) But someday hopefully soon it'll pass and we (the shooting community) will all be happy again.

ccs47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    West of Houston
    I'll buy from the local guys even if it is a few more bucks than online, unless the local guys don't have it. Case in point, I bought an RRA 458 SOCOM from a dealer on GB.com since nobody locally had one. Plus side was this guy was in Texas and offered me a fair deal, he paid shipping and the sales tax was included (I know it's all part of the cost). My local shop did the transfer and were happy to do so. It was a win-win-win.

Another thing, I sell industrial products and believe me I am NOT going to operate on 10 to 15% gross, so I don't begrudge a shop making money, if they lose money they go out of business and you have one less place to shop.

Just my dos centavos.

Sneakyabn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Pasadena
    Brick,

I agree with you about the souring part. I wish I could charge everyone of my customers prices from 1985, but I can't. During the last year distributors have raised their prices on us so our normal mark up is still the same just on higher cost from the distributors. Like I said in a previous post, I am a consumer as well and I too remember the gougers and always will. It's the same all around. I am scrounging for ammo everyday just to feed the range that we have, have my ammo prices went? Yes Sir they have because I now have to pay retail for it(If I can find it). I'm not arguing with you I am just saying that every thing sucks right now. The piss poor attitude that some of the shops my have there is no excuse for, that is just a sorry attitude from the get go and there is no excuse for it. You are what pays our bills and you should be treated accordingly. I just ask that you be paitient with some of us because you are not the only ones pissed off about what is going on in the shooting world.

technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I'm normally passing through Elgin on Friday afternoon, and I do like the folks at Elgin's Outfitters. So, I tend to drop them email, which I don't expect a quick answer to, asking about things I'm interested in. If they have it in stock, I stop and buy it.

If there is much slow time in a shop, I think being able to deal with customers via email is a good way to spend the time. Sort of a hybrid model of online sales.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Carters is the worst.. I would not buy from that place even if they HAD good prices. I would not pay $15.00 a box for 223 and $25 for 308.blaa.. i would rather buy it online.

I bought some 30 rnd Pmags (windowed) from AIM today for $17.00 + free shipping
    They have 223 Priva Match ammo in stock right now 200 rnds for $87.00 shipping is like 5 bucks

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I was treated VERY badly at a long established Houston chain a few years ago. They were recently named in a civil suit regarding a slain police officer, and I hope the widow ends up owning the place.

Why, did the owner of the store shoot the officer?

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Carters is the worst.. I would not buy from that place even if they HAD good prices. I would not pay $15.00 a box for 223 and $25 for 308.blaa.. i would rather buy it online.

I bought some 30 rnd Pmags (windowed) from AIM today for $17.00 + free shipping
    They have 223 Priva Match ammo in stock right now 200 rnds for $87.00 shipping is like 5 bucks
    You need to understand there is a difference between a (high) price and bad service. It is only high if you are not willing to pay it. Bad service or impolite retail sales personnel are a different story. That is non-negotiable with me. Pricing ~what is high to one person may be a bargain to another ~ I never criticize anyone for charging a particular price. If I think it is too high ~ I don't buy. It is a simple formula. The dealer needs to make money and I respect that. They need to respect that I can go elsewhere. Capitalism at it's best.

Top Bottom