Rant: Answering the Phone in Front of Un-Helped Customers

35Remington

TGT Addict
Dec 9, 2011
Way out here
So this drives me crazy, and it happens especially at auto-parts stores.

I get in my car and drive to your store to buy something from you or ask you a question, but once I get there you answer telephone calls while me and everyone else waits in line at the counter.

I wish there was a preference for the in-person customer.

scap99

TGT Addict
Nov 10, 2010
Cypress
So this drives me crazy, and it happens especially at auto-parts stores.

I get in my car and drive to your store to buy something from you or ask you a question, but once I get there you answer telephone calls while me and everyone else waits in line at the counter.

I wish there was a preference for the in-person customer.
I worked at an A/C Supply house that had the same theory...not me, and I got my ass ate out by management, all the time.
They figure, you're already in the store, so you're going to spend some money. The guy on the phone hasn't decided whose counter he's going to wait at, so that's why they wanted us to answer the calls immediately so he could come and wait, too!

SR9TEX

Sep 23, 2013
I absolutely hate it aswell. Odds are the retards on the phone are to lazy to drive to the store or don't know what in the world the parts called but they need a new one.
You think a business would take care of the business at hand that's already there willing to spend there money.
I was in a Autozone for 30 mins just a few months ago to pickup a part I had pre ordered and was sitting there waiting for me to pay.:thumbdown:

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
TGT Supporter
Jan 9, 2012
Cedar Park
Whats the solution though? I've also tried calling around to places to check whether they have what I need and absolutely hate it when the phone rings and rings or when somebody answers and puts me on hold for 20 minutes.

I'm outside sales and not in our retail front that much but the walk-in customers usually drag stuff out. They want to chat about the weather, tell you a story about what they are working on, change their mind a dozen times on what they need or want...The person on the pbone is usually pretty brief and if its more than 2-3 minutes you can take down their contact info.

Its not ideal but what is the solution? Let the phone ring and ignore calls?

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
Jul 24, 2011
Conroe, TX
The solution is to use computers to do the work for you. Ive actually seen this done btw in ammo stores, fast food restaurants and hardware stores.

You do not directly talk to anyone at either of these places.

Ammo store, you walk up to a computer, much like the desktop at your house. Place the orders youd like and they pull it will call. Everything is paid for online over that computer and once it comes through you get it.

Restaurant, it was a fancied up version of one of their push button registers. You had an encased touch screen computer almost like those redbox stands. You press the screen images of different types of foods and drinks and pay via machine as well.

scap99

TGT Addict
Nov 10, 2010
Cypress
Whats the solution though? I've also tried calling around to places to check whether they have what I need and absolutely hate it when the phone rings and rings or when somebody answers and puts me on hold for 20 minutes.

I'm outside sales and not in our retail front that much but the walk-in customers usually drag stuff out. They want to chat about the weather, tell you a story about what they are working on, change their mind a dozen times on what they need or want...The person on the pbone is usually pretty brief and if its more than 2-3 minutes you can take down their contact info.

Its not ideal but what is the solution? Let the phone ring and ignore calls?

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.
Your business is much like the a/c supply house scenario I'm familiar with.
I think a solution is to have a couple guys answer phone calls and a couple guys to manage the counter.
Overflow, can be managed by either group, if one of them gets backed up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

35Remington

TGT Addict
Dec 9, 2011
Way out here
I think a solution is an answering machine. Shock of all shocks: Hi, thank you for calling AutoZone. We are busy helping in-store customers at the moment. Please leave a message with your name, number, and what you need, and we will call you right back!

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members