DK Firearms

Rant.....Why Can't They Make A Chair For Big People?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I am sick of buying and using chairs that are built for Munchkins! What is with our society that a plus sized person can't get a proportionately sized chair!

As in UFC fights here's the ....Tale of the tape
    6'1"
    size 54 coat
    weight about 290
    12 EEEE shoes
    XXXL gloves
    I am very wide in the shoulders and can't get through the bathroom door without turning sideways....WTF!

Here are some failures:

I can crush one of those plastic stack chairs in a heartbeat! Most folding lawn chairs are toast. I CAN sit on a solidly built metal folding chair.

Academy has a "big man's" folding chair rated at 350 pounds.....perfect, right? It's like sitting in a bucket and I tore one of the arm rests the very first time that I used it. I can't get OUT of the thing!

Office Depot Leather Office Chair. The chair held up OK but the wheels cratered. This was a $350 chair but it was discontinued so they had no remedy. I gave it to my former lady friend.

Office Depot High back leather office chair #1
    The pneumatic lift cylinder gave it up and leaked down repeatedly when I sat in it. I'd sit then very soon, my knees would be up around my chin. I sent for a replacement cylinder but they were coming from China and I needed a chair so I bought Big man's chair number 2 as my primary ride.

I put this chair in my reloading room and finally got the replacement cylinder which I installed. That new cylinder lasted about 3 months then began to leak down, repeatedly.

Finally, I cut a piece of 2" pvc pipe and installed it over the pneumatic cylinder between the base and chair mount. It won't change height, now but it's MY chair and no one else sits in it. So far, that cure works!

Office Depot Big man's chair #2
    Also not a cheap chair. The cylinder began to fail almost right out of the box! I noted that even though this chair was designed and advertised for 350 pound users, fine print in the instruction book CANCELLED warranty if the user was over 250 pounds!

Even so, the nice lady manager at Office Depot gave me another chair to replace it. That chair cylinder failed within a few months! Finally, I cut another piece of 2" PVC pipe to lock the pneumatic cylinder in the "UP" position. So far, that is working!

What really pisses me off about this chair is as stated previously It's an expensive unit and they sell it as a 350 pound load chair but cancel the warranty if you are over 250 pounds! That's just chicken!

Custom Made Platform Rocker- Heavy duty!

I broke the frame so I moved it into the corner, put some comfy blankets and throws on it and that's Jakes bed. He loves it so I can't complain too much.

Roller Work Stools
    I have two of them. They look like mushrooms with red upholstered seats. Both broke welds at the junction where the seat joins the post. A neighbor welded one of them but the metal is just too light in gauge.

I had some successes! Here are three of them:

Cracker Barrel Oak Rocker.
    This chair was designed for big people. It was over $200 but everything is built solidly! All parts are extra heavy and thick. The seat is wide and spacious. All braces are twice the thickness of a regular duty rocker. The down side? The seat is hard as a rock! I don't have a lot of padding on my ass so it's painful for me to sit on something so hard. A friend made a cushion for me but it wasn't nearly enough padding for me.

Pro-Lift Roller Work Stool with built in 3 drawer tool box
    I've had this for about a year and so far, it works fine. I love having some basic hand tools right with me as I work. The weak point may be the casters. I'm careful about not sliding over bumps or cracks while I'm seated.

Harbor Freight Tractor Seat Pneumatic Tire Work Seat
    The structure is plenty strong and the seat is very sturdy. This seat was too hard for my bony ass so I bought a tractor seat cushion at Tractor Supply and attached it. It didn't fit so I punched some holes and laced it on with 1/4" nylon cord.
    The unit works best when working in the yard or on grass. It doesn't steer, so it's sometimes a PITA to move it to where you want to go. There is a steerable version of the same seat and I may send for that

Oddly, the fact that it rolls so easily is a disadvantage! If you are on concrete and rise up, the seat will roll away! I may install a brake on it.

SO....If you're a big guy trying to survive in a nation of munchkins, maybe we can share information!

What say you?

Flash
    Guns International

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I m not as big as you (6'4" 260) but I do need/want bigger chairs to sit. Years ago I found the Lane Comfort King line. Awesome well constructed and tough. My first one lasted 11 years and I just bought a new one.

Comfort King Recliners

The first one I had was called the Sherman lol but the new one is called the Stallion!

1407_5116-22cl?op_sharpen=1&wid=468&hei=450.jpg

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    I scoff at those stackable plastic chairs I refer to 'em as "russian roulette chairs" you never know when one of the legs is going to break and throw your ass on the ground! I hate those crappy made in China folding chairs you get at Academy too. Best thing I have found is Alps Mountaineering Camp Chair, a fold flat director's chair that is comfortable, sturdy and no "bucket" feeling. You can find them at Amazon or SG. Not cheap, they are $50 but worth it. Academy used to sell a folding camp chair that was rated to 300lbs and was really built well but I haven't seen one in years, the ones they have now suck.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Well, Hell....I'd buy a chair called the "Stallion" just because of the name! Boy, that looks comfortable but it's too big for my tiny house.

Stack chairs? Maybe Obummer will work to have them banned. Let's do it for "the kids".

Stack chairs are a lot more dangerous than an AR-15! I'm sure victims will come forward to support the ban.

Flash

Last edited:

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    a second for livingxl.com and Lazy Boy big man's recliner. I pretty much flattened a non-lazyboy big man's recliner before I got my new one.

My pet peeve is the chairs without back legs... the "Z" metal leg chairs have put me on the floor more than once.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    That's just the way it goes with us big fellas. Fortunately, several companies are getting into more big and tall type products. Unfortunately, they certainly make you pay for it. I'm 6'4" and 230. I've given up on shopping at any reasonably priced place. The wife, kids and age had me up to 250 for a while and hardly any muscle mass. I'm actually on my way back down to 190 and can't wait to get there so I can get back to cheap chairs, pants and even ladders...lol. I still have to buy large/tall shirts when I'm under 200, which are a pain in the ass, but I'll take it.

Sent from my iPhone 6a using Tapatalk

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I want to know why my bathroom sinks are all three feet high. Kills my back having to reach down and wash my hands...

Thats standard. I don't have to bend down to wash my hands...are you a t-rex perhaps? Haha!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thats standard. I don't have to bend down to wash my hands...are you a t-rex perhaps? Haha!

It's a stupid standard. My bathroom sinks are about even with the top of my thighs, and I'm not even that tall. Anybody knows that ergonomics call for stuff to be between waist and shoulder high.

I don't have to bend far, but to get my hands under the faucet I have to bend a little bit. I know because my back howls about it some mornings. Only friggin' 5'10"... If I ever own a house, I'm going to set the sinks at a more realistic height - about 8 inches higher should do it.

I don't remember you being that tall...

I'm only 5'10". It's just that bathroom sinks are too goddamn low unless you're under 5'6".

Ericstac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    TX
    I put 35" in my master bath and 30" in my kids bathroom. It's a lot more comfortable than standard.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Try sitting down into the chair slowly instead of plopping down into it. It is the shock load that breaks them. 6'2 250

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    What about commodes - toilets? Had visitors to the home, and one of them was on the "hefty" side -- about 460 lbs.

He sat on the toilet and rocked back and forth, which promptly broke the hold-down bolts, dislodged the wax ring, and caused a massive raw sewage leak.

How am I going to explain this Sh*t Storm to my insurance company?

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    That's just the way it goes with us big fellas. Fortunately, several companies are getting into more big and tall type products. Unfortunately, they certainly make you pay for it. I'm 6'4" and 230. I've given up on shopping at any reasonably priced place. The wife, kids and age had me up to 250 for a while and hardly any muscle mass. I'm actually on my way back down to 190 and can't wait to get there so I can get back to cheap chairs, pants and even ladders...lol. I still have to buy large/tall shirts when I'm under 200, which are a pain in the ass, but I'll take it.

My body is one they don't make clothes for. At 6'4" 260 I have an athletic frame but every part is a touch longer. I wear a 37" sleeve so if I wear a 36" they are too short. I wear a 14 dress shoe and a 15 tennis shoe. Stores mostly carry 13's and under. My pants are 38"x36",,, ever try to find a pair like that? When I buy a suit I have to look for specific cuts that are athletic and big in the chest. I wear a 48 chest which typically the pants are too big to be cut down. At the moment I only own one suit since they cost so ,much to buy and have altered.

JC Penney has a nice (limited) Big and Tall section. I really like the Huasen line of shirts since they are wrinkle free material and button ups. These shirts are awesome for conceal carry BTW. Everything else I either have to buy online or hunt for the one item they might have. Most times I have to ask and the clerk will go off looking in the mysterious "back room". Sometimes they come back with something I can wear.

ETA: SOCKS!!! Hard to find friggin SOCKS anywhere. They are all up to 13,,, uh yeah right,

ETA2: TOILETS !!!! For the love of god WHY are we still making short toilets? These damn things are 16" off of the friggin ground. People have grown quite a bit since WW2 so let's all get together and make them a little taller. Some of them you can hardly climb out of.

Top Bottom