• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Here are a collection of rants from working at a gun range, and the general things that people do on a daily, if not hourly, basis.

Opening the range door and causing everyone in the range office to have their ear drums raped by 250 dB gun fire. Even though there is a giant sign on the door that says to knock first and wait, and verify that everyone has their ears covered. You'd think it was common sense, but evidently not. I also like the fact that they apologize to me, the only guy in the room with hearing protection.

Poor gun handling. Generally it's the over 40 white male crowd that has an overly lax attitude towards the 4 golden rules. Somehow holding onto a pistol behind the firing line with it waving around at everyone doesn't equate to unsafe and moronic activity. Then they usually give you some sort of dumb look when you tell them to put it down and keep it down range, or my personal favorite... "It's not loaded".

Asking stupid questions, then not listening to the answer, or just being an impatient asshole. It's not my problem that 150 people decided to go shoot at Red's South today, and no I don't care that you are 1 hr. late to your deer hunt that you waited until the last minute to get ready for. Oh, and here's a tip... don't keep tabs on every single person that walks out of the range, then run back in the range office and ask if you are up. We aren't going to skip you, but if you keep annoying the hell out of me I'm going to put you between the .300 Win Mags that are shaking the windows.

Douchebags. You know... the guys that come to an indoor range, complain about the noise from pistols, ask you to have someone else stop shooting so they can concentrate on shooting their .300 Win Mag or .416 Rigby with a 75mm field howitzer sized muzzle brake. Generally these guys are in low supply, but it takes only one to really make the day funny. Commonly found around deer season preparing themselves to vaporize bambi at 25 yards with a 7mm Rem Mag. Of particular mention is the guy that always thinks someone is shooting his target. A quick look at the target shows that it was hit by a pistol bullet sideways (about a .70 caliber hole), but he blaims the guy next to him shooting a .30-06.
    Capitol Armory ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Guys who complain about your "no rapid fire" rule before demolishing your equipment while only firing slowly.

Guys who complain about your "no drawing from the holster" rule then proceed to break every safety rule anyway.

Folks who handle their pistols behind the firing line then talk about "range nazis" when you tell them to KEEP THEM ON THE LINE.

Give me some time, I've got a bunch.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I would say people who handle their weapons behind the firing line is one of my biggest pet peeves as well.

Mcoupe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I frequent a range that allows FA fire. On the rare occasion someone shows up with an FA firearm and starts shooting their target, everyone stops, watches and at least 2-3 start yapping the following loudly:

HEY!! He is firing FA!! Is that allowed??? What the helll!!! He is firing FA!!!

All in unison. Maybe in different languages, but the content is the same.

Is that allowed??!!!
    Is that allowed??!!!

And they won't stop until the adrenaline in their system subsides.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The gang banger wannabe who takes a handgun in each hand, holds them out in front of him and twists the guns sideways and tries to shoot them both at the same time rapid fire, then wants to "kick my ass" when I tell him to get his ass off my range.

The guy who tells me any security guard who does not use a lanyard is an idiot, and we are idiots for not stocking them.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    The gang banger wannabe who takes a handgun in each hand, holds them out in front of him and twists the guns sideways and tries to shoot them both at the same time rapid fire, then wants to "kick my ass" when I tell him to get his ass off my range.

The guy who tells me any security guard who does not use a lanyard is an idiot, and we are idiots for not stocking them.

i lucked out one day and was alone at the range.. (indoor) so i took my friends XD 40 and shot mine at the same time.. It was fun. i didn't hit shit.. but it was FUN. if there was a soft place to land on the floor i would have tired it jumping through the air.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Alan, you know where I shoot,so this will make you go

I overheard two of LSGR's yearly pass holders bitching to each other and to anyone who would listen about Matt getting on them for 12 guaging one of his target stands.This was AFTER he politely told them that using the Mossberg was okay, but if they were going to shoot the target they had to use slugs, buckshot or birdshot fire only into the berm.

I let them know that they were welcome to go to the other range that lets you draw from the holster, train on multiple targets, shoot fast, and all for $65 per year.

They STFU.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You can't please idiots. They probably thought the stands magically grew on trees.

I went out there a month ago and evidently I was given a look of disgust by two NRA-decked out members rolling up to the rifle range. I was shooting at about a second split between shots with my muzzle braked M1A, and I guess they didn't like this. Then they gave me attitude and were like, "Can we go cold now?".

Just makes me want to get my Beta C-Mag fed 7" AR with a muzzle brake put together that much more.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I absolutely cannot stand the NRA hat-wearing, bolt action rifle and shotgun only shooting, "hunting" crowd that despises anything to do with handguns or semi auto rifles that look "military" in any aspect. Mind you, I don't mind the NRA hat-wearing, bolt action rifle and shotgun only shooting, hunters that don't have a problem with it. ;) It just makes me laugh at the idiocy of those charlatans that call themselves hunters or gun owners/enthusiasts that adopt the same emotional and ignorant position of the anti's based entirely off the cosmetic appearance of a firearm.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I absolutely cannot stand the NRA hat-wearing, bolt action rifle and shotgun only shooting, "hunting" crowd that despises anything to do with handguns or semi auto rifles that look "military" in any aspect. Mind you, I don't mind the NRA hat-wearing, bolt action rifle and shotgun only shooting, hunters that don't have a problem with it. ;) It just makes me laugh at the idiocy of those charlatans that call themselves hunters or gun owners/enthusiasts that adopt the same emotional and ignorant position of the anti's based entirely off the cosmetic appearance of a firearm.

I agree. A rifle is a rifle whether it has a wooden stock or a black one. A pistol is a little bitty short rifle that you can put in your pocket or a holster. They all fire projectiles. Why do they bash pistol owners when although you can conceal it a long gun very well, their weapon will kill even more efficiently?

They're all projectile spitters and I like 'em. Fun Fun Fun!

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    Was spotting for my daughter while she was practicing some offhand rifle at a range we normally avoid. Some goof walks up behind her and stands between her and the guy on the lane next to her and raises some bigass revolver up taking aim at we're not sure which target. Problem is he's holding the pistol less than 3 feet behind her head while standing between shooters on two adjacent lanes. (It was pointed downrange and not at her.)

I look at him, over her shoulder, and yell, "Stop! What the hell do you think you're doing?" Daughter thought I was yelling at her and she had her mag dropped, rifle cleared and safed and on the bench with an empty chamber indicator inserted in about two seconds flat. It was really beautiful to watch how quickly she went from ready to fire to hands off a cleared weapon.

The goof looks at me and in his very best Forrest Gump imitation slowly says, "Well I wuz just shootin at mah target." I told him that indeed he wasn't shooting at anything. The RO was nearby and threw the guy off the range.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Was spotting for my daughter while she was practicing some offhand rifle at a range we normally avoid. Some goof walks up behind her and stands between her and the guy on the lane next to her and raises some bigass revolver up taking aim at we're not sure which target. Problem is he's holding the pistol less than 3 feet behind her head while standing between shooters on two adjacent lanes. (It was pointed downrange and not at her.)

I look at him, over her shoulder, and yell, "Stop! What the hell do you think you're doing?" Daughter thought I was yelling at her and she had her mag dropped, rifle cleared and safed and on the bench with an empty chamber indicator inserted in about two seconds flat. It was really beautiful to watch how quickly she went from ready to fire to hands off a cleared weapon.

The goof looks at me and in his very best Forrest Gump imitation slowly says, "Well I wuz just shootin at mah target." I told him that indeed he wasn't shooting at anything. The RO was nearby and threw the guy off the range.

WOW, (I'm glad to hear your daughter's head is in the right place) just WOW! I guess I miss out on antics like this because I shoot at home, but hearing these stories kinda unnerves me to say the least.

tomharkness

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    I like the idea of drawing from the holster because pulling the trigger is not the only thing that you need to be practicing... if you can't find it or get it out of where you have it hidden... might as well not have it in the first place. Removing it from the holster safely is just as important as shooting it.

I had a fellow firefighter shoot himself in the leg while pulling his pistol out of his pants because he had his finger on the trigger while removing it.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    There are so many people that piss me off in general that narrowing it down to range idiocy will take a little bit of thought. But, I was shooting indoors the other day and there were too assclowns that came in and set up next to me. One of them was Scottish, English, some kind of overseas guy(you know how popular handguns are over there) and he has this other dipsh*t with him who apparently didnt have much more expertise than his buddy from across the pond. Well, they were shooting the standard human targets(I dont know the technical name for them) and after ever mag, they would high five each other and discuss the parts of the anatomy that each bullet hit. "Wow, I got him in the kidneys" "Wow, you shot him in the nuts, he wont be going anywhere" etc..... I wanted to light them both up with a flamethrower!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    A "Standard human target" would imply a person AKA a bad guy. LOL! I think the "proper" name is a "standard silhouette" target. But don't hold me to that I'm not sure either.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    How about the old man that hold his pistol PARALLEL to the range and try to get a live jamed round out of the chamber. I almost dropped one old man when i took my little sister out to the range to teach her the proper way to handle and fire a firearm

Top Bottom