• ...and so much more!
  • Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I have a Model 94 Winchester that was made in 1920
    It’s loose and worn out, my Dads rifle from when he was a teenager. I could shoot it, but don’t want to. I’m happy to keep it in the safe and take it out and admire it occasionally.
    Pics?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Pics?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I will sometime over the holiday, it’s buried deep in the back of the safe.
    It’s a cool old gun, used to have the saddle ring on it and my dad hand painted a whitetail deer on the stock when he was 14, that’s when he got the gun.
    They grew up poor and his 2 older brothers left home in the early 50s to go work in a steel mill and one trip back for Thanksgiving, they bought this gun at a pawn shop and brought it back home to my dad on a Trailways bus.
    Think of doing that today..

There is not another one like it , very special to me since my dad passed away this year. He personally gave it to me about 6 years ago before the Alzheimer’s got bad and he couldn’t rememeber.
    But he was sharp that day he passed it down to me, with the warning to never sell it and always pass it down the family line.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I will sometime over the holiday, it’s buried deep in the back of the safe.
    It’s a cool old gun, used to have the saddle ring on it and my dad hand painted a whitetail deer on the stock when he was 14, that’s when he got the gun.
    They grew up poor and his 2 older brothers left home in the early 50s to go work in a steel mill and one trip back for Thanksgiving, they bought this gun at a pawn shop and brought it back home to my dad on a Trailways bus.
    Think of doing that today..

There is not another one like it , very special to me since my dad passed away this year. He personally gave it to me about 6 years ago before the Alzheimer’s got bad and he couldn’t rememeber.
    But he was sharp that day he passed it down to me, with the warning to never sell it and always pass it down the family line.
    I found a Webley Mark? in my Grandads attic Cal.455.760. He told me he might give it to me if I worked hard that summer. It rode in my suitcase on a Greyhound to California. Around 1969

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Totally depends on the individual firearm and its condition.
    Solid working condition? - yep, I'd shoot it.
    Poor working condition or so rare that it can never be repaired/replaced? No.
    The ammo would be hand loaded by me.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    My grandfathers' uncle was a rep for Winchester. Good shot, glorified salesman. He sold my grandfather a Winchester Model 21 with 2 sets of barrels. One set Cylinder and Improved the other Improved and Modified. At the same time another uncle bought one with just one set of barrels. My grandfather paid $300 new from the factory in the 1930's. They were hand made and you could not swap the barrels between the 2. The family still has grandpas, and it will still knock a pheasant down real quick. My nephew has it and is afraid to shoot it. It's a field grade and it needs to be used regularly.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Nope, one of the many that got away. Some said I was over pressuring the gun by shooting .45acp in it. And the 455 stuff cost a fortune back then

Not sure how you could shoot .45 ACP in it unless the cylinder was shaved, at which point you would need moon clips to shoot .455 Webley. But you are correct in that factory .45 ACP is way too much pressure for the pistol.

And .455 still costs a fortune, and if anything is even tougher to find. It gets worse with the Webley Mk I I have, which can only shoot low pressure, black powder loads. I am still looking for some ammo to shoot through it, although I am sure I could put 6-12 normal .455 rounds through it without risking too much!

91B10

HATES: Politicians and Rust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2015
    South Texas
    1873 Springfield trapdoor cadet model 45-70. We use black powder handloads with a 60gr charge (405 gr cast hollow base bullet) so we dont hurt the old thing. My son loves it. Less often shot is our Model 1941 Johnson Inf. Rifle talk about an expensive good time!

91B10

HATES: Politicians and Rust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2015
    South Texas
    I wonder... I believe the 45 colt case is VERY close to the Webley in most dimensions except length. The colt being 10mm longer, you could probably cut down a 45 colt case and load it with a 230gr cast lead (original Webley was 265gr) .45 and 6 gr of black power (original load 5.5-7.5 gr) and be very close... im sure there is literature somewhere on this. Also I believe Fiochi makes current production ammo for the .455.
    Just FYI.. I like the Kipling quote!

Andyd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    One of the rarest handgun I own is a special run S&W M19-3 with fixed sights and not cut-out for the trigger overtravel stop, of which 500 were made for the French GIGN and very few made it into civilian hands. I enjoy shooting it but am careful to keep it in good shape.

RS2.jpg

Some others might be more valuable but are regular production guns, like the Merkels. P210s or Korths.

Merkel_200_r.jpg

P210_in_case.jpg

Korth_(13).jpg

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Not sure how you could shoot .45 ACP in it unless the cylinder was shaved, at which point you would need moon clips to shoot .455 Webley. But you are correct in that factory .45 ACP is way too much pressure for the pistol.

And .455 still costs a fortune, and if anything is even tougher to find. It gets worse with the Webley Mk I I have, which can only shoot low pressure, black powder loads. I am still looking for some ammo to shoot through it, although I am sure I could put 6-12 normal .455 rounds through it without risking too much!

I offered to send you modified 45 Schoefield cases of the correct Webley MKI length but you said you don't reload.

Don't use 45 Colt as the rims are too small to reliably extract. If the Colt rim slips past the extractor, you now have an issue.

The 45 Schoefield cases have the correct diameter rim and can be 'thinned' to headspace in the cylinder.

A SHAVED cylinder can simply use 45 AUTORIM cases loaded to Webley pressures. You can also get one of these?? I bought one and it is great.

https://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/webleymarkvI.html

I have both shaved and original Webleys in my collection and I make my own cases from 45 Schoefield and Autorim cases.

I also make black powder in my Harbor Freight tumbler and press 'cakes' to grind.
    I also have RCBS Hollow Base mold.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...455-diameter-265-grain-round-nose-hollow-base

Assembled ammo would need to be shipped ORM-D and I don't know about finding a willing carrier. (NOT USPS!!)

I already turn 30 WCF into 30 Remington and now am working on 7.62 x 45 for my Czech model 52 rifle. Probably go with 220 Swift cases.

I like to get surplus firearms that use ammo that is NLA because they can be had CHEAP. Then just resize cases that are still available.

Having a drill press and a small lathe helps a lot!!

bob

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Winchester youth model 67. Papaw helped teach us to shoot with it. Kept it in a shed in Lake Charles. Word is, he got it from my great uncle Bill. Note the exposed thumb screw, finger grooves, blued trigger guard and chromed trigger.
    The Winchester historian says the youth model was never released in that configuration. The finger grooves and exposed mounting screw were eliminated at least a year before the youth model came out.
    It has NOT been cut down.
    I did have to refinish it as it was severely weather damaged. Still shoots great though.
    17d56cf85f1d343da6ea6e99e84155bd.jpg
    6d44c36ed082aea9839e591f8d9d28e5.jpg
    b2e80b3d69ea84d413a193c446fcf08b.jpg
    c7620b89b91943864c22db505e96b5fc.jpg

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Another tidbit.
    Stock was severely weather damaged Walnut but refinished beautifully. The barrel was rusted on the outside but the bore was clean.
    I stripped the barrel, quite a few times I might add. Used every cleaner and oil remover you could think of including acetone. But the barrel would not re-blue. But the blueing on, and it was gorgeous!! And wiped off with a cotton ball. Tried every blue and brown on the market. Same results. Gunsmith as well. Called the Colorado School of Gumsmithing, late '70s, and they had no clue.wound up with Gunkote.
    Don't know a value, but to me it is priceless. I still teach kids to shoot with it.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Winchester youth model 67. Papaw helped teach us to shoot with it. Kept it in a shed in Lake Charles. Word is, he got it from my great uncle Bill. Note the exposed thumb screw, finger grooves, blued trigger guard and chromed trigger.
    The Winchester historian says the youth model was never released in that configuration. The finger grooves and exposed mounting screw were eliminated at least a year before the youth model came out.
    It has NOT been cut down.
    I did have to refinish it as it was severely weather damaged. Still shoots great though. View attachment 158582 View attachment 158583 View attachment 158584 View attachment 158585

Scary ... brought back memories.

Had a Model 67 until a home break-in about 1989.
    Grandfather, who we called "Papaw", gave it to me when I was 9.

He bought it used at the weekly stock sale, just for me, but teased me with it for hours before finally giving to me, with a box of .22 and the admonition not to shoot any of his cows.

That gun turned me into the Squirrel Hunting Champion of the world ...
    Well, at least S. Louisiana ... which was my world at the time, and full of squirrels - 'till I came along.

Top Bottom