• ...and so much more!
  • RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    1551525_621789111190998_850297816_n.jpg

This is a picture the military has never let anyone see until now. This is a picture behind the scenes at Dover Air Force Base where the bodies of fallen soldiers are prepared for burial. And that includes being properly dressed, all the way down to the smallest detail. In this picture Staff Sgt. Miguel Deynes is making sure the uniform is just right for an army pilot recently killed in Afghanistan. There is a very specific process once a fallen soldier is returned home. The bodies are flown back to the U.S. on a cargo jet. A team of service members wearing white gloves carries the coffins, covered with flags, to a white van that takes them to the Armed Forces Medical Examiner. The remains are washed, the hands are scrubbed clean, and the hair is shampooed. If necessary bones are wired together and damaged tissue is reconstructed with flesh-toned wax. Sometimes they will use photos, sometimes just intuition to recreate the wrinkles in faces, and the lines around the mouth or the corner of the eyes. “It has to look normal, like someone who is sleeping.” Once the body is ready then the uniform is prepared. That includes putting medals in the proper order on the ribbon rack above the jacket’s breast pocket. During the height of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan 10 to 20 bodies were arriving every day. The embalmers often worked all night to get the bodies home on time. That can take an emotional toll so the mortuary has a large gym so workers can blow off steam. Many say they are haunted by how young the fallen soldiers are, and by how many of them leave behind small children. That’s why Sgt. Deynes says they are advised not to do research into the backgrounds of the soldiers. “If I knew the story of every individual who went through here, I would probably be in a padded cell.” The dress uniform being prepared in this particular case will be in a closed casket. Even so, it will be perfectly tailored, starched and pressed. Everything will be checked down to the last detail. Sgt. Deynes says, “They’re (the family) not going to see it. I do it for myself. It’s more than an honor it’s a blessing to dress that soldier for the last time.” NEVER FORGET!

posted from my couch!
    Texas SOT

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    A portion of that is covered in the HBO movie Taking Chance.

If it interests you I would strongly encourage you to find a copy. This is one of the best movies HBO has ever done, it covers the procedure at Dover, and the process of returning a fallen service member to the family.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Outstanding movie. If you can find it there a movie about the tomb of the unkown soldier
    Good one too. Thanks to all who have served

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    That's something i bet most have never thought of. The people that deal with the bodies day, and night. What a toll on there heads. I would think that is as haunting as any combat role.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    I've known about this for a long time. It just dawned on me, that none that I can see are Clergy. I guess it is pretty close to regular graves registration. This is truly work that comes from the heart.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Things can get pretty rough at times for mortuary affairs personnel from what I hear. Definitely one of the less glorified jobs, but probably one of the most honorable.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    There was special on this on military channel or discovery or something like that quite some time ago. There was big interest in it a few years into the wars so they made a film showing the whole process.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    One of my students joined the Air Force and became the ground crew chief for an F-16 fighter. He was gung ho and loved the service. Then he was assigned to cargo aircraft to transport caskets of our fallen heros back home. He told me that it F'ed up his head and finally caused him to leave the service.

Flash

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Not .mil but my religion members, who've gone through the temple, bodies are dressed by members of the church, who are temple worthy, before they are laid to rest. Male members dress male members and female, female. Not normally done by the family church members are asked. It's a sacred ordinance. It's a humbling experience so I can relate to the above.

Top Bottom