• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    The other day I was at Ross in Pearland looking for some summer shirts that work well for CC and other things. After I made my purchase I was stopped by store security.

I was being accused of shoplifting. The "security guard" in front of God and everybody demanded I raise my shirt and show him what was under it. As I was carrying I was not going to do it. I told him I would be more than happy to do so but not in the public area of the store. He got on his radio and a moment latter he said the the police where on the way.

After about 20 minutes the LEO showed up. The guard told the LEO I was a shoplifter. We are still standing in front of the registers. LEO comes to me and asks for my ID so I give him both and tell him I am armed. Told him I had offered to raise my shirt to the guard but only in a non public area of the store.

We walked back to the office area of the store. I raised my shirt, the guard says "He has a gun, I want him arrested", LEO asked about the lack 30.06 signage. The guard said he did not care and once again demanded that I be arrested.

This is where the LEO earns his CUDO, not only did he ream that guard every which way but Sunday, but told the guard the next time a customer said that they would not raise their shirt in the public part of the store you could bet they are armed and he needed to apologize to me in public.

On my way our of the store I stopped at the register and got my $250+ back from my purchases while the guard got on the PA and apologized.

Will never go back to that Ross again.
    Hurley's Gold

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    KUDO'S to you for sticking to your guns...hehehe literally and KUDO'S to the officer for telling that security guard what a moron he is.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    could only imagine if the security guard tried to disarm you had he seen the gun before the LEO was there. good lord.

+1 for the LEO

Dare I ask if he ever gave reason as to why he thought you were shoplifting

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Wow, that could have gone horribly wrong very quickly. Good work keeping a cool head and most certainly a huge thumbs up to the LEO.

If it were me, I'd write a nice letter to the LEO, the department and the local paper. You don't necessarily have to reveal details about the event rather acknowledge the excellent professionalism.

I'd also be writing a letter of a more serious sort to Ross

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    That's a pretty amazing story and a good one the way it turned out. The guy with the gun is the good guy, doing the right thing.

I don't think I'd be pissed at the store because of the security guard though. Most stores like that don't hire highly trained guards, just someone that provides a look that might deter theft. Kinda of like the sticker some people put on their front window saying they have a Security Alarm when, all they have is a sticker.

I would however, contact Ross regional folks to make sure they know what happened so they can make corrections with their guard service (assuming they don't have direct hired guards)

I'm assuming a start Manager was involved as well? If so, what was their reaction?

Cool story, although I'm sure pretty embarrassing at the moment.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    could only imagine if the security guard tried to disarm you had he seen the gun before the LEO was there. good lord.

+1 for the LEO

Dare I ask if he ever gave reason as to why he thought you were shoplifting

Me too. I think he might have almost made you. Either you shifted the gun without realizing it or he saw a bulge under your clothes. Either way, its a good time to reevaluate the concealment just in case.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You were falsely accused of shoplifting and you stopped? A bulge under the clothes is not even nearly good enough for store security to stop someone on suspicion of shoplifting. They have to see you take stuff for one thing.

There are six steps you need to go through to detain a shoplifter:

Shoplifting, Detention Arrest, security consultant, Chris McGoey, shoplifting, loss prevention expert
    1. You must see the shoplifter approach your merchandise
    2. You must see the shoplifter select your merchandise
    3. You must see the shoplifter conceal or carry away or convert your merchandise
    4. You must maintain continuous observation the shoplifter
    5. You must see the shoplifter fail to pay for the merchandise
    6. You must approach the shoplifter outside of the store

You could hit Ross' mall ninja with false arrest. I'd write a letter to his boss at the store and corporate pointing this fact out, and make sure he's canned ASAP. He had no business stopping you, and if he stays on the job long enough and does it enough times, he will meet someone willing to physically resist his unlawful arrest.

In fact, I'd consider filing charges against said mall ninja if you have his name, and the officer's name, especially if there's a police report on the incident (which you should have filed immediately IMO).

Kudos on the officer for reaming the loser for being an idiot.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My wife sued Foley's for falsely accusing her of shoplifting 20 some years ago. Out court settlement was $60K. It's a shame they didn't strip search you. That Pearland cop messed up a good thing. If he would of took you down in todays money it would have to be worth $100K.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    ^^ That's what I'm talking about!! Stupidity should hurt, and it does if you do your part!

Heaven help store security if they try taking me down when I've done nothing wrong. I don't CCW, but I will fight back.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    The Ross in Corpus had a man wearing a black smock, yes a smock, that said "loss prevention" in yellow letters on the back

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    On my way our of the store I stopped at the register and got my $250+ back from my purchases ...

Great story, thorkyl! Good for you for maintaining your composure and getting such great treatment from the LEO. I especially like the part I quoted above!

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Mailed the following last night;

Dear Chief Doyle;

I would like to commend one of your officers for a job well done. While shopping at the Ross store on [date removed] I was confronted by the store security and accused of shoplifting. The ensuing events led to your fine officer, [name omitted], arriving at the scene and bringing the confusion to a quick and respectful end. If you would refer to case # [xxxxxxxx] you will see the details of this call and the professional resolution brought by your officer. It is great to know that your City has such officers on its staff. Although I am not a resident of Pearland, I would like to extend a big thank you to you and your officers for the wonderful, and respectful job in dealing with the issues revolving around CHL holders.

My name
    address

cc
    Governor Perry's Office
    Pearland City Council
    Channel 26 Houston
    Channel 13 Houston
    Channel 11 Houston
    Channel 2 Houston

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Mailed the following last night;

Dear Chief Doyle;

I would like to commend one of your officers for a job well done. While shopping at the Ross store on [date removed] I was confronted by the store security and accused of shoplifting. The ensuing events led to your fine officer, [name omitted], arriving at the scene and bringing the confusion to a quick and respectful end. If you would refer to case # [xxxxxxxx] you will see the details of this call and the professional resolution brought by your officer. It is great to know that your City has such officers on its staff. Although I am not a resident of Pearland, I would like to extend a big thank you to you and your officers for the wonderful, and respectful job in dealing with the issues revolving around CHL holders.

My name
    address

cc
    Governor Perry's Office
    Pearland City Council
    Channel 26 Houston
    Channel 13 Houston
    Channel 11 Houston
    Channel 2 Houston

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I have a slight advantage in dealing with LEO's.
    My brother is LEO and I deal with them on a regular basis with the search and rescue team.

I take the attitude of
    Smile and Wave, it makes them feel warm and fuzzy
    or makes them wonder what your up to...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom