• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I picked up a new battery for my RC plane hoping to get some good video from the Hicksville meet. My video idea fail but I fell in love with the plane again. These things are incredibly fun to fly.

My starter plane was one of 3 that were recommended by the hobby shop. It's the E-Flight Apprentice S. All electric with about 10 minutes of flight time. That's more than enough to wear you out if you are learning and pushing yourself to do more and not crash.

This model, as well as the HobbyZone Delta Ray and Cub S come with SAFE. I don't know what the letters stand for but it means it has built in training modes. Mode 1 only allows about 30* of pitch and roll, the plane also levels itself anytime the controls are released. It works well enough that on a windy day you can turn the plane in to the wind, cut all power to the motor (no throttle) and the plane will glide level as long as it's facing the right direction. I had it up for a good 5 minutes the other day using only the rudder to keep it facing in to the wind. If it goes out of controler range, it is supposed to circle and descend until it reaches the ground or gets signal again. Haven't tested this.

On mode 2 it allows ~45* pitch and roll, and the plane doesn't auto level. Works very good for getting the hang of really flying it without getting yourself upside down and crashing.

Mode 3 allows full control for flips, barrel rolls, and crashed.

In all three modes there is a momentary switch you can hit that will level the plane if things get out of hand. If rights itself very quickly from any orientation.

I chose the Apprentice over the other two models because it has Ailerons, rudder, and elevators whereas the Delta only has Aileron and rudder. The Cub is cheaper, but much smaller and the controller looks to offer much less growth potential. The Delta was recommended as the best for a first plane, but I am stubborn and wanted the bigger one. All three can be seen on HorizonHobby.com with videos. Also, the flight test Youtube channel has a bunch of good real world vids testing planes.

I will post up some pics when I get a chance and hopefully get some video chowing how the SAFE system works when I get a chance.

Useful acronyms

RTF- Ready to fly. Everything you need will be in the box

BNF- Bind and Fly. Everything will be in the box except a transmitter

PNP- Plug and Play. Everything will be in the box except a transmitter, battery, and charger

ARF- Almost Ready to Fly. The plane body will be assembled, but you may need servos, motor, receiver, batteries, etc.

First plane should probably be a RTF with SAFE.

The Flight Test youtube channel has some good introductory vids.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I really had hoped the video was captured last Saturday.
    That woulda been cool.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I bought a plane years ago (AFTF) and put it all together. I was afraid to fly it. I just knew I would be picking up shards of balsa wood.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My dad built a balsa plane when I was a kid. I remember him flying it in to a chain link fence at the city park within the first couple of flights and that was the end of it. Too expensive to repair.

Now there are TONS of beginner and intermediate level planes made of foam. Most anything busted can be replaced cheap or repaired with a $5 bottle of glue.

They are VERY durable. Mine has crashed in almost every way you could imagine from trees, to power lines, to catching one wing in a fence.

Only part I've had to buy was the horizontal tail piece because I pushed the plane way to hard in a dive and pulled up way to fast.

They can handle some crashes.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I really had hoped the video was captured last Saturday.
    That woulda been cool.

My lack of prior planning killed that. I thought the phone could make it.

It actually stopped recording when it crashed in the first takeoff attempt and I didn't notice. I hope to have a dedicated camera for it soon.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I had a model rocket as a kid in the 80's with a 110 camera built into the nose. It would take a picture after the chute deployed and it was free falling back down. I can remember the 45 mile drive into town to develop the film. We only got to go every other week or so and it would kill me.

W

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I had a model rocket as a kid in the 80's with a 110 camera built into the nose. It would take a picture after the chute deployed and it was free falling back down. I can remember the 45 mile drive into town to develop the film. We only got to go every other week or so and it would kill me.

W

I had one of those. Lost it before the roll filled up.

Top Bottom