RC Plane thread!!!

Discussion in 'RC Gadgets' started by Younggun, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Don't forget the recoil effect....

2. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've seen several vids of Roman candles on planes. Facing front or back didn't seem to have any effect, I think the prop will be fine if they are mounted at least half way out on the wings. Would probably be worse to have one hit the tail anyways.

Those extras long sparklers would be cool if you had a safe place to take off with them burning.

3. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Sure sounds pretty cool.

4. Coiled

Coiled Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Ifartistan
    That would be cool but I'm flyin a 2lb foamie. I don't think the wing tips could handle the recoil / resultant torque not to mention if one candle happened to weigh significantly less (1/4 oz. would be huge) after firing, the balance would be way off and control difficult at best.

5. Coiled

Coiled Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Ifartistan
    I see mounting the candle at the wing/fuse intersection aimed off center to avoid the prop or tail, just not sure how I'll maintain that position.

6. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Light it mid air... Disconnect your parachute drop and wire it to relay connected to a model rocket igniter on the sparkler.

7. Coiled

Coiled Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Ifartistan
    If I did the sparklers I would create some kind of loop below the fuse, near the center of weight, then probably a sewing thread tether to the sparkler well beyond the tail. I want a weak link somewhere, not a totaled plane.

8. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Finished patching up my Cub yesterday and tuned the engine so it was purring like a kitten.

Went to fly and started having minor issues from the outset. Not being a quitter and knowing better than to learn from past mistakes I flew it anyways.

Ha fled pretty well but the engine cut out before I found the glide slop for landing. Managed a hard landing out in the field and only broke a solder joint on the landing gear. Spent the morning taking the engine back to factory settings and burned a tank retuning in. Filled it back up and just about finished off a second just running at different speeds, prolonged runs at idle, mid, and full throttle. Mixed in some time just throwing the throttle around from random points.

Might try to crash it again this evening.

9. Younggun

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Flew the Cub again and didn't have any engine problems. Seems a little weak on the top end so I may lean it just a hair. Overall it flew really well though. Might get it out tomorrow and try to fine tune it. Or just fly a few more tanks to let it break in completely before messing with it.

Ordered a replacement wing kit for the full wing version. This one is a clipped wing with a 56" wingspan. The full wing is 71". Gonna split the ailerons and add flaps.

Also ordered a kit for a Sig Senior. It's a stick build like the Cub with a longer tail moment and a 78" wingspan. No ailerons and meant to be a 3 channel trainer. I'll be taking most of the dihedral out of the wing and cutting in and building wide ailerons and flaps. The weight of the servos won't change the wing loading much due to the large area.

It will be a handful if there's much wind but should get me a plane that can take off and land almost anywhere in a scale fashion. There are plenty of 3D planes that could set down on the tail like a helicopter, but I like coming in on the verge of a stall and setting it down.

If all works out I may even attempt a backwards landing. Risky as hell cause if the wind stops blowing there's no way to recover.