• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • legaltrip

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2014
    I just started reloading. The press I use my dad bought in the 80s. it is mounted to a steel office desk and noticed a little flex in the desk reloading 5.56. will that cause any problems when I start loading for my 308? I don't want to mess up my new dies.
    Military Camp

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I agree with Vaquero on that.

A steel desk shouldn't be flexing that much. but if you want to be sure, you can pull it off and lay down an 18" X 18" piece of 1" plywood and bolt that down to the desk then remount through the wood and steel

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have the strength to physically pull the cartridge case apart but why do that? On bigger cases, I use the RCBS lube pad and just roll the cases on the pad. It makes working the brass SO much easier! They say that carbide dies don't need case lube. I don't want to work any harder than necessary, so I use the lube, anyway. Instead of beefing up the bench, try some lube!

A word of caution.....Since the late 1960's, I have pulled the rims off of a few cases. Every one of them was .223/5.56. If the cases are sticky, better use the lube.

I recommend the RCBS stuck case remover kit for about $20. It does a splendid job. If you wish, you can also assemble your own kit.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/504741/rcbs-stuck-case-remover?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Small cases like 9mm, .45acp and .40 cal, are easy to work so I seldom lube them. If I get tired, out comes the lube pad!

Flash

Last edited:

legaltrip

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2014
    I use lube on all of the cases. I just didn't know if the flex would cause any issue. I've pulled the case out of the holder before with it lubed up. do they make dies the just resize. I de-prime by hand.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I use lube on all of the cases. I just didn't know if the flex would cause any issue. I've pulled the case out of the holder before with it lubed up. do they make dies the just resize. I de-prime by hand.

The deprimer is part of the expanding ball stem. You need the expanding ball to get the case neck sized properly.

So, no, not really.

Use spray lube and put your cases in a Ziploc baggie and give them a few shots. Mix then up and give them a few more shots. This is the easiest way to lube your cases and it also lubes the inside of the neck.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I stand my cases up on a piece of plywood spaced about an inch apart in rows. Then I spray from all four directions from about a foot back and up. This gets lube on all sides and inside the case mouth.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I stand my cases up on a piece of plywood spaced about an inch apart in rows. Then I spray from all four directions from about a foot back and up. This gets lube on all sides and inside the case mouth.
    I used to do that using case holding blocks. Once I learned of the Ziploc baggy method I switched and never looked back. My lube usage went way down and saved me the time of standing them all up.

I also give one little shot up into the die.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Might have to give that a try but I'm still not clear on the "baggie" trick? You just dump them in and spray in the baggie?

(the saving of time issue is not a big deal to me, it takes only a couple of minutes to set the cases up)

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I use Hornady Unique sizing lube. It is awesome and a very little goes a long way. Unique and imperial sizing wax are some of the best you can get.

As far as the flexing goes just find some wood or plate steel and reinforce the table where the press mounts.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Might have to give that a try but I'm still not clear on the "baggie" trick? You just dump them in and spray in the baggie?

(the saving of time issue is not a big deal to me, it takes only a couple of minutes to set the cases up)

Fill a baggie half to three quarters full. Lay it on the side and spray a few shots into it. I use a pump spray so I say two pumps. Close the baggie and mix it up. Open it and give it two more pumps. Mix it up again and you are good to go. One little pump into the die and start resizing.

Obviously you know the signs of not enough lube but this technique works very well for me. As you reuse the baggie the old lube on the bag is wetted again and reused.

I don't wait for them to dry either. I start as soon as they are all mixed up. Spray lube is thin enough that it won't cause any issues or build up and dent shoulders.

It takes me about 30 seconds to lube up 100 cases or so. It works well for big calibers and small.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    do you need to use "case lube" or is it just a silicone lube found in any hardware store at 1/2 the cost of something marked reloading supply ?

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    There are homemade versions out there. I'm not sure on cost though. I bought my last bit of unique over 4 year's ago and it's not half empty yet and I load a good bit.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    do you need to use "case lube" or is it just a silicone lube found in any hardware store at 1/2 the cost of something marked reloading supply ?
    Case spray-lube is usually 1 part lanolin mixed with 12 parts of an alcohol of some kind eg isopropyl alcohol.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    if you ask 10 hand loaders about the best method of lubing, you are sure to get at least 12 opinions, maybe more:green:

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    I use an RCBS lube pad and the same key oil for line-o-type machines that my grandfather used when he was reloading 30 yrs ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom