• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atxbandit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I am thinking about getting into reloading and was wondering what people think about the RCBS Turret Deluxe Reloading Kit that Cabelas sales. I figure I will load about 200 rounds of 40 a month. When I buy an AR I will load for that too. Has anyone used this loader? If so how do you like? $350 for the kit is in my price range.
    Thanks,
    Ruben
    Hurley's Gold

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    First time reloader buy yourself a used Rock Chucker. I've used mine 30 years now. RCBS has great customer service. I recently bought a Dillon SDB used & it a great press if you only reload pistol ammo. I was thinking a Dillon super 1050 would be next.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I believe a new reloader should start with a very easy machine a single stage or a turret. one of the best turrets now is the lee classic cast which can be used in manual or auto-indexing and would cost about $200 or less for one caliber set up. The idea is start slow load a very few rounds at a time until you get the process. Its a great hobby which I've done for over 35 years, relaxing, turns out ammo better then commercial tailored for the gun you use and in time lower cost if you buy components in bulk.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I bought the RCBS "master reloader's kit" with the Rockchucker, I have absolutely NO reloading experience before and a few hours after getting home, I had a batch of .40SW loaded up that function flawlessly.

That was a few months ago and at this time I have loaded thousands of rounds of both pistol and rifle calibers and have been very pleased. I think the next purchase I will make will be some sort of turret press, and then after that maybe a progressive.

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    I looked at that kit, but I ended up buying the Hornady Classic reloading kit at Cabelas (Monday). I loaded up my first sets of .40 last night.

Range testing today and I was pleased, no problems at all.
    It all went bang, nice tight groups and I still have all my fingers. :)

atxbandit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I believe a new reloader should start with a very easy machine a single stage or a turret. one of the best turrets now is the lee classic cast which can be used in manual or auto-indexing and would cost about $200 or less for one caliber set up. The idea is start slow load a very few rounds at a time until you get the process. Its a great hobby which I've done for over 35 years, relaxing, turns out ammo better then commercial tailored for the gun you use and in time lower cost if you buy components in bulk.

I think I will be ordering the Lee Classic Turret Press Reloading Kit from Cabelas. At $164.99 for the kit I can get started for under $300 with dies, caliper, etc. From what I have read on this press it is easy to setup and use.
    Thanks for the input.

atxbandit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good thing the range(LoneStar) I shoot at is 22 miles from my house and I can only get out there 2 or 3 times a month. I normally only shoot a 100 rounds a time. Occasionally I'll shoot 150.
    Ruben

Texshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I had similar thoughts about the amount of .40 I would load per month, but once I went to the range and fired some of my own loads, I have already loaded/shot 200 rnds in a week. :)

My experience was similar. You do tend to shoot more once you start reloading. I have the Lee classic turret.

Tex

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I really cannot give you an answer on the lee progressive I have always used turret or single stage, but I found the new Lee classic to be fairly fast and able to be used in stages or auto indexing, I just feel more safe in closely monitoring my loads and have seen too many mistakes on progressives, however many use the progressive presses and would not use any other.

txsyotehntr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    I have a rock Chucker and a Dillon 550. A friend gave me the RCBS and several dies and after that I was hooked.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Oh guys dont tell me Ill be firing more rounds if I start reloading my own ammo. Im already firing 200rnds everytime I go out LOL.

cmanhof

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Just ordered this press

I just ordered this from Cabelas. Not only do I like the RCBS for value but this turret press can be used as both a single press or a progressive. So, I can learn with a single press but still have a little room to grow with this.

Cheers from GA

atxbandit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wow what a suprise, I haven't been on the forum in I don't know how long and saw this thread again. Although I haven't use the press in over 6 months I was very happy with the Lee classic turret. My bench and press are out in Paige at my brothers but his wife threw him out about 4 months ago. I need to have a yard sale or something to get rid of some stuff and bring my bench home.

Top Bottom