Re-barreling a Lefty AR

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by SteveW, Apr 7, 2008.

1. SteveW

SteveW New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    Folks, I have a Stag Arms AR carbine that is left handed. I want to re-barrel it and wondered just how much is different because of the left handed bit.. I know that upper and bolt are different, but what about the barrel extension that sets the headspace on an AR ? Will that be different for a left handed version ?

Thanks..

2. mac79912

mac79912 Well-Known

Mar 4, 2008
    I also have the Stag AR.I would take the rifle to a gunsmith and have them change out your barrel.I have built a few ARs but never worked on the left handed model.

3. SteveW

SteveW New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    Normally re-barreling an AR is as easy as falling off a log. You strip off the handguards and gas tube, unscrew the barrel nut and pull the barrel out of the upper. The bolt to barrel headspace is set by adjusting the barrel extension (the thing the bolt locks into). This is normally done by the barrel vendor if the barrel comes with an extension on it. Most do.. I just don't know if there is anything different about a left handed bolt or barrel extension that would mean I had to pay special attention when ordering the parts to do the job..

What I am planning on doing is turning the lefty carbine into a lefty target gun. 16" stainless bull barrel, Clark free float tube, Timney trigger and a Magpul stock.

S.

4. LR-AR-LB

LR-AR-LB New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    AR Lefty

No problem Lefty, I can do your mods if ya want got the tools , exp etc. Currently have 2 AR builds. In Kerrville area let me know.
    BTW .223? We could do it while youre here and save a trip.