• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I'm not aware that Abbott has endorsed anyone at this point. I don't know if he will or not. It won't matter to me one way or another. Patterson is the man but I'll support whoever the nominee is to prevent Van De Putte from getting in.

hard eight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Richardson
    Ryan had his chance with Romney, the Republican party won't recycle him as he's already "lost." I know it wasn't his fault, and I wasn't the biggest Romney fan but it was better than the alternative. I would have rather had Ryan instead of Romney, but some could argue that Ron Paul did them no favors either.

Regardless, Cruz hasn't even started to campaign so that's a long road out. Dewhurst has dropped the ball for 2A rights and in my opinion that's his ticket out. Patterson is a proven supporter of the 2A (as is Cruz and Abbott), and we need leaders who don't waiver. No politician is perfect (well, except Reagan! :D ) but we've got some good ones with Cruz, Abbott and Patterson and they are the kind of people we need in charge of this state to reverse the negative trend its been going down (seriously, Wendy Davis running? How low has the Democratic party sunk that she's their best candidate?!?)
    Dems did us a favor with Wendy. One-issue candidate and that issue is pro-abortion? Good Luck with that. /s

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm not aware that Abbott has endorsed anyone at this point. I don't know if he will or not. It won't matter to me one way or another. Patterson is the man but I'll support whoever the nominee is to prevent Van De Putte from getting in.

The main thing is just that Republicans get out and vote. If we had higher turnout we would have better officials and way less democrats. Republicans really need a huge turnout in 2014 to send the national democrats a clear message.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Dems did us a favor with Wendy. One-issue candidate and that issue is pro-abortion? Good Luck with that. /s

It cannot be said strongly enough - do NOT underestimate this woman or the lengths to which the left will go to try to get her into the Governors Mansion. She's already downplaying the abortion thing (which, as you say, is her only claim to fame), and the media is letting her get away with it.

Do not get complacent and do not get caught up in eating our own. She and Van De Putte need to be beaten and they need to be beaten badly.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It cannot be said strongly enough - do NOT underestimate this woman or the lengths to which the left will go to try to get her into the Governors Mansion. She's already downplaying the abortion thing (which, as you say, is her only claim to fame), and the media is letting her get away with it.

Do not get complacent and do not get caught up in eating our own. She and Van De Putte need to be beaten and they need to be beaten badly.

Absolutely. We should never assume any candidate or office is safe. Sen Davis has actually said she is pro life. I have a book at home that says the father of lies is Satan.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

Trust this.

Texas is the crown jewel that the Democrats desire. The entire nation of liberals will give all they can muster to her campain. Time and money.
    The best campain team since obammy '08.
    Do not think the Governor's mansion is safe. Not by a mile.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    The only thing that even gives Republicans a fighting chance at the presidency is Texas, and even that's becoming more and more of a long shot. If Texas ever turns, the GOP can kiss the presidency goodbye and there will be absolutely no pressure for the Dem's to even pay lip service to a "moderate". NY, NJ, California, Illinois, and Texas would pretty much be an electoral cake walk for them. That's why they want this so bad.

It bears repeating - do NOT underestimate this woman.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I think ive almost fallen into the GOP, "get behind the incumbent early on and start the general election before the primaries" sort of political mentality.
    Well that's just wrong thinking right there... Obviously it's preferable to vote for the republican candidate in the general election, but the primaries is where you get to choose which republican. I'm choosing the most pro-freedom/small government candidate I think we have, which is Patterson. He has a record of getting things done as well. While Suzanna Hupp's story was the PR campaign, we never would have gotten concealed carry without Patterson.

IMO, good ole boy statists like Dewhurst are what is ruining the republican party nation wide. I can't do much about the republicans they elect in AZ or CT, but I can definitely help the right ones get elected here.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    IMO, good ole boy statists like Dewhurst are what is ruining the republican party nation wide. I can't do much about the republicans they elect in AZ or CT, but I can definitely help the right ones get elected here.

I agree with that to an extent. We did get the pro-life bill passed eventually with Dewhurst presiding, but as someone mentioned earlier he isn't always a leader and that fiasco proved that.

I can't find any poll numbers but it is hard to unseat an incumbent but certainly not impossible.

Is Patterson Tea Party connected/endorsed/supported?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have no dog in the fight of Dewhurst's competence in his job. I am, however, sorely pissed at him for the dirty, backstabbing campaign he ran against Ted Cruz. If you can justify the ugliness of the Dewhurst campaign behavior, I'll listen to arguments on his service. Without that, Dewhurst is not going to get my support.

PS to the campaign story.............Ted Cruz is EXACTLY what we needed in Congress! It's sad to think that we could have missed out on all of the fun!

Flash

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Even Anonymous backs Patterson:

Eh, I'm tired and it's not copying right. Just watch the attached video then click on the one on the right with the Texas flag in the background.

Last edited:

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I agree with that to an extent. We did get the pro-life bill passed eventually with Dewhurst presiding, but as someone mentioned earlier he isn't always a leader and that fiasco proved that.

I can't find any poll numbers but it is hard to unseat an incumbent but certainly not impossible.

Is Patterson Tea Party connected/endorsed/supported?

Dewhurst shouldn't be hard to unseat. Cruz was essentially an unknown at the time and pretty much crushed him in the runoff. The main thing going for him is that there are three other far better qualified candidates running against him and that will likely split the anti-Dewhurst vote. At worst, he'll go to a runoff and get crushed again.

I remember hearing Dan Patrick talking to a reporter the morning after the Davis filibuster. He was livid with Dewhurst for allowing that to happen. He went into a number of parliamentary procedures that could have either cut off the debate, or brought the bill up a day or two earlier when a filibuster would have been physically impossible, or even just adjourned the session without bringing up the bill and letting Perry call the special. Instead, he played right into the Democrat's hand and allowed the spectacle to happen, thus enshrining Davis as the media's liberal darling and setting the wheels in motion for the various abortion rallies that followed.

That's the kind of thing that will bring him down. Yeah, sure, he's been a steady, reliable supporter of the pro-life and other conservative causes. That's great and I appreciate it, and maybe that's good enough for a representative or senator. But as Lt. Governor, he's got to go above and beyond that. When you know the other side is setting the stage for a fight, and you have the power to cut them off at the knees before it gets to that point, you do it. We are fighting a ruthless and relentless enemy and in many ways, Texas is truly the last line of defense. I don't know that Dewhurst really understands that.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Dewhurst shouldn't be hard to unseat. Cruz was essentially an unknown at the time and pretty much crushed him in the runoff. The main thing going for him is that there are three other far better qualified candidates running against him and that will likely split the anti-Dewhurst vote. At worst, he'll go to a runoff and get crushed again.

I remember hearing Dan Patrick talking to a reporter the morning after the Davis filibuster. He was livid with Dewhurst for allowing that to happen. He went into a number of parliamentary procedures that could have either cut off the debate, or brought the bill up a day or two earlier when a filibuster would have been physically impossible, or even just adjourned the session without bringing up the bill and letting Perry call the special. Instead, he played right into the Democrat's hand and allowed the spectacle to happen, thus enshrining Davis as the media's liberal darling and setting the wheels in motion for the various abortion rallies that followed.

That's the kind of thing that will bring him down. Yeah, sure, he's been a steady, reliable supporter of the pro-life and other conservative causes. That's great and I appreciate it, and maybe that's good enough for a representative or senator. But as Lt. Governor, he's got to go above and beyond that. When you know the other side is setting the stage for a fight, and you have the power to cut them off at the knees before it gets to that point, you do it. We are fighting a ruthless and relentless enemy and in many ways, Texas is truly the last line of defense. I don't know that Dewhurst really understands that.

I was deeply disappointed at all of the shenanigans that were allowed to unfold around Sen Davis. He could have and should have taken any number of measures to ensure the bill passed in the regular session but didnt and it not only allowed her a voice but also to make a name. He could have stopped all of it or at the least got it passed in that session and not had it go down to the last minute.

As ive said multiple times, i was there, im the Senate when the passed the bill protecting more unborn life in Texas. It was an experience ill never forget. The pro abortion crowd was nearly a demonic crowd with their screams and chants and worship of death. I met a lot of good pro lifers there. Old folks who stood on their feet for 12 hours to occupy the senate gallery so the leftists couldnt have a repeat of the first go around and block the Senates activity with mob action. They tried but there was too much opposition to them and DPS was ready. Im not a single issue voter and i perhaps have been overly loyal to Dewhurst for finally getting the bill passed in the face of so much opposition.

I appreciate everyones input in this thread. Dash might have just nailed it for me though. During "normal" times a run of the mill Republican may be enough but we are under attack and need leaders, such as Ted Cruz, in all offices. Dewhurst did indeed allow the opposition to run the Senate, to dictate the terms of the debate and even the vote. He could have taken the vote behind closed doors earlier, shut down Sen Davis earlier using the same rules they eventually employed and he could have had DPS clear people out earlier. Above all he could have called the bill much much earlier in the session and avoided it all.

I do contend that politics isnt as simple as some would make it out to be. There is a lot of strategy and dealing that we dont get. But he set "my side" up to lose and allowed the opposition to grow and get more attention and find a "leader" to rally around in their death cult.

You have very well informed and well formed thoughts Dash. This is an extraordinary time for the party and it calls for extraordinary leaders. Im going to have to reluctantly pull my support from Dewhurst. Please though folks, IF he does win the primary, do get out and vote for him in the general election.

Until then though, ill have to look at Patterson and consider supporting him and doing what I can in central Texas to ensure we have a leader in the Lt Gov office who supports life and our ability to defend and preserve life with our 2nd Amendment rights fully exercised.

Im exhausted. Thanks to everyone whos been part of this and for your thoughtful insights and most of all for allowing me the time and thought needed in this decision.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    BTW - If you haven't hear Patterson tell his story about standing atop his BBQ grill in his underpants with his gun, helping the cops find some criminal loose in his neighborhood, you absolutely need to!!!!

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Im a huge Ted Cruz fan so i know this is tricky. Hes not a Tea Partier I know...but that doesnt mean he hasnt done good for us and wont do good for us in the future and that he isnt the best candidate.

Chess...not checkers.

Say what? Dewhurst has stabbed us in the back more times than I can bother to remember. See below for a couple of great examples:

I haven't forgotten his little shell game with the TSA Groping Bill. Letting Abortion Barbie do her thing did nothing but hurt the state of Texas by bringing it several steps closer to being a blue state. The guy is what is wrong with the Republican Party and I refuse to vote for him.

Top Bottom