• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I have a 6.5 Grendel AR barrel that has an un-even throat. I did a cerrosafe cast of the chamber, and 2 or 3 of the lands seem to stop about 1/8" in front of the chamber neck, and a couple of the lands come back almost to the end of the neck. I can chamber loads that have the bullets seated back into the case a little farther than "normal', and they cycle ok, but if I seat them just a touch further out, they chamber, but the bullet is engaging the rifling enough to make it impossible to pull the bolt back.... I have to tap it back with a plastic hammer to open the bolt.
    This cannot be conducive to accuracy, I would think...

My question is.... if I rent a finish reamer, or even a throating reamer, would I be able to even up the throat, perhaps even lengthen it a couple thousandths? Or, is this barrel more useful as a club?
    ARJ Defense ad

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I had a Bullbery barrel that came to me the same way. I sent it back and talked to Fred on the phone he said wholly shit I guess you're thinking we don't know what we're doing here. I laughed and said not at all cuz shit happens. Anyway he said he would bump it with the reamer and pre test fire it before returning. All was good!

DustyDuds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Fort Worth
    I would think u should take the barrel to a smith and let them do the work; unless you have a decent lathe and you have the experience to zero out the concentricity of the barrel bore and measure how much cutting you do with the reamer.

But, I’m not a gunsmith and I haven’t been in a Holiday Inn for many years

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    All was good!
    That's good to know that is, at least possibly fixable....
    I wasn't sure if it had been done non-concentric with the bore, could it be corrected...
    I would think u should take the barrel to a smith and let them do the work; unless you have a decent lathe and you have the experience to zero out the concentricity of the barrel bore and measure how much cutting you do with the reamer.

But, I’m not a gunsmith and I haven’t been in a Holiday Inn for many years
    You are probably right... and depending on what a 'smith would charge, I might be ahead to just buy a new, correct barrel.

Top Bottom