• ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I ran across this site the other day.
    They list various farms who grow natural, real food as God intended. Stuff like grass-fed beef that doesn’t come from a factory farm.

At any rate, thought some of y’all would be interested.

Anyone have any experience with any of these farms? I’m looking to get a 1/4 or 1/2 cow once I get the in-law’s crap out of my freezer LOL

Hurley's Gold

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    PD,

Cheap at twice the price...hhhmmmmm...

OK, I haven't actually looked at cost per pound, just the no artificial this feed or no soy feed that or no gmo stuff, but yes, if it cost a little over $20.00 a pound...ay yi yi!

I really hope that's not the case because if it is, who the hell is willing to pay that much for a pound of...?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Food claims are so very subjective.

In just recent times, when old dairy cows dried up, they were sent to slaughter and the meat was considered sub-par, meat for poor folks as it was affordable.

Now, celebrity chefs are touting it as fantastic!

Beef marbled in fat (my favorite) is currently considered unhealthy (BS) and grass fed, lean is heralded as healthy...except it's tough and dry...blech!

dgax65

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Harris County
    Thanks for the link. I've wanted to find local sources for lamb/mutton and goat. Almost everything at the big chain stores comes from Australia or New Zealand.

I think the importance of the 'organic' and 'healthy' labels is generally overplayed. I'm not going to buy meat or vegetables specifically for being 'organic'. That being said, those labels generally are associated with heritage breed livestock and plants. If you want Mangalitsa or Berkshire pork, it will probably come from an 'organic' supplier.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

In just recent times, when old dairy cows dried up, they were sent to slaughter and the meat was considered sub-par, meat for poor folks as it was affordable.

Beef marbled in fat (my favorite) is currently considered unhealthy (BS) and grass fed, lean is heralded as healthy...except it's tough and dry...blech!
    Follow the money. As my chef friend had told me a good chef can make something out of flour & water, a great chef can make something out of water & air.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I ran across this site the other day.
    They list various farms who grow natural, real food as God intended. Stuff like grass-fed beef that doesn’t come from a factory farm.

At any rate, thought some of y’all would be interested.

Anyone have any experience with any of these farms? I’m looking to get a 1/4 or 1/2 cow once I get the in-law’s crap out of my freezer LOL

Looks like a good resource to find local food producers. Might be a good idea to build some rapport with a few even if you don't buy into the health claims.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    It's hard to know what you are actually getting nowadays unless you personally know the rancher and/or butcher...

On a side note, we get most of our meats from Granzin's in New Braunfels and have had no complaints.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    >

I’d also caution that most producer’s claims of ”healthy’ are abject nonsense.

I don’t have any info on this specific outfit.

What ever happened to “finishing” beef cattle on a month of corn ?

leVieux

One of the primary reasons for grass fed beef with no "finishing" is that the meat has a different chemical consistency from store bought beef. Grass fed beef is actually high in Omega 3's, which is good for your health. Omega 6 beef (store bought beef) is bad for you and results in higher cholestorol, more fat, etc. Doc, I know you will appreciate the science on it. Its out there on the web, and its not non-sense.

Have a friend who changed his diet to grass fed beef. It was his only dietary change. In 6 months he dropped his bad cholesterol by 50 points.

It is different. For steaks I cook it with olive oil which is good for you if I am pan frying it. If cooking a steak I cook it rare to medium rare. Seasonings remain the same. If you over cook it, the meat will be tough and dry. It takes some learning in how to cook that meat due to there being less fat in it.

I've been getting a half side of grass fed beef for at least a decade now. It takes some getting used to, but its much healthier for you.

ETA - I think this has something to do with me being 30+ pounds lighter than I was 10 years ago.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One of the primary reasons for grass fed beef with no "finishing" is that the meat has a different chemical consistency from store bought beef. Grass fed beef is actually high in Omega 3's, which is good for your health. Omega 6 beef (store bought beef) is bad for you and results in higher cholestorol, more fat, etc. Doc, I know you will appreciate the science on it. Its out there on the web, and its not non-sense.

Have a friend who changed his diet to grass fed beef. It was his only dietary change. In 6 months he dropped his bad cholesterol by 50 points.

It is different. For steaks I cook it with olive oil which is good for you if I am pan frying it. If cooking a steak I cook it rare to medium rare. Seasonings remain the same. If you over cook it, the meat will be tough and dry. It takes some learning in how to cook that meat due to there being less fat in it.

I've been getting a half side of grass fed beef for at least a decade now. It takes some getting used to, but its much healthier for you.
    >
    Interesting, and Thanks.

I got our of the beef cattle bidness 50+ years ago. We do have some land, and I’ve been threatening to buy a weaned steer.

I do love cabrito, but my Wife won’t hear of “yard goats”.

Top Bottom