• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I noticed slowing down on the jobs. As my back got worse I noticed shuffling my feet instead of walking. Getting off work and having to pick my left leg up to get it in the truck.

Getting home and just aching to the point I wasn’t sleeping all night thru. The constant pain just wearing me down. Changes in weather making everything worse.

When you can’t stand, sit or lay down for more then a couple of hours at a time.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Glad you’re ok trey. When I was younger I almost witnessed a friend die on a 4wheeler. He jumped off right before it flipped over, got its throttle stuck, and drove its self off a mountain.

Moment I knew I was old is when I went from 220 lbs, full of muscle, doing well in boxing/kickboxing/jui jitsu to being skinny, having to watch what I eat now for health reasons.

I can still run and jog and if I have to use brains to take someone down but I’m not the guy I used to be. Those days are done.

VNK971

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Mico, TX
    At 55 I was working with the military in Hawaii. I was still running several times a week, started surfing, overall in good shape. I was temporarily moved to an office where I was the only "old" person, everyone else was years younger than my son. I couldn't participate in the office chatter, one kid told a story about coming back to his room drunk and pissing on the keyboard of his computer. I couldn't relate and was alone in a crowd. I couldn't wait to get back to my old office with all the old people.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    At 55 I was still in good shape; worked out with weights, jogged, and could still pretty much do what I always could. I didn’t shy away from anything, just took things a little slower and more careful.

The week before my 60th birthday I was in the shower after a workout and was hit with a massive heart attack. ER cardiologist told my family I should have died but I survived and came back months later in good condition, although I took things even more carefully from then on. I lost weight and walked 10-12 miles a week.

My reality struck home at 65 when I went fishing one day and fell face first down a rock embankment that sent me sprawling, bruised and bloody to the edge of the swollen river. Another 5 ft and there is no way I could have fought the current in my dazed and injured condition. I lay there for about 10 minutes carefully moving arms, legs and torso to make sure nothing was broken then started the mile walk to my truck. All the way home I kept telling myself that things were different know and I needed to change if I wanted to be around for my family.

After that, I fashioned a walking stick, filed a detailed plan with my wife showing her on Google Maps exactly where I would be and did 30 minute check ins by cell. I scratched off a number of hunting and fishing activities and changed the way I did the work around my acreage.

Each year since then, I have lost endurance, strength and coordination. I am pushing 73 and I try to work smarter, especially with the stuff like pruning trees, cutting wood, laying brick, etc. I have learned to ignore my wife’s nagging about how slow I am in order to ensure I can complete a task without calling 911, but I still do 90% of what needs to be done. I have decided I can do 1-2 years more before we need to sell the place and move somewhere with nothing more than turf to care for.

I have a neighbor down the road who is in his mid 80’s and he still does pretty good, but I won’t be able to match him. Life expectancy for the men in my family averages about 83-85 but my heart will knock a few years off that.

I am not the man physically that I used to be, but that’s okay. I just read Ecclesiastes 12 this morning and it pretty much sums things up. Enjoy life while you can and learn to recognize the day when the tide starts going out, because it certainly will.

Enigma57

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2020
    Dallas/ Fort Worth Area
    I have come to realize that the ground in really, really low and hard as a rock, regardless if there's carpet or nice thick grass. So when you trip or slip then fall the ground sticks you like metal to magnet. No more rolling or bouncing around then up. Takes a bit of time and strength to pull yourself back up if you're lucky.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom