• ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I realized I was old after a major medical problem caused emergency removal of a section of my colon. And lost a kidney too.

On the bright side, my cancerous kidney was found sooner instead of later. But the whole ordeal took a lot of life out of me.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I had to kick a guy off my job the other day because he refused to wear a fall harness and tie off to a safety line while climbing a 32' extension ladder.

Some people aren't afraid of ladders, bit it doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    We will probably never know, but you did the guy a favor. At least kept him from getting injured or killed while working for you. You did the right thing and I would have done exactly the same thing.

Most jobsites and companies I worked for in the past, anything 12 feet and over, you were required by safety policies to wear a fall arrest harness and safety line.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I had to kick a guy off my job the other day because he refused to wear a fall harness and tie off to a safety line while climbing a 32' extension ladder.

Some people aren't afraid of ladders, bit it doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.

I now realize I'm getting old since I remember wearing harnesses that could also kill you.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I don't care about that. He's up on a bunch of rape charges and I'm pretty sure he deserves about 5 times as many convictions as he currently has cases. He was fun to hang out with once, back before I understood who he was in private. Now I'm embarrassed that I ever bragged about the times we hung out.

Sooo, it wasn't enough that people had to get paid for him to get laid, but he felt the need to take.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Most jobsites and companies I worked for in the past, anything 12 feet and over, you were required by safety policies to wear a fall arrest harness and safety line.

I climbed towers w/o a harness/tie-in for many years, just a simple belt and rope. Also tall ladders never needed safety gear back in the day. In fact, in 1980 I was up at 120' having just set a new section of tower, when my then-bozz sent a fireman ladder truck ladder over to the tower and browbeat me into stepping off the tower and onto the ladder 3' away. Scared the phuck out of me.

Safety regs are prolly saving lots of lives. But my balance is gone, and I'm not getting up on the roof any more. I did manage a 12' extension ladder to clean out the gutters, but I took it slow and was careful.

Last edited:

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I now realize I'm getting old since I remember wearing harnesses that could also kill you.
    I think in some scenarios at work I'd prefer to wear the old waist belt harness (I've only heard about them from the old timers).

Not all fall protection is fall arrest. Sometimes we use it as fall restraint. A short lanyard to keep you from waking off the edge would work with a belt. No need for a full shoulder to crotch harness.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I think in some scenarios at work I'd prefer to wear the old waist belt harness (I've only heard about them from the old timers).

Not all fall protection is fall arrest. Sometimes we use it as fall restraint. A short lanyard to keep you from waking off the edge would work with a belt. No need for a full shoulder to crotch harness.

Those were what could kill you. If you fall using the belt harness, you may not be able to breath, as it slides up to your rib cage.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Ben's story about the young lady reminded me of another instance.

I wasn't really old when this happened but I definitely realized my age.

My best friend in High School had a baby sister. We used to watch her often because both mom and dad worked long hours ( LAPD AND LAPD dispatcher). I remember making that little girl bottles.

Fast forward a few years. Best Friend is getting married and I'm the best man in his wedding..... baby sister is there....now 20 and Hot AF...... You feel like a total creeper.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Try taking a crap with just socks on your feet. That will give you an ab workout. Feet sliding all over and cant grip on the floor to help you push.

Everything gets harder when you're older. Cant crap cant piss cant do somersault into pools.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Another time I realize I was getting old? When I bought one of those grabber things with a long handle and the pinchers on the end so I didn't have to bend over to pick things up!
    They do come in handy especially when the straightened out coat hanger doesn't work.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Not long ago (about 10 years) I used to wake up to the alarm at 4:30 am, S, S, and S and be at work by 6 am. Seemed like an early wake up at the time. Now I just wish I could sleep that late.
    I'm with you, retired and awake by 4am, sometimes sooner.

Top Bottom