• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I rode a Yamaha RD350 to work in 1976, it put me on the ground due to mechanical.

Rode this Honda Shadow 700 to work in 2009 or so. Same story. I gave up. I'm not the kind of guy that should have a cycle... to much bike maintenance required.

View attachment 292181
    Riding motorcycles had been part of my life going way back many years ago. I put part of the blame on my father for giving me a ride on his Harley when I about four or five years old!

I liked all types of motorcycles, but dirt bikes were my real passion. But the problem with dirt bikes and ATV's, is I have a stupid gene when I get on them! It's a small wonder or miracle I hadn't killed myself on one of them years ago.

Once it was diagnosed that another accident and neck fracture could possibly leave me paralyzed, I gave up the dirt bikes and went back to street bikes. Traded and sold off all my dirt bikes and ended up buying a very cosmetically challenged 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000. Dayem that thing was fast. Didn't keep it very long after fixing it up and selling it. Wanted to get another Harley for a street bike. So I worked, traded and sold some bikes and saved up a down payment to put down on really, really nice and low mileage 1998 Softail Custom. I really loved that bike and it suited my riding style at the time. I modified it into pretty much a bar-hopper type bike. Lots of custom work went into that one!
    Hurley's Gold

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I rode a Yamaha RD350 to work in 1976, it put me on the ground due to mechanical.

Rode this Honda Shadow 700 to work in 2009 or so. Same story. I gave up. I'm not the kind of guy that should have a cycle... to much bike maintenance required.

View attachment 292181
    I rode R5C's (had 3 of them) from '75 until '78 when I bought a Suzuki GS-750. I quit riding in '98, when I quit my job for country living (goodbye city life), and no longer had insurance... When you start thinking about consequences, you are probably already old (43 in '98).

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I rode R5C's (had 3 of them) from '75 until '78 when I bought a Suzuki GS-750. I quit riding in '98, when I quit my job for country living (goodbye city life), and no longer had insurance... When you start thinking about consequences, you are probably already old (43 in '98).

Well, lesseeeeee. I was 25 when I rode the RD350 from Pacifica to the USCG Air Station at the SF International Airport. Freeway driving such a light bike was freaky. Then I rode it on the back highways of North Carolina while going to A school... often with heavy lightning on both sides of the road.

Here is that bike on the front of the PU while we moved from the base in CA to the base in NC:

1638731963632.jpeg

When I rode the Shadow to work, I was in my late 50s. Was fortunate not to be seriously hurt on either cycle, but yes, the last ooops really took a long time to heal bruises and really made me think. I repaired the bike and then sold it to a client.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I'm sure my overweight old ass looks a sight going down the road on my TW200. I don't trust myself on anything faster - the reflexes aren't there anymore.

I really wanted on of those when we were snowbirding in AZ. Lots of places to go see/adventure out in the desert and preserves.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Didn't feel old but knew I was when getting the nookie was taking less and less and less time. Soon it gets to the point where minutes are now seconds. What's next is un imaginable. Yep it's happening.

I'm still trying to interpret the above ^^^.

Getting some nookie in less time (saving all the wining/dining/romance/foreplay) seems like a good thing. As a married guy, the wife was in peril in the kitchen from dropping a potato peeler!!!

Not to mention what happened at the Home Depot...

But when I was a young man, the actual act didn't last long... sigh. I was sometimes a "1 minute man". :machine:
    Then as I aged, things were so much less sensitive that it took longer and longer, not less and less. My wife was happy then!!! :banana:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Well, lesseeeeee. I was 25 when I rode the RD350 from Pacifica to the USCG Air Station at the SF International Airport. Freeway driving such a light bike was freaky. Then I rode it on the back highways of North Carolina while going to A school... often with heavy lightning on both sides of the road.

Here is that bike on the front of the PU while we moved from the base in CA to the base in NC:

View attachment 292183

When I rode the Shadow to work, I was in my late 50s. Was fortunate not to be seriously hurt on either cycle, but yes, the last ooops really took a long time to heal bruises and really made me think. I repaired the bike and then sold it to a client.

View attachment 292183

Great vintage photo. Here is one of the TW headed to Matagorda.

Attachments

• 20210302_130549.jpg
      20210302_130549.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 41

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Riding motorcycles had been part of my life going way back many years ago. I put part of the blame on my father for giving me a ride on his Harley when I about four or five years old!

I liked all types of motorcycles, but dirt bikes were my real passion. But the problem with dirt bikes and ATV's, is I have a stupid gene when I get on them! It's a small wonder or miracle I hadn't killed myself on one of them years ago.

Once it was diagnosed that another accident and neck fracture could possibly leave me paralyzed, I gave up the dirt bikes and went back to street bikes. Traded and sold off all my dirt bikes and ended up buying a very cosmetically challenged 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000. Dayem that thing was fast. Didn't keep it very long after fixing it up and selling it. Wanted to get another Harley for a street bike. So I worked, traded and sold some bikes and saved up a down payment to put down on really, really nice and low mileage 1998 Softail Custom. I really loved that bike and it suited my riding style at the time. I modified it into pretty much a bar-hopper type bike. Lots of custom work went into that one!
    Understand. Although I had been around motorcycles, pretty much all my life, I too started out on dirt bikes (motocross). After some time of always the brides maid, never the bride, I slowly moved towards street bikes to the point that I pretty much lost interest in dirt bikes. Fortunately, and probably my ability to observe what's going on around me and knowing how to take a fall, gleaned mainly from motocross, I have avoided any major damage to myself in accidents. I rue the day that I tell myself I can't ride anymore, for a part of me will die that day.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Getting about 5 mpg?
    Actually, I get about 8.5 mpg, but I usually keep it at 65 mph or slower. That's with the setup shown in the photo with the bike and a 29' trailer.

The 6.2 gasser in the 250 FX4 actually gets better mileage than my '07 F150 4x4 with the 4.6L!

The F250 has a lifetime mpg, at 50k miles, of right at 15 mpg!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My arms look a lot older since anything that touches me leaves a bruise.
    10 years ago, I used to check my blood glucose by using the needle to prick my left forearm. (The tips of fingers really gets old, fast.) I stopped doing the forearm at least 3+ years ago. Now, when I look at my left forearm, I can still see the wounds, still there from years ago.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    10 years ago, I used to check my blood glucose by using the needle to prick my left forearm. (The tips of fingers really gets old, fast.) I stopped doing the forearm at least 3+ years ago. Now, when I look at my left forearm, I can still see the wounds, still there from years ago.
    I have scars from I don't know what, must be from bruises, plus where some skin cancers were taken off.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun

As an electronics tech, I made my living with my hands. Finger testing sucked big time for a guy that did microminiature repair. So I'm still doing the inside of the forearm, and have a nickel sized purple area there.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX

Reality sets in. I'm not young anymore.​

I noticed that too but was polite and didn't comment. :what:

Starting a thread about the moment you realized your youth is behind you. Could be an injury or just the reality that you no longer have anything in common with the younger generations etc...
    I've loooooong known I have nothing, or at least little, in common with the twerps.
    Nothing sudden, just watching the brown hair grey, less agile etc. I hardly take good care of myself so I'm fortunate no major problems and no perscriptions, yet! Living alone and not particularly close (relationship wise) to neighbors and being 30 miles from even a crappy hospital, I'm more careful and deliberate in my physical activity.

Now to read the rest of you old fogies crap. :p

Reactions: gll

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Another sign. I seem to get these a lot. Usually when I'm working on something with my hands. Like today when I was attempting to change the oil in my truck. Had latex gloves on, but any slight pressure and whoop there it is. Started 5 or 6 years ago.
    20211209_205515.jpg
    Doesn't hurt now or when it happens, just looks ugly for about 10 days as it slowly fades away.

Top Bottom