• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If you would like to have a CHL, but haven't applied, why not?

• I have my CHL

Votes: 34 54.8%
    • Cost ($140 initial; $70 renewal)

Votes: 9 14.5%
    • Required class time (10hr. initial; 4 hr. renewal)

Votes: 6 9.7%
    • Too many areas where CHL's can't carry their guns

Votes: 2 3.2%
    • Don't know how to go about getting one

Votes: 1 1.6%
    • Other (explain)

Votes: 10 16.1%

• Total voters

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    HR 218 Passed...

Sorry for the delayed resposnse. HR 218 gives all full time active police officers in the United States the ability to carry concealed nationwide. In addition, this also covers honorably retired officers. It makes alll the sense in the world. While I don't have a problem with CHL holders carrying their weapons, you should also understand there are additional reasons for officers to carry nationwide. I have made numerous felony arrests in my career. There have been many times when off duty and even in other states I have run into people that I have arrested or otherwise had professional dealings with. Most individuals are not happy with any officer that has taken away their liberty and caused them to go to prison.

Simply put there have been several instances over the years in which I was extremely happy that I almost always carry a weapon, whether on or off duty. By the Grace of God, I have been lucky enough I have never been involved in a shooting and hope to remain that way.

There is a huge difference between the responsibilities of a police officer and of a CHL holder. The CHL holder should be most concerned with the protection of themselves, their family and their property. While police officers have to be concerned about a much wider range of topics. We are obligated to take action in many situations On Duty or Off Duty. But even Off Duty, my first responsibility is to my family and to myself.

Be glad that this law has past allowing Police Officers Nationwide carry, it is a step in the right direction for other law abiding gun owners to be able to do the same.

H.R.218: The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004
    (Enrolled as Agreed to or Passed by Both House and Senate)
    One Hundred Eighth Congress of the United States of America
    AT THE SECOND SESSION
    Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday, the twentieth day of January, two thousand and four
    An Act
    To amend title 18, United States Code, to exempt qualified current and former law enforcement officers from State laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed handguns.
    Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
    SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
    This Act may be cited as the `Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004'.

SEC. 2. EXEMPTION OF QUALIFIED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS FROM STATE LAWS PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF CONCEALED FIREARMS.
    (a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926A the following:
    `Sec. 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers
    `(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).
    `(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--
    `(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
    `(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.
    `(c) As used in this section, the term `qualified law enforcement officer' means an employee of a governmental agency who--
    `(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;
    `(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
    `(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency;
    `(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
    `(5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
    `(6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
    `(d) The identification required by this subsection is the photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed as a law enforcement officer.
    `(e) As used in this section, the term `firearm' does not include--
    `(1) any machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the National Firearms Act);
    `(2) any firearm silencer (as defined in section 921 of this title); and
    `(3) any destructive device (as defined in section 921 of this title).'.
    (b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926A the following:
    `926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers.'.

SEC. 3. EXEMPTION OF QUALIFIED RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS FROM STATE LAWS PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF CONCEALED FIREARMS.
    (a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is further amended by inserting after section 926B the following:
    `Sec. 926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers
    `(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified retired law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).
    `(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of any State that--
    `(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
    `(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park.
    `(c) As used in this section, the term `qualified retired law enforcement officer' means an individual who--
    `(1) retired in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer, other than for reasons of mental instability;
    `(2) before such retirement, was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest;
    `(3)(A) before such retirement, was regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more; or
    `(B) retired from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency;
    `(4) has a nonforfeitable right to benefits under the retirement plan of the agency;
    `(5) during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of the individual, the State's standards for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry firearms;
    `(6) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
    `(7) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
    `(d) The identification required by this subsection is--
    `(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the standards established by the agency for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or
    `(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer; and
    `(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State to meet the standards established by the State for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.
    `(e) As used in this section, the term `firearm' does not include--
    `(1) any machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the National Firearms Act);
    `(2) any firearm silencer (as defined in section 921 of this title); and
    `(3) a destructive device (as defined in section 921 of this title).'.
    (b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is further amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926B the following:
    `926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers.'.
    Lynx Defense

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Well, guess that answers that. :D

Thanks for the education TX. I had no idea about HR218.

I also agree and understand fully when you talk about LEO's and CHL's. Hopefully CHL's understand the difference, although I think some don't, or rather lose sight of it's intension, and the 2nd Amendment for that matter.

txpete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    ft hood
    well mine is along story....
    I had a guy that would give me my class for free and got everything together to take the class.he called austin and told them since I am a naturlized citizen(canada) I would have to mail my orginal paper work to austin with the chl paper work.NO way would I even think about doing that.
    as a disabled vet my license I was told is free as the state waves my fee's.
    pete

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    A family member is a naturalized citizen originally from what today is Croatia.

He had no problem getting his CHL, although they did contact him about resubmitting a document. I don't think many CHL instructors are well versed on what needs to be submitted or how, but it works out in the end.

If they did require the original, no copies, did they say they return them with the license?

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    Because I refuse to ask permission for my rights. That being said, I just will not carry a firearm outside of my vehicle. I know that makes me sound like a kook, but if it's a right, why should I ask permission? Why should I act like it's ok for the state to grant me permission considering it is not theirs to do so?

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Because I refuse to ask permission for my rights. That being said, I just will not carry a firearm outside of my vehicle. I know that makes me sound like a kook, but if it's a right, why should I ask permission? Why should I act like it's ok for the state to grant me permission considering it is not theirs to do so?

But isn't that doing the same thing, complying with the regulation of rights that you feel aren't something for the state to regulate? :D

But then again, using that line of thinking, not carrying in certain places is also the same regulation of rights.

The devil's gotta have an advocate.

Of course you could always carry a shotgun around.

Bob Loblaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Buda, Tx
    But isn't that doing the same thing, complying with the regulation of rights that you feel aren't something for the state to regulate? :D

But then again, using that line of thinking, not carrying in certain places is also the same regulation of rights.

The devil's gotta have an advocate.

Of course you could always carry a shotgun around.

I didn't say I wouldn't comply, I just don't want to promote the restriction of my right to bear arms. If you ask permission you've conceded. Maybe this outlook could be chalked up to youth, but that doesn't piss anybody else off?

Not carrying in privately owned places is not a regulation of rights since the rights would belong to the property owner.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Alrighty, I don't currently have my TX CHL, rather a WA license from our prior Conus station. However, CHL will be had asap upon next Conus PCS. Seems TX don't like WA riff-raff just walking in hot (no WA reciprocity in TX) :D

ctxpta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Lockhart, Texas
    Sounds like a plan.

You need to verify with DPS that you indeed qualify for the training exemption (every 10 years) under the new law. I am assuming the local range is doing your fingerprints, photograph, notary etc. If they are then that isn't a bad deal. Cost to get each done somewhere else not to mention the headache of going all over town would be about $30. I guess I may need to think about offering that to 3rd time renewals!

I have mine.

One of the first in the state to do so.

And so, now will be my 3rd renewal.

It seems all I need to do is have the finger prints, photo.

The local range/CHL place says $50 for processing the paper work.

No class and no proficiency test. :cool:

justin81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    DFW, Texas
    I'm a "other" for 2 reasons.

1.) I can't carry on my works property. I'm at work 5 days out of the week, and on call all of those days after 5pm, so conceal carry even after work would be difficult sine I get called back all the time. That really only leaves 2 days out of the week that I can carry.

2.) Since September I just carry in my car on the 2 days I have off.

I will probably end up getting mine soon. The wife really wants hers, and I see no reason not to get mine with her. At least it will make LEO situations easier having my CHL if I'm ever driving a little fast.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    You need to verify with DPS that you indeed qualify for the training exemption (every 10 years) under the new law. I am assuming the local range is doing your fingerprints, photograph, notary etc. If they are then that isn't a bad deal. Cost to get each done somewhere else not to mention the headache of going all over town would be about $30. I guess I may need to think about offering that to 3rd time renewals!

Yes, my local range/CHL place said they would charge $50 for everything. All I need do is show up when they have a regular class and the LEO is there. Snap, click, inky fingers and sign. And then walk away.
    That said, it might be a good idea to take the full course, just to keep up to date.

JDKRIEK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    WYLIE
    I'm waiting to see if I get in to the police academy. If I get through that, then I won't need a CHL.

With a Texas CHL you are exempted from the NICS check when purchasing a firearm and only fill out one (1) form =)

Many Police officers get CHLs so they don't have to fill out 3-4 forms and NICS check.

stockFD3S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    I don't have mine yet due to the fact that I will be at school at least once a day after heading out in the morning.

Also I only recently picked up a handgun that I would consider carrying. CZ-52 prints way too much. :(

plexreticle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008

I had a CHL I let it expire. I pretty much agree with Mr. Loblaw

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    With a Texas CHL you are exempted from the NICS check when purchasing a firearm and only fill out one (1) form =)

Many Police officers get CHLs so they don't have to fill out 3-4 forms and NICS check.

Although technically, by law, having a CHL exempts you from the NICS check, apparently there are still some gun stores around that might do the NICS check regardless, likely as more of a cover their @ss measure. I don't know of any stores in particular, just that I occasionally will see someone posting on various other forums about having this problem.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Although technically, by law, having a CHL exempts you from the NICS check, apparently there are still some gun stores around that might do the NICS check regardless, likely as more of a cover their @ss measure. I don't know of any stores in particular, just that I occasionally will see someone posting on various other forums about having this problem.

If they are, I'm sure it's what you said, a CYA for them. It goes in their file and never leaves and some may just want to make sure they have as much, or more, than they need. Better safe than sorry.

FYI, my dealer, Sporting Arms, got my info. and as we sat chatting, he called, cleared, I signed and had my Kimber ready to leave. Easy as pie.

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    I took the chl class six months ago and I just got around to getting my photos
    taken,next up fingerprints then mail it in .

Top Bottom