Join TexasGunTalk

Reasonable price for a gun smith to change out an AR handguard?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by rushthezeppelin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. rushthezeppelin

rushthezeppelin TGT Addict

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    What is the generally excepted price on this? I've only talked to one smith so far and he quoted me 85 bucks to put on a 70 dollar free float. Seemed a bit excessive to me, especially considering I've done alot of the other work like taking the old gas block and handguard cap off and putting my gas tube on my new gas block. Literally all that needs to be done is taking the old barrel nut off and properly torqueing/alinging the new barrel nut. Am I asking too cheap of a gunsmith or are there others around who can perform this work for a much more reasonable cost (or perhaps let me work on their equipment for a small fee)?

2. TxBigfoot

TxBigfoot Active Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I have no idea about the gunsmith cost, but have you considered doing it yourself? It's really easy, and the tools to do it are cheap. If you lived closer, I'd say swing by my casa, it wouldn't take long.

3. rushthezeppelin

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Well the cheapest I've found for all the tools (I don't even have a vise yet) is about 120-130 : / And another forum member offered for me to use his setup but unfortunately he didn't have a sturdy bench nor a big enough vise to properly fit the upper vise block. Add on top of that my barrel seems to be sitting closer to the 80lbs of torque max for AR barrels.

4. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    nobody helps do anything

5. AaronP220

AaronP220 Mr. Sarcasm TGT Supporter

May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Well, if you were willing to drive to Houston I would do it for you for free. I don't know anyone in your area, unfortunately. It would be a 20 minute job for any gunsmith that's some what confident in what they're doing. As far as the cost, I would assume $40 or so would be reasonable. Even more so since you've already removed the old gas block. You'll have to pull the new one off to get the current barrel nut off and the new one on though.

6. kusai

kusai Well-Known

Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Might look hard, but just get the tools and do it yourself.

7. Green-Harley

Green-Harley New Member

Aug 4, 2013
    If you want to swing down to San Antonio I have the tools. The price is high for what he's doing, but smith has to make a buck and most will probably have an hour minimum, plus he has the liability if he tears up something getting the nut off.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

8. rsayloriii

rsayloriii TGT Addict

May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I bought the whole AR kit at Cabelas for around $100 when I switched from an A2 upper to an A3. Easy job and all tools were there including the torque wrench.

sent from deep space

9. hellishhorses

hellishhorses Well-Known

Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    In Temple, I'd do it for a Guinness!

10. rushthezeppelin

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I think I can manage a Guinness (and join you for it, my favorite :D) and a ride to temple here in the near future. You've got a solid bench for your vise?