ARJ Defense ad

Reasonable price for a gun smith to change out an AR handguard?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    What is the generally excepted price on this? I've only talked to one smith so far and he quoted me 85 bucks to put on a 70 dollar free float. Seemed a bit excessive to me, especially considering I've done alot of the other work like taking the old gas block and handguard cap off and putting my gas tube on my new gas block. Literally all that needs to be done is taking the old barrel nut off and properly torqueing/alinging the new barrel nut. Am I asking too cheap of a gunsmith or are there others around who can perform this work for a much more reasonable cost (or perhaps let me work on their equipment for a small fee)?
    Target Sports

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I have no idea about the gunsmith cost, but have you considered doing it yourself? It's really easy, and the tools to do it are cheap. If you lived closer, I'd say swing by my casa, it wouldn't take long.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Well the cheapest I've found for all the tools (I don't even have a vise yet) is about 120-130 : / And another forum member offered for me to use his setup but unfortunately he didn't have a sturdy bench nor a big enough vise to properly fit the upper vise block. Add on top of that my barrel seems to be sitting closer to the 80lbs of torque max for AR barrels.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Well, if you were willing to drive to Houston I would do it for you for free. I don't know anyone in your area, unfortunately. It would be a 20 minute job for any gunsmith that's some what confident in what they're doing. As far as the cost, I would assume $40 or so would be reasonable. Even more so since you've already removed the old gas block. You'll have to pull the new one off to get the current barrel nut off and the new one on though.

Green-Harley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    If you want to swing down to San Antonio I have the tools. The price is high for what he's doing, but smith has to make a buck and most will probably have an hour minimum, plus he has the liability if he tears up something getting the nut off.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I bought the whole AR kit at Cabelas for around $100 when I switched from an A2 upper to an A3. Easy job and all tools were there including the torque wrench.

sent from deep space

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I didn't have one but I guess I can grab that, they aren't that much. You got barrel wrench and torque wrench? It might not be till next weekend that I can make it out there iuno.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    prices are all over here in SA too. I have been quoted $60-$100 to do it. I need to get my damn Troy Alpha barrel nut aligned. Back in AZ I could have had it done in a snap. Sometimes moving sucks. It seems in general Smiths charge a lot more out here for things then what I was paying in AZ. Ohwell.

Green-Harley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    Watchdog, do you need to align the gas tube hole? I have the tool if you want to come to the forum area.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I have a floating price schedule depending on what time of day it is...either beer or lunch...

Alex

350xfire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    What is this "gas tube aligning tool" you speak of? I usually stick a drill bit of the right size in the BCG where the tube goes in and align the barrel nut hole with it. Then the tube goes right in.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Heres an example...

210021.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support