• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootmre steel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    East Texas
    Hi all,

I thought this would be the proper group for this question.

I swear I am a sucker for a cheap gun. Purchased a sporter mauser for a little money chambered in 8mm Gibbs. Beautiful old piece. Clean, Strong, Good function. I knew it was an old wildcat when I bought it and I knew the process for producing brass. No problem. I have since decided however, that I don't want to go to the trouble. I also realized that this might finally be my chance to build the 35 Whelen that I have always wanted.

That said, I know all (or most) of the pits to fall in. The money pit is first. I don't mind spending some money on the project, and I am not generally satisfied with "acceptable hunting" accuracy in a firearm as defined in most circles. If I am going to burn powder I want the best results I can afford and that the round can deliver. Hence I roll my own. I plan to load for this beast just like the others in the case. At the same time there is some budget and the barrel is only a part of the total cost to come. Well once you commit you can't turn back so here goes.

My questions: 1) I need some honest, supported opinions about Adams & Bennet barrrels from Midway. 1-14 twist ( low price generally means low quality). I have read a lot of threads on several other boards. There are mixed reviews. 2) Numrich offers a barrel with a higher twist 1-12, for a little more money. I want to know who makes the barrel & how it or other Numrich barrels compare in quality overall versus A&B and others.

I have pricing from Brownells for a Shilen 1-14. This is about the max on the budget, and my ultimate fallback if I can't satisfy my quest on the other barrels. Shilen is a general known and acceptable at the price if all else fails.

I have looked at Hart, Kreiger, Douglas, ER Shaw, and Wilson. These are outside the budget and in several cases my technical ability. I know and use a very good gunsmith. I would rather not involve him unless I really need to. More of a time issue than cost.

NOTE 1: Twist rate is not an issue. Either will do just fine. I am not going to load 300+ gr stumps in this tube just to punch paper or pound whitetails and my shoulder.
    NOTE 2: I know I could just go out and buy an off the shelf for less than the cost of this project, but WTH, why should sanity and economics enter into it. This is what we do.

Yes. I write like this all the time.

Any help
    Hurley's Gold

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    If it were my rifle, I'd still look at CH4D for dies at a decent prioce, and keep that old girl as is. [URL="http://www.ch4d.com/"][URL]http://www.ch4d.com/[/URL][/URL]
    If you must change it, A&B barrels are decent quality. I've used them on 5 rifles, and been happy with the results. 2 .257 Roberts, a .22/250, a .338/06, and a .35 Whelen. I haven't had a chance to work the .35 yet, but the .22/250 and .338 will do better than MOA all day long. The .257s will average just above MOA, but plenty good enough for whitetails.
    The picture is of a three shoot group, but five will do about as well.

CH4D's website is up now, and they do NOT have the 8mm GIbbs listed, although they seem to have every other Gibbs cartridge ever developed. GUess you will need an alternative after all.

Attachments

• DSCF0020.JPG
      DSCF0020.JPG
      30.5 KB · Views: 218

shootmre steel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    East Texas
    Thanks for the review. I have found all kinds of opinions about the A&B barrels. The last opinion I got was from my Gunsmith. Although he did not say anything specifically about the A&B, good or bad, he did tell me to go with the Shilen. I think I probably will. All of the defenders of the A&B barrels have appealed to me to go with what is reported as a quality barrel at about 50% of the price. However, my plans for this barrel include several hundred in barrel add ons. I just can't take a chance. In the end we all pay for peace of mind. The Numrich barrel is still an unknown. As soon as they open on Monday I am going to call and ask. That will settle that question. I'll post the answer.

In case I didn't explain before. I plan to replace almost everything. New dove tail three leaf sight. Barrel band front sight with adjustable bead and hood. 24" to 26" medium weight barrel and a separate barrel ring for the strap. Heavy magnum safari style stock.

Thats the plan anyway.

shootmre steel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    East Texas
    A&B Barrels ie RE SHAW

I told this same thing. Makes me waonder if ER Shaw is placing their off stock with Midway under another name. Well. We should not spread rumors. If I get a chance and since I opened this can, I'll call A&B if I can find a number and ask them. I'll post if I find out.

I was also reminded that I purchased a DPMS barrel from Midway. However I already knew (or think I know) that these are made by Wilson. That barrel shot in very well. I haven't started load work on it yet. I won't know how it actually acts untill another 100 or so rounds or conditioning.

Back on point: ER Shaw is a very good maker. That does boad well for the A&B brand name.

shootmre steel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    East Texas
    Inpatient little pig.

For those not in the loop. The last post came from an individual who unfortunately had listened to me waffle around on this for several weeks and has become irritated with the litany of options and alternatives I have come up with on this project.

I remind him that I purchased this project at HIS insistence.

Should I call the case closed and go ahead, or wait a little longer to see if there is any other genuine opinion out there that may lend to the support one way or the other?

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    If you're going to have something built, I'd wait and be sure of what you want. Shilen barrels are tough to beat, if you want to spend the money needed, get what you want.

On the subject of Shaw, I suspect Brownell's budget Mauser barrels are Shaw as well. Seems to be a trend...

I'm no real gunsmith, just some guy who works on my guns, so I've done all my barrel installations myself. From every bit of research I've done, installation and prep are the most important part of the game.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have a question for you Mauser guys do ya'll know where I could get a bolt for a large ring. I have an old barreled reciever but the bolt has somehow been misplaced I know some models the bolts interchanged but not sure where to find a reliable source to get one.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have a question for you Mauser guys do ya'll know where I could get a bolt for a large ring. I have an old barreled reciever but the bolt has somehow been misplaced I know some models the bolts interchanged but not sure where to find a reliable source to get one.
    Try Gun Parts Corp, AKA Numrich Arms. Remember, your new bolt isn't likely to headspace properly, unless you get lucky.

shootmre steel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    East Texas
    Mauser Bolt

Haunt the military parts tables at the gun shows. I agree. If you find one, have it head spaced. Also!. Is your barreled receiver still compatable with standard bolt face? ie.. 8x57 mauser or the equivalent. If the barrel has been changed to something strange, (lots of wildcats) then a standard bolt won't do you any good. Check that out.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Yea its still similar was originally gonna be a .30-06 but I'm thinking more along the lines of a .458 win mag. Headspace is fine cause gonna have the reciaver trued and a few other things done as well when I put the new barrel on. I've looked at the gun parts corp just didn't know if they were a reliable source to buy parts from.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Update the rifle I thought was a mauser is not its a 1903a3. Reciever seems to have some surface rust but will clean up in a few days. On the plus side I've been able to find several listings for bolts.

shootmre steel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    East Texas
    WOW, we went to the Pasadena gun show (Houston that is ) this weekend. I found one mauser bolt. One mauser receiver stripped and one complete 1902A3 receiver. Price ranges from $175 to about $200.00 cash off the table. fyi

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    WOW, we went to the Pasadena gun show (Houston that is ) this weekend. I found one mauser bolt. One mauser receiver stripped and one complete 1902A3 receiver. Price ranges from $175 to about $200.00 cash off the table. fyi

Sound like the were some decent deals there. I just left the gun shop and he told me I can put about $100 into my 1903a3 and have a nice shooter.

T3hk1w1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    I've been idly thinking about a mauser-based 35 Whelen as well, probably using a VZ24 action. I haven't seen any locally, though.
    Tried out the 35 whelen with an A&B barrel for one of my savage 110s, and decided that I would like a CRF rifle in the caliber.

Top Bottom