• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I realize this is a two year old post, but I figured I would use this rather than start a new thread.

I have been using the Walker's Silencer Electronic Ear Plugs for some time now, and although I have like them for what they are, they never seemed quite right as far as comfort and use. They work great while shooting, but at times they seem to be in and out as far as hearing those around me goes. So often I would take them out when not shooting, which can be a problem if sudden loud noises happen.

I just ordered a set of Etymotic GunsportPRO's after reading up about them. They are rather expensive, around $250, but I would like to find something more comfortable and easier to use. I will post reviews here, after they arrive, for those interested.
    Lynx Defense

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Use Peltors for ear protection in the wood shop and at the range.
    You can get them for as little as $20, and up to $400+.

The mid range +/-$125 Peltors work very well, with auto shutoff, and you can plug in a phone/device.

The auto shutoff is nice in the shop because no one can sneak up and startle me when I'm using a hand tool, and when a router or saw turns on they attenuate immediately.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    How does the auto shutoff prevent you from being startled?

Common practice in a shop is to announce yourself before walking up behind someone with a sharp tool in hand.

With the Peltors you can hear normally while wearing them if there are no noises above a certain decibel, until a loud noise triggers the headphones, immediately and automatically shutting out the noise.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Common practice in a shop is to announce yourself before walking up behind someone with a sharp tool in hand.

With the Peltors you can hear normally while wearing them if there are no noises above a certain decibel, until a loud noise triggers the headphones, immediately and automatically shutting out the noise.

Ah, I thought it was something unique.
    That's how all electronic muffs work.

ETA:
    Wait.
    The muffs themselves don't reduce sound at all until it reaches a certain decibel?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Use Peltors for ear protection in the wood shop and at the range.
    You can get them for as little as $20, and up to $400+.

The mid range +/-$125 Peltors work very well, with auto shutoff, and you can plug in a phone/device.

The auto shutoff is nice in the shop because no one can sneak up and startle me when I'm using a hand tool, and when a router or saw turns on they attenuate immediately.
    Yeah, I was going between the Peltor and Etymotic, they're a lot alike in their design. I got a better deal on the Etymotics.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    ETA:
    Wait.
    The muffs themselves don't reduce sound at all until it reaches a certain decibel?

Yes. They have the ability to amplify weak sounds so you can hear normal conversation while wearing them.

I'm not sure if all electronic ear protection have that ability, but my Peltors do ... and that's why I bought them.

I'm not one of those who take being startled gracefully.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yes. They have the ability to amplify weak sounds so you can hear normal conversation while wearing them.

I'm not sure if all electronic ear protection have that ability, but my Peltors do ... and that's why I bought them.

I'm not one of those who take being startled gracefully.

Yeah, that's typical of all electronic muffs.
    I was confused for a second.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Just a follow up review on the Etymotic GunsportPRO's. Went to the range today and tried them out. They were great! They feel like they weigh about half the weight as the Walkers and they felt much better in my ears, also I think they are easier to turn on. The batteries (same type as the Walkers) were much easier to load. As I said, they are about twice the cost, but the comfort to me was worth it.

TKS597

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2019
    Houston
    Realistically, you want something that meets 3M specifics for eye pro like the ESS Crossbow, as far as ear pro, almost anything Peltor works great. Even their push in ear pro.

GMK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    Corpus Christi
    I need a new set of ear protection, not plugs. Is there a site that shows the different levels of protection offered? There are so many headsets out there.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I need a new set of ear protection, not plugs. Is there a site that shows the different levels of protection offered? There are so many headsets out there.
    I can recommend Howard Leights, but I researched through the internet by typing in things like, 'best shooting ear muffs'. I also looked at reviews on various sites and youtube. I don't take just one site's opinion.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Here is an update for this topic with a review from US Concealed Carry Association on different types of hearing protection.

I have used at one time or another each type of hearing protection in this review. My current type is

Walker's Silencer Bluetooth Digital Earbuds, Rechargeable, NRR23dB, Voice Prompts, Sound Activated Compression.

I tried the electronic ear muffs with foam ear plugs and that was a super combo. Except during Texas summers. Just too hot and one sweats a lot. And you can't wear a stiff wide brim hat for sun protection. The earbuds solve the problem. I didn't want the wire between the buds as mentioned in above video. If you get that model they are cheaper.

Attachments

• hearing new.jpg
      hearing new.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 52
    Top Bottom