ARJ Defense ad

Recent new FN FNX purchase - did I actually buy used?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iwilson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2019
    Plano TX
    image1.jpeg View attachment 177053
    Hello all,
    I am not new to pistols, however I do need an expert opinion on this matter -
    So.. I bought a new FN FNX 45 just 2 days ago at a major retailer. MSRP was $1,299. Got it home and, of course, took it apart only to see gun powder residue and very deep markings on the inside of the slide (pic attached). This is my 3rd handgun and I bought all of them new, never seen anything like this before.

Did they sell me a used gun? View attachment 177053
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
      image1.jpeg
      483.3 KB · Views: 260
    Last edited:

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    That looks like more than test firing wear to me. I think they usually put about 50 rounds down range before they ship. Could be the color making it look worse than it really is. Did you wipe it down with anything after you took the pic?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I bought my H&K 51 I think they took the gun out & dogged it. The front forearm was melted! H&K's are a dirty design, but this looked like 1000's of rounds of abuse. And the punk that sold it to me said they cleaned it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Pfft. If it runs, who cares.
    This.

You are going to use it I am assuming. That firearm is good for many thousands of rounds. It's not like it's almost wore out.

It's not like you were going for a NIB collectable to never be shot.

PS this is why I like the used market so much. I see those used in the $1000 range all the time. Most people don't shoot much so they are in pretty new condition but 25% cheaper.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    When I bought my H&K 51 I think they took the gun out & dogged it. The front forearm was melted! H&K's are a dirty design, but this looked like 1000's of rounds of abuse. And the punk that sold it to me said they cleaned it.

HK never made a 51. Lots of builders have made them.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Pfft. If it runs, who cares.

I’d care!!

If it was used, it tells volumes about the integrity of the dealer. If he’s willing to pull these shenanigans for a few extra bucks, there could be even more worse things down the road.

If I came to the conclusion that it was used, I’d give him once chance to make it right. If not, I’d never darken his door again and be sure to persuade others to do the same.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    All of y’all do realize that every new gun you buy has been shot a few times, right?

The spent casings in the box? Where do you think they came from?

Looking at those pictures it's either a bad ceracote job or it's used. There shouldn't be that much wear under the slide from test firing.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    All of y’all do realize that every new gun you buy has been shot a few times, right?

The spent casings in the box? Where do you think they came from?

For sure, and most guys know that except for possibly a few newbies.

New cars have a few miles on them as well, but I want to be the guy that breaks MY new car in.

If that gun was returned the dealer, it could have have been for a number of reasons.

What if the guy shot machine gun Ammo in it, putting extra stress on parts. Or shot hot reloads, or a Squibb reload and put a minor ring in the barrel that is almost undetectable unless you are looking for it.

And of course the guy will swear that he only put 2 mags through it when in fact he put 4-5 50 round boxes through it.

If I pay for a new gun, it should be new. That way I know it’s history. But more importantly I PAID for a new gun (being test fired a given).

A used gun is discounted and buyer beware comes along with that, that’s part of the gamble for the cheaper price paid.

Top Bottom