• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • evillgenius75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2018
    Buda, TX
    I have been searching all over and the requisite laws a really foggy in their description. Here is my scenario:

I recently moved from Florida to Texas. I now own a house, have my Texas DL (So I had to surrender my FL DL), my cars are tagged in Texas, so by all accounts I am a Texan (I know, not born here)

My question is, because of the reciprocity laws we have with Florida, does my FL Concealed Weapons Permit give me the right to still carry in Texas concealed? I plan on getting my Texas LTC, but I literally just renewed my Florida one right before I moved.

Any guidance and perhaps specific links of where I can find my answer?
    Capitol Armory ad

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Wow, that’s a good one...curious to see the official answer. Some might would say your FL Handgun License is still a legal and valid document in and of itself. However, if FL is like Texas then you are required to update your home address on your handgun license when you move. Would they still re-issue you a FL License with a home address in Texas? Also TX puts our drivers license number on our handgun license. If FL also does that and you are required to update that on your handgun license also, would they issue one using a TX DL number?
    If you just don’t update all your info on your FL CHL, is it even still a legal document with all incorrect info on it?
    Things that make you go hmmm...and makes lawyers rich :)
    Yeah I think if it was me I’d just get my Texas LTC asap and call it a day...all that thinking gives ya headaches LOL

Oh, and welcome to Texas! :)

evillgenius75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2018
    Buda, TX
    I'm sure he already updated his FL CWP to his TX address. FL issues out of state licenses, and Texas recognizes them.

He is right I did, and actually Florida changed their CWP back in 2010 and our address or DL number does not show on the CWP at all.

"Effective February 12, 2010, the Division of Licensing no longer prints the licensee's residence address on the Florida concealed weapon license. The law does not require you to obtain a revised license after a change of address so you may continue to carry your current license until it expires."

SO I am guessing as long as Florida knows I live in TX, honors my out of state residence since Texas and Florida have Reciprocity, then I should be OK until my CWP expires.

I am going to get my LTC, but until I take the course and submit everything, I just want to make sure I am good to go, in case I get pulled-over or whatever.

Just in case do you guys recommenced Texas Gun Shield?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Section 790.06(8) requires you to notify the State of Florida Division of Licensing in writing within 30 days after a change of address.

You may change your address online below or submit your notification to us in writing at the following address:

Division of Licensing
    P.O.Box 6387
    Tallahassee, FL 32314-6387

Effective February 12, 2010, the Division of Licensing no longer prints the licensee's residence address on the Florida concealed weapon license. The law does not require you to obtain a revised license after a change of address so you may continue to carry your current license until it expires. If, however, you would like a revised license, please send a written request with a check or money order in the amount of $15 made payable to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. You do not need to send a passport-type color photograph until it is time to renew your license.

https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/license/ChangeAddress.aspx?TYPE=790

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Looks like we posted at the same time.

To answer your question, as long as you still have a valid FL license, you are good to go.

As for Texas Law Shield, there have been numerous discussions about their services. Some believe it to be cheap insurance, others a waste of money. You'll have to decide on your own once you research what they do (and do not) provide...

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    You're covered- TX does recognize non-resident permits... I moved from CO, and they do NOT... so I applied for TX non-resident permit while I still was in the process of moving- handing a CO officer a CO DL and a TX LTC is a no-go. I still have my CO CWP, but once I got a TX DL, that was invalid in CO...but I had my TX LTC by then- I then updated my TX LTC to my residence in TX.

Top Bottom