• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Man_from_Michigan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Texas Hill Country
    I am moving to Texas within a month or so. I am from Michigan, where I have a concealed carry license. I know Tx. and Mi. recognize each other, I just don't know how long I have to be able to use the reciprocity law. I surely plan to get my Tx. concealed carry license as soon as I can. Which makes me think of another question. Is there a length of time I need to live in Texas (gain Tx. citizenship?) before I can apply for a carry license? Thanks.....pf
    ARJ Defense ad

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If it is a Michigan State Resident license, I would think as soon as you change your address to one in Texas it would no longer be valid. There are some states that issue Non-Resident licenses which can obviously have any state address on them and still be valid for carry as a Texas resident.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Michigan only gives permits to residents so it is invalid as soon as you move. You can apply for a TX CHL immediately, before you establish residency.

If you don't want to be unarmed while you wait for the TX CHL you can get an AZ nonresident CHL right now entirely by mail and carry on that until you have your TX CHL.

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    I have a Virginia resident permit. I asked them if it would still be valid when I moved to Texas. They told me that they didn't care what my address was and that I didn't need to inform them of my new address. My VA permit is valid until expiration (5 years). I suppose it depends on the state as to whether or not your resident permit is still valid once you move out of state.

Man_from_Michigan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Texas Hill Country
    Hmmmm...a little confused here but most all sounds good so far. I know that Michigan and Texas recognize each other in so far as if I am visiting texas on vacation, I am legal to carry concealed until I leave. And I do see the point that once I become a Texas resident, the Mich. priviledge would expire. I nkow that when we moved form Mich. to Delaware, we actually needed to be a "resident" for 6 months before I "actually" became a resident. Is there any such by-laws like that for Texas? I like the fact that I can apply for a Texas CHL as soon as I arrive, cool. And it appears we will most likely be residing in a small town in the Stephenville area. Any more info would be cool....thanks to all who answered! I appreciate it!

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    You don't have to be a Texas resident to take the CHL class and the form you get is good for up to a year before it expires so you've got a good while to actually submit. To the best of my knowledge your current permit will expire once you actually get a Texas license but not 100%, either way you can mail in all the paperwork once you know what your TXDL# is

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Hmmmm...a little confused here but most all sounds good so far. I know that Michigan and Texas recognize each other in so far as if I am visiting texas on vacation, I am legal to carry concealed until I leave. And I do see the point that once I become a Texas resident, the Mich. priviledge would expire. I nkow that when we moved form Mich. to Delaware, we actually needed to be a "resident" for 6 months before I "actually" became a resident. Is there any such by-laws like that for Texas? I like the fact that I can apply for a Texas CHL as soon as I arrive, cool. And it appears we will most likely be residing in a small town in the Stephenville area. Any more info would be cool....thanks to all who answered! I appreciate it!

What else do you want to know?

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    Having already made the move, here is what I know.

1) Once you no longer have a Michigan Address or you surrender your drivers license to another state to obtain a new license then you can no longer carry under your Michigan CHL.

2) You must return, to your county gun board, your CHL card once it becomes invalid. Mail it back return receipt so you have something saying when it was delivered to them.

3) If you will still have relatives in Michigan you might do something like what I am going to suggest next. I do not recommend it as it might get you in legal hot water if something were to happen but that decision is up to you. About a month prior to moving change your address to your relatives and get the sticker on your drivers license. You do not have to notify the gun board of your move until its time to renew your CHL so as long as its not about to expire you should be good then until you get your TX Drivers license.

Get your CHL in Texas once you are here. Or if you are still in the process of moving and will be here for a week or so sometime take the class, schedule and get your fingerprints taken and then file for a non resident (leave at least 7 weeks between mailing date of your packet and your actual moving date so you get your TXCHL in Michigan and dont leave it hanging in the mail) and then once you are here full time change your address and CHL to a Resident. Someone suggested I do that I forget who it was I think on another forum.

Radioman

Radioman93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Texas
    Also plan to NOT stop for the night in Illinois. Either go around it via Ohio Kentucky and Tennessee if you live on the east side of the state or if you live on the west side just plan to make it out of Illinois in one day. If you can do a 16 hr driving day you can make it from the Grand Rapids area to Little Rock by driving through IL and fueling up when you stop to eat. If you are in the UP and going down via Wisconsin good luck cause I havent researched that route but I know Wisconsin Illinois and Iowa are not the friendliest to visitors with guns. For Illinois just leave your gun unloaded and in the cargo area of your vehicle that you are driving when in IL. After leaving the state hit a rest stop and arm up again. Federal law will protect you when driving through but if you stop for the night then you are subject to state laws regarding firearms.

And as always have a safe trip whichever way you go.

Radioman

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Also plan to NOT stop for the night in Illinois. Either go around it via Ohio Kentucky and Tennessee if you live on the east side of the state or if you live on the west side just plan to make it out of Illinois in one day. If you can do a 16 hr driving day you can make it from the Grand Rapids area to Little Rock by driving through IL and fueling up when you stop to eat. If you are in the UP and going down via Wisconsin good luck cause I havent researched that route but I know Wisconsin Illinois and Iowa are not the friendliest to visitors with guns. For Illinois just leave your gun unloaded and in the cargo area of your vehicle that you are driving when in IL. After leaving the state hit a rest stop and arm up again. Federal law will protect you when driving through but if you stop for the night then you are subject to state laws regarding firearms.

And as always have a safe trip whichever way you go.

Radioman

Earlier this year, I had to drive back to the Grand Rapids area for a family funeral. Going around IL, AR isn't too out of line for an overnight stop, and I didn't even start the return trip that early. I think I was in Little Rock around 10 PM.

I think it was about a 20 hour drive from San Antonio, all told. Made the trip up without sleep. Took a nap on the way back because I had to pick something up in Houston on my way home, and ETA was something dumb like 5AM. Also, by the time I stopped, I was at the point where I was seein' stuff that wasn't there.

wellerjohn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Needville, TX
    Michigan only gives permits to residents so it is invalid as soon as you move. You can apply for a TX CHL immediately, before you establish residency.

If you don't want to be unarmed while you wait for the TX CHL you can get an AZ nonresident CHL right now entirely by mail and carry on that until you have your TX CHL.
    Thats the way I handled it last year when I moved from California. Lost my California permit as soon as I moved but the Arizona permit was valid until Texas came thru. The Arizona permit is like $60 and youll have it in abour 15 days after you summit the paper work.

Top Bottom