Reciprocity Question

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by lojackf150, Jan 31, 2018.

1. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    A differed adjudication usually means that after a certain period of following a court order the charges dropped and the record is expunged.

2. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I think Texas treats differed adjudication a little differently than other states, at least when it comes to getting a CHL. Interesting situation to be in. Silence is probably the best option.

Southpaw likes this.
  3. Southpaw

Southpaw SUPER OWNER TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Texas
    Yep..finding out one may not be eligible for a TX license and continuing to carry on another states non resident license might not be a good thing to find oneself trying to defend.

Also, if you apply for TX and you are denied you might find other states refuse to renew or issue their's to you. I know FL (at least at one time)specifically asked if you had ever been denied a license in any other state.

4. lojackf150

lojackf150 New Member

Jan 23, 2018
    cypress
    This is interesting....from another person in chl forum.

My first post here but your missing this part of the law.

ยง 411.1711. CERTAIN EXEMPTIONS FROM CONVICTIONS. A
    person is not convicted, as that term is defined by Section 411.171,
    if an order of deferred adjudication was entered against the person
    on a date not less than 10 years preceding the date of the person's
    application for a license under this subchapter unless the order of
    deferred adjudication was entered against the person for an offense
    under Title 5, Penal Code, or Chapter 29, Penal Code.

This is why i have a permit from 3 other states. If Deferred Adjudication was given for anything under Title 5 or Chapter 29 Texas will not issue a permit.I was denied again last month for a deferred charge i had 16yrs ago.I still have full rites like everybody else.It was a felony conviction that was set aside with no adjudication of guilt.I paid a fine and 60 days probation that was it.Mine fell under Title 5 chapter 22. Only person that filed charges against me was the District Attorneys office. 16yrs and 3 lawyers later Texas still says no.

5. tool4daman

tool4daman New Member

Sep 19, 2014
    North DFW
    You may legally carry in Texas using either the Florida or Arizona permit. As long as Texas recognizes non-resident permits from those states, you may carry. The fact that the state of Texas will not issue you a license is irrelevant.

lojackf150 likes this.
  6. lojackf150

lojackf150 New Member

Jan 23, 2018
    cypress
    Thank you for the clarification. That is what I assumed but you know what happens when you do that!

Thanks again.