• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    What is the criteria for reciprocity between states, i.e., why do some states not honor other states' CHLs? Ignore California when answering. LOL

I am just curious because, as an example, Texas and Florida reciprocate, and Florida reciprocates with Nevada, but Texas and Nevada don't.
    Hurley's Gold

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I believe that it is based on the requirements for obtaining the CHL. That is what I remember hearing and am too lazy to look it up and present you with facts.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I believe that it is based on the requirements for obtaining the CHL.

That is what I would have thought as well, until I saw the scenario I mentioned above with Nevada/Florida/Texas. If Florida is good enough for Nevada, and Texas is good enough for Florida, then why is Texas not good enough for Nevada? I guess "good enough" must have more flexibility in some states than others.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    It's based on a lot of things...There are just about as many reasons as there are states who issue licenses.

Here's a few...
    Different training requirements; like which classes have to be taken
    Different background check
    Age requirement
    Whether there is a picture on the ID
    Length until Permit expires
    Whether a permit is only for certain (registered)firearms, class of firearms, or any firearms

If you want Nevada, you could always get a Utah non-resident permit. Its pretty easy to get and adds a few extra states for you.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks Ker, much appreciated. I was just using Nevada as an example, since there seems to be some indiscrepancies between the three states I mentioned.

Curly 45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Full Time RV'er
    Changing States

Can anyone tell me the procedure for changing from my tenn carry permit to a texas one? Do I have to go through the whole routine again? This is waht I was told at a gun show in McAllen but the guy that told me was a conceled carry instructor. Amy help would be appreciated.:1zhelp:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Can anyone tell me the procedure for changing from my tenn carry permit to a texas one? Do I have to go through the whole routine again? This is waht I was told at a gun show in McAllen but the guy that told me was a conceled carry instructor. Amy help would be appreciated.:1zhelp:

How about you start your own thread instead of hijacking mine.

Just kidding..sorta. EDIT: I just noticed that you did start a new thread.

I am 99.9% sure that the instructor you spoke to was correct (99% of our instructors know the process really well). There is no "changing" from state to state, and you will have to start from ground zero. On the upside, Texas will honor your TN CHL until it expires, so that buys you some time.

Top Bottom