Reclassifying a Rifle to Pistol

IndyDave1776

Jan 9, 2021
Indiana
ATF:

Q: Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?

A: Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.

Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).

[26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 CFR § 479.11]

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Fair enough. I was sifting the SC ruling.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
That case addressed shipping together the parts to build a rifle on a handgun platform, not actually assembling it.
The impact of the ruling is that a receiver that is initially a pistol may be built into a rifle and then switched back to a pistol, over and over.

If I ever buy a bare action, I assemble it as a pistol first so that I have options in the future.

The only thing that irritates me because I'm still not clear on it has to do with old actions. I have actions that were built and shipped prior to the ruling. They've never had a barrel installed. So, can I make them into pistols? Truth to tell, I don't even know what a 4473 from 40 years ago looks like or how it classified bare actions. I don't know if those actions were "other" or "rifle" or whatever. So I probably won't take the chance. But that's a side issue, anyway.

Back to the point: Pistols can become rifles that become pistols; repeat as often as you wish. Rifles remain rifles.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
Jan 13, 2017
Jarrell TX, United States
Comments are now open here -- https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...with-attached-stabilizing-braces#open-comment

I posted the following --

It is impossible for a law which violates the Constitution to be valid --

"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void" - Marbury vs Madison 1803.

Why does the ATF continue, along with the DOJ, to create new regulations and rules on top of rules that are ALREADY in violation of the constitution?

We are behaving civilized because we are civilized people, however, the ATF continues to infringe on rights that are not granted by the government, but to be secured by them. Would you please stop?

These regulations do nothing to deter crime, but they only increase times law abiding citizens have to wait to purchase and own something that is constitutionally guaranteed.

The entire NFA is unconstitutional as are these new regulations being proposed.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
I'm the only one that cares to comment?
@Southpaw has a whole ‘nother thread going on for that one. Lots of discussions and a few sample
Comments.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics