• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Wife's car had a Black Widow alarm w remote start. It was pretty awesome. Had to dial down the sensitivity due to acorns falling from an oak tree would set it off.
    Capitol Armory ad

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Car alarms should be illegal. They're just a nuisance at this point. Instead what should be implemented is a remote system that notifies your cell phone the car is being tampered with. The loud noises bother me and I've more than been tempted to give some people's vehicles a reason to make noise because they went off so often or for so long.

Back in 2002 I had a neighbor who passed out drunk at his house. His car alarm started going off at 1 in the morning on a weeknight. It went off for 2 hours. I finally popped his hood (with a crowbar) and disconnected the battery. Don't leave anything your car you aren't willing to lose.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Car alarms should be illegal. They're just a nuisance at this point. Instead what should be implemented is a remote system that notifies your cell phone the car is being tampered with. The loud noises bother me and I've more than been tempted to give some people's vehicles a reason to make noise because they went off so often or for so long.

Back in 2002 I had a neighbor who passed out drunk at his house. His car alarm started going off at 1 in the morning on a weeknight. It went off for 2 hours. I finally popped his hood (with a crowbar) and disconnected the battery. Don't leave anything your car you aren't willing to lose.
    Yeah, if something bothers you let's make it illegal. But you are ok committing a crime when something bothers you.

Pompass much?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Yeah, if something bothers you let's make it illegal. But you are ok committing a crime when something bothers you.

Pompass much?

disturbing the peace at 1 am is a crime.

It's not about it bothering me. It's about the fallacy that a car alarm even deters intruders. At best it will stop them after they've busted your window open. At worst your car rolls down the street when it's stolen because they know it doesn't work. They SHOULD be illegal for the fact they FALSELY advertise protection while disturbing the peace. They're like you. They're impotent.

Am I pompous? I don't know you could ask the people that show up to the meets and have talked to me in person.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Seriously get The Owl it’s a video security system. Plugs into obdII port. Front and rear cameras. Records break ins and accidents. LTE chip uploads videos to cloud. Alerts you if car messed with by text. No sirens to annoy neighbors.

Here is my truck being robbed in St Louis. Regret I had my phone on silent. I could of greeted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Seriously get The Owl it’s a video security system. Plugs into obdII port. Front and rear cameras. Records break ins and accidents. LTE chip uploads videos to cloud. Alerts you if car messed with by text. No sirens to annoy neighbors.

Here is my truck being robbed in St Louis. Regret I had my phone on silent. I could of greeted them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like the way to go. The Slick Locks and The Owl would make the vehicle a very bad target for thieves. It seems most of the time the thieves are looking for low hanging fruit. That combination would eliminate that. Thanks STP, very good recommendation.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    If your vehicle is 10 years old or newer and is typical in equipment then the OEM stuff and general prevention is much better than any of the Chinese junk some 19-year old fresh out of shop class hacks into your wiring harness. Like any other profession there are great installers just not very many and I see 2500 hack jobs for every one good installation.

pbratton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    OK, so your vehicle is parked and you're well away from it.

Alarm starts blaring.

As a good citizen am 'I' expected to do something?

How am I supposed to know if it's a break in or the owner locked his keys inside the vehicle or dropped them or and is now trying to get in his own vehicle...?

I sure as hell ain't going to question the guy who set off the alarm.

I'm not L.E. and can't be certain if what I see is a crime or guy trying to get in his own vehicle.

Alarms have very limited use, but maybe useful if in your driveway/garage - out and about, nah...

My .02 cents.......

My Viper alarm will notify me via text messaging, anywhere I have signal.

Top Bottom