• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Need advice on a knife sharpening tool/kit/machine.
    I frequently pick-up knives cheap at garage sales, etc. Often they're in pretty bad shape but made of excellent steel. Especially the old German made butcher knives.
    So far I've been using files(to smooth down and even the chipped edge).
    Then a Lansky. The Lansky works but it sure is slow and laborious to get an edge. Plus it seems to scratch up the sides of the blades.

Any ideas?
    Lynx Defense

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who isn't enamored with that Lansky kit. I bought one with an Academy gift card I got for Christmas and it seems way too cumbersome. I don't know anything about that Edge Pro Apex but I googled it and it looks like it's even more so.

I need to suck it up, get a good sharpening stone, and force myself to learn how to use it.

PhulesAu

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    Lazy Azz answer. Table top belt sander, with a leather belt, and Jeweler's rouge. It's nice to use a guide for even slow passes across the blade.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Got the Work Sharp Ken Onion edition sharpener for Christmas and love it. I need to to a review on here about it.

My kitchen and carry knives have never been sharper and I'm getting good at it something I can say never happened with other methods:

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-KO-Sharpener-Edition/dp/B00EJ9CQKA Despite some reviews if you keep to the instructions it won't round points.

My friend got the Wicked Edge Precision Knife Sharpener setup. He really likes it over the edge pro he had. If I had the cash I'd have gotten it.

I've even re-profiled the edge on several knives. Unless the knife is a collector item or starts out sharp go with the grit more aggressive than recommended in the instructions.

Last edited:

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Warthog Sharpeners-Classic II. Bought one last year. I've only used it twice. Works very well and easy to use. A little on the expensive side but I think the price is cheaper online, compared to the $70 I paid.

V-SHARP Classic II | V-Sharp

Top Bottom