Texas SOT

Recommendation for a Gunsmith in Bexar County, Who Repairs Rifles & Shotguns.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

I need a scope installed (NONE of my allen wrenches is the correct size.) and I also need a recoil pad replaced/installed on my "new to me" Model 760 Remington in 9.3x62mm Mauser.

Any suggestions for a local 'smith that will do "small jobs"??
    (The gunsmith that was recommended to me doesn't do "conventional" long arms. - Just handguns & AR's.)

yours, satx
    Gun Zone Deals

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    If you don't mind the drive armed in America has a gun smith

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Many years ago I had a recoil pad don at Don's Guns, 410 and Fredericksburg Rd and they did a good job. I don't know if the gunsmith is still there but you could give them a call.

(210) 736-0263

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Wezel,

I talked to Drury's & was told that the 15-20 minutes of work that I need would cost me between 80-100 bucks. ======> Thanks, but NO THANKS.

Surely there is an independent gunsmith around Bexar County that does small jobs at a reasonable price.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Now that I've found the CORRECT allen-wrench (at O' Reilly's Auto Parts, of all places) this afternoon, it took me about 10 minutes to correctly install the rings & scope.
    (Should any of our local members need this simple job done, you have only to ask.)

Note: The CORRECT size wrench is NEITHER a standard Metric NOR a SAE size. = It's an "odd-ball" size.

I'm neither a fast smith, nor a slow smith; instead, I'm about a HALF-fast (Army-taught) armorer.

yours, satx

Last edited:

TX14239

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2016
    Good to hear you were able to find what you needed! I would always rather work on my own guns than have someone else messing with them. Unless it's something I have no clue how to do, and would potentially destroy my firearm...I'd probably at least try to learn to do it myself.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TX14239,

What I "just don't get" is why Redfield decided to use a non-standard size set of screws for those NOS 1970s vintage scope-rings, that is neither SAE nor metric.
    (That just had to be a PITA for the company.)

Fwiw, I had ZERO problem doing the installation in < 15 minutes, once I had the correct size allen wrench.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    southtexaspilot,

Redfield didn't use torx screws in those days. - This is a set of 1970s NOS rings/mounts. = YEP, an oddball size allen-screw called a T-12.

yours, satx

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    southtexaspilot,

Redfield didn't use torx screws in those days. - This is a set of 1970s NOS rings/mounts. = YEP, an oddball size allen-screw called a T-12.

yours, satx
    That is very odd given Torque wrenches are given the "T" size designation.

Glad you got it sorted out though.

I usually associate odd size fasteners with cheap Chinese junk. If they are original (American made probably if from the '70s) that is a very odd animal you have there.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Dawico,

AGREED. = According to the computer at the auto parts store, the correct size allen-wrench is the proper size to fit the fastenings on a GM fuel injection system. = That's why the store had that size wrench in stock.
    (I cannot say why Redfield decided to use that weird size in the '70s.)

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    T anything is a "Torx" bit, not Allen, lol.

You just bought an uncommon size Torx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Younggun,

I suppose that it's possible that Redfield made ONE (or a very few) rings/bases in Torx in the early 1970s (when they were making all their other similar products in SAE allen sizes) BUT I suspect that they know what they made back "in the day". = Are you SURE that >40 years ago that what things were "called" then is the same as in 2016??
    (O'Reilly's computer also calls what "fits" an allen wrench for some of the "old school" GM fuel injection systems.)

Unlike some here, I'm FAR from a "tool expert" or for that matter an "expert" in anything but SNORING, which I'm reliably told that I do quite well.

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Allens will fit certain Torx screws, and certain Torx bits/wrenched will remove certain Allen head screws. But that also often leads to stripped screws or bits.

T#s however, have always applied to Torx where hex/Allen wrenches have always been measured in fractions of inches or millimeters. Never by a numbering system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Next time you might want to take the screws down to the tool store and see if you can find something with the same size threads but with a more reasonable sized head. They will have something in the nuts and bolts section bolted to the wall which will allow you to find out exactly what size your threads are. It looks like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51p3YtSHqyL.jpg

Can't tell you how many times I've done this for my motorcycle. Of course you'll have to paint them black. If you need torx bits, Harbor Frieght is the best place I know to look.

TX14239

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2016
    What did the tool end up looking like? I know allen heads have 6 flat edges...TORX normally look like stars.

Either way... Glad you got it figured out. No idea why they'd use odd-ball hardware. =/

Top Bottom