• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexYid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2019
    Coastal Bend
    I am in need of someone to unload a gun safe from a moving truck and move it inside our new place at the end of June.

Any recommendations?
    Target Sports

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Personally, I would do it myself. If that is not possible, then good friends. I don't want strangers knowing I have a safe.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    A bucket of tennis balls. I've seen it done. Get as many as you can under the safe and continue to put them under the front of the safe as you move it forward. It just glides along.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I'm in for more comments. I too have heard the golf ball trick. The problem with my move is it's down several steps and then up several steps and onto carpet. My safe also weighs >1700#.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Holy heck at 1700. I just moved a pair of 375lb and a 550lb "small" safes. Not too bad to just push them over into a trailer and tip them back out.

It did cost me a cheap wood harbor freight furniture dolly and one of there expensive plastic with metal reinforcements. The plastic one with metal would have worked great but my wife had it clocked 90 degrees out. When I dropped the safe on it it folded in half. The metal only helps if you use it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TexYid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2019
    Coastal Bend
    Tractor Supply hires an outside contractor to move their safes when they sell one. They moved a big one into my son's house Perhaps you can get their contact info from TS.

Yeah, that is my back up plan. Figure out who the box stores are using. That is how I got it into my current home.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    When moving a similar safe (weight wise, maybe not quite that heavy) off truck with a ramp, this is what I did. For liability reasons, I do not recommend anyone else do the same. {Insert full legal disclaimer - delivered by an ominous sounding narrator voice - here.}

Put the safe on an appliance dolly while in the truck. Put a goodly number of moving pads/blankets down at the end of the ramp, some draped over the last foot or so of the ramp. Two of us leaned the safe back at the top of the ramp, laying it down (okay, maybe almost a controlled drop for the last bit). Then pushed it a little bit (remember there are rollers on the lower back of the appliance dolly) until it reached the tipping point went down the ramp on its own. It slid to the bottom where the blankets stopped it. Then lifted it upright. Loosened the appliance dolly, then "walked" the safe off the dolly. Next got the safe onto the four wheel dolly. Then wheeled into the house.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Around here, Bass Pro Shop has business cards from a safe mover. The cards are usually sitting on top of the safes or on the checkout counter close to the safes.

Another possibility is to check with a company there that sells safes and see if they will move it (for a fee, of course) or if they can recommend someone dependable.

Last edited:

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    One other thing, buy a couple of sheets of plywood or OSB to lay down on the floor. It will help when you roll it across carpet. And it will also help avoid the dolly wheels (or golf balls if you use them) cracking your tile or hardwood.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    One other thing, buy a couple of sheets of plywood or OSB to lay down on the floor. It will help when you roll it across carpet. And it will also help avoid the dolly wheels (or golf balls if you use them) cracking your tile or hardwood.

Did not have a problem with four wheel dolly on carpet or tile. In retrospect, could certainly see the possibility of cracking tile. Guess I was fortunate the tile was well laid.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Holy heck at 1700. I just moved a pair of 375lb and a 550lb "small" safes. Not too bad to just push them over into a trailer and tip them back out.

It did cost me a cheap wood harbor freight furniture dolly and one of there expensive plastic with metal reinforcements. The plastic one with metal would have worked great but my wife had it clocked 90 degrees out. When I dropped the safe on it it folded in half. The metal only helps if you use it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I did move a 350_400 pound safe with the help of a dolly, trailer, 2x4s and 3 friends. It was as big as we could do without more mechanical help. The safe also went from concrete garage to concrete garage.

Top Bottom