Recommendations for a first time gun owner

flgfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 16, 2020
The Woodlands
Great points, but unfortunately most I've seen OC'ing usually seem to either cheap out on holsters or buy one for its aesthetics. Not OC'ing would be a better option in that case. Most of the leading instructors in the industry don't have a fond outlook on it anyways as it has distinct disadvantages.
100% agree. I cringe inside every time I see it. I imagine some lowlife taking it away from them and beating them with it. It makes you a target. And you also get the bonus opportunity to deal with every Karen and opinionated douchebag you run across.

I carry concealed all the time, unless I am at a range, in a class, or wearing my plate carrier because of the end of the world. Haven’t had to do the last one yet.

zackmars

Beretta fanboy
TGT Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nov 4, 2015
Texas
Since we moved to Texas over the summer I am no longer an ltc instructor. These are simply observations.

I have never seen a new shooter operate a revolver well.

Da/sa is not for new shooters. I saw this in the army. New shooters and da/ sa do not need to hang out.

Sao is fine with the consistent trigger pull but new shooter are unlikely to handle 1911 level maintenance.

Being a new shooter is going to require the same box of holsters as we all bought when we first got our LTC.

This brings us to holster availability and leads us to the Glock or sig 365 series. Once the carry position and holster are determined then other options open up based on that holster.

Accessory availability aside I would recommend the HK vp9. It has everything in the box to make it fit a person's hand. It's biggest downside is the lack of readily available holsters.

Unless we are talking about a crazy heavy DA pull, DA/SA is every bit as easy to master as SAO. The key, as is the case with any firearm is good instruction and good practice

I would not look to the military for good handgun instruction, case in point;
img_7911.jpg

A new shooter with either no, or bad instruction is going to perform poorly with any gun you give them. No one just picks up a gun for the first time and makes one ragged hole.

The vp9 is a good gun, but is rather complex, and magazines and spare parts are not cheap

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
Since we moved to Texas over the summer I am no longer an ltc instructor. These are simply observations.

I have never seen a new shooter operate a revolver well.

Da/sa is not for new shooters. I saw this in the army. New shooters and da/ sa do not need to hang out.

Sao is fine with the consistent trigger pull but new shooter are unlikely to handle 1911 level maintenance.

Being a new shooter is going to require the same box of holsters as we all bought when we first got our LTC.

This brings us to holster availability and leads us to the Glock or sig 365 series. Once the carry position and holster are determined then other options open up based on that holster.

Accessory availability aside I would recommend the HK vp9. It has everything in the box to make it fit a person's hand. It's biggest downside is the lack of readily available holsters.

No bias there.

OLDVET

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Dec 14, 2009
Richardson, Texas
Let me add my two cents.
Find a firearm that is in the price range that fits your budget.
Find a firearm that feels comfortable in your hand so recoil will not be a problem.
When you find something you like, research it on the internet.
Something that works great for me may not be good for you. There is a vast market of firearms out there. Search wisely.
In the end it is you that needs to be happy with whatever you buy, not strangers here on this website.
Good Luck.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud
Shroud