Join TexasGunTalk

Recommendations for a Pressure Cooker/Canner

Discussion in 'Food, Water Storage and other Prepper Gear' started by jcrntx, Nov 9, 2013.

1. jcrntx

jcrntx Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Shopping for a pressure cooker/canner, more for canning. Any folks with experience offer any recommendations for particular brands/sizes/models. Things to look for and things to stay away from. Have heard good things about the all american canners and folks seem to like the fact that they don't have a rubber seal. Any and all info appreciated, thanks!

2. mitchntx

mitchntx Sarcasm Sensei TGT Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    SW of FW
    The wife uses a vintage Presto canner we've had for over 30 years. All American is a good brand as well.

Our Presto is a twist-lock style lid and the all American is latch and screw seal. latch style is a bigger pita, but the seal doesn't take a beating sliding on the sealing surface.

Chances are good you'll rarely doublestack quarts, so a 20-ish qt size will let you can 7 quart jars, 8 pints and enough head room doublestack pints.

Consistent pressure is key to prevent siphoning. A gauge has to be monitored constantly, a weighted style lets you give attention elsewhere.

We have an glass top stove and am not comfortable with the extended heat and weight of a fully laden canner. So we use an ADCO stand-alone burner ... think hot plate on steroids.

3. reddog

reddog Member

Jul 19, 2013
    For canning bigger is better, buy the largest you can afford/find. I would always go with the gauge over weighted, make no room for mistakes, inattention while canning allows you to make a poison that will kill you and yours within a day. I too am using a Presto that is probably 30+ years old so I don't find that getting a new rubber seal once in a while is a big deal.

4. mitchntx

mitchntx Sarcasm Sensei TGT Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    SW of FW
    Weights are constant, lifting when pressure inches up and closes when pressure drops a tick. With a gauge, the lag ramping up the heat up or down is all about the heat source.

If you go with a twist lock, keep a couple seals on hand. Nothing is more frustrating than having a bunch of food and jars processed, in the canner and the seal develops a small leak.

But, the end results are very satisfying ....

Chicken.jpg

16 pints of chicken.

5. jcrntx

jcrntx Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for the tips fellas. One of the positive things I have heard about the All American brand is they do not use a rubber seal at all. It is a metal to metal so there is never a seal to replace. I have heard they hold up well but haven't personally met anyone who uses one.

6. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!

Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have a 6 quart Presto that has been used a lot in the last 10-15 years. There's another 6 quart and a 16 quart PC but they don't get used as much. I don't can anything but cook in them constantly. I always liked to cook but since retirement, it's a necessity. I ate in a restaurant in October but other than that, I can't remember the last time that I bought a meal out. Picking up a McD's doesn't count. I use the PC's for cooking everything from ribs to chicken to pork roast. Now....let's talk crock pots!

Flash

7. Ready.Fire.Aim

Ready.Fire.Aim Active Member

I have an All American. I use it over a propane burner in my carport since typical canning season is in the summer and I don't want the heat in the house. It is a very rugged device.

It is too heavy for a glass top stove.

8. DMC

DMC Active Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    Another all American canner user here. Very well built. I've had it for five years. Great canner and or cooker.

9. quackchilly

quackchilly New Member

Nov 27, 2013
    We are using Presto 23 quart pressure canner and cooker at home

10. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have a 22 quart Mirro. It was cheap and works great. It's the style that uses weights and a rubber seal... I've had it for a few years and haven't had to replace the seal yet. It will eventually need to be replaced, but the seals are pretty cheap, too.

The All American brand ones are pretty awesome, tho... Those things will last multiple generations.