• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Shopping for a pressure cooker/canner, more for canning. Any folks with experience offer any recommendations for particular brands/sizes/models. Things to look for and things to stay away from. Have heard good things about the all american canners and folks seem to like the fact that they don't have a rubber seal. Any and all info appreciated, thanks!
    Venture Surplus ad

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    The wife uses a vintage Presto canner we've had for over 30 years. All American is a good brand as well.

Our Presto is a twist-lock style lid and the all American is latch and screw seal. latch style is a bigger pita, but the seal doesn't take a beating sliding on the sealing surface.

Chances are good you'll rarely doublestack quarts, so a 20-ish qt size will let you can 7 quart jars, 8 pints and enough head room doublestack pints.

Consistent pressure is key to prevent siphoning. A gauge has to be monitored constantly, a weighted style lets you give attention elsewhere.

We have an glass top stove and am not comfortable with the extended heat and weight of a fully laden canner. So we use an ADCO stand-alone burner ... think hot plate on steroids.

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    For canning bigger is better, buy the largest you can afford/find. I would always go with the gauge over weighted, make no room for mistakes, inattention while canning allows you to make a poison that will kill you and yours within a day. I too am using a Presto that is probably 30+ years old so I don't find that getting a new rubber seal once in a while is a big deal.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    For canning bigger is better, buy the largest you can afford/find. I would always go with the gauge over weighted, make no room for mistakes, inattention while canning allows you to make a poison that will kill you and yours within a day. I too am using a Presto that is probably 30+ years old so I don't find that getting a new rubber seal once in a while is a big deal.

Weights are constant, lifting when pressure inches up and closes when pressure drops a tick. With a gauge, the lag ramping up the heat up or down is all about the heat source.

If you go with a twist lock, keep a couple seals on hand. Nothing is more frustrating than having a bunch of food and jars processed, in the canner and the seal develops a small leak.

But, the end results are very satisfying ....

Chicken.jpg

16 pints of chicken.

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for the tips fellas. One of the positive things I have heard about the All American brand is they do not use a rubber seal at all. It is a metal to metal so there is never a seal to replace. I have heard they hold up well but haven't personally met anyone who uses one.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have a 6 quart Presto that has been used a lot in the last 10-15 years. There's another 6 quart and a 16 quart PC but they don't get used as much. I don't can anything but cook in them constantly. I always liked to cook but since retirement, it's a necessity. I ate in a restaurant in October but other than that, I can't remember the last time that I bought a meal out. Picking up a McD's doesn't count. I use the PC's for cooking everything from ribs to chicken to pork roast. Now....let's talk crock pots!

Flash

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    Another all American canner user here. Very well built. I've had it for five years. Great canner and or cooker.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have a 22 quart Mirro. It was cheap and works great. It's the style that uses weights and a rubber seal... I've had it for a few years and haven't had to replace the seal yet. It will eventually need to be replaced, but the seals are pretty cheap, too.

The All American brand ones are pretty awesome, tho... Those things will last multiple generations.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I use an All American as well. Works great. It's one of those quality tools that will last a lifetime and no seals to replace.

I make pulled pork in it as well when I dont have all day to BBQ. Turns out pretty good and very tender.

It's got the gauge and the weight. Why choose?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have a Presto 16 QT and two 6 qt PC's

Tonight, I cooked 10 1/2 pounds of chicken thighs in the 16 quart Presto. These weren't just thighs. They were huge and looked more like turkey thighs!

15 minutes from rocking of the pressure relief. The biggest thigh had some juice running out so I left them in the oven a bit longer to dry out & make sure they were all done. Then brushed on BBQ sauce.

I put 4 on my plate but could only eat three. That was a LOT of chicken!

Flash

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom