• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Need a vehicle for 18yr daughter local travel, Lone Star, work, etc. Be nice if it worked for awhile. Old guy on SocSec and no job... Likes small and good gas mileage. NO EVs please. Not that you have one as much as 'do/don't buy that' guidance. Will do stick shift, thinks it's cool. Miracles appreciated. Tks.
    Lynx Defense

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I have a 2014 Mazda 2 I have used as a commuter for the past 5 or so years. 100k+ miles and zero issues. Maintenance is cheap and easy to do yourself.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Terrible time to look for a used rig but I'm going to suggest any of the late 90's or early 2000's Regal. They have always been one of the more affordable cars used. Maybe because it's an old person car? I don't know...What I do know is these cars and the engine are legendary. These cars will run for a long time. I remember one that had 130 some thousand miles and it only needed a thermostat.

Buick_V6_engine

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    Terrible time to look for a used rig but I'm going to suggest any of the late 90's or early 2000's Regal. They have always been one of the more affordable cars used. Maybe because it's an old person car? I don't know...What I do know is these cars and the engine are legendary. These cars will run for a long time. I remember one that had 130 some thousand miles and it only needed a thermostat.

Buick_V6_engine
    Any Buick with the 3800 will be solid, great motor.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    This isn't the answer you are looking for, but I put my young drivers in large vehicles for safety reasons. And very glad I did so, after someone pulled out right in front of one of my kids. Did not damage to my old SUV, but took the front end off the car that pulled out in front of them (other driver was at fault).

The gas bill difference will not be huge, small price to pay for safety at risk filled age.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Its really hard to go wrong with a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic - smaller, great on gas 4 bangers, cheap to insure and cheap to maintain, both helped build Honda and Toyota's reputations for reliability and longevity. After towing so many damn cars thru the years, I have a hard time recommending domestic sedans. The reliable ones aren't great on gas, the ones that get good gas mileage are usually crap from a reliability standpoint.

I really liked my Chevy Cruze (I had a 2012) BUT the extended warranty I bought with it paid for itself a few times. In the three years I owned it, I had 3 major break downs that required it being towed in to a dealer for service. Head gasket, transmission seals, and water pump all failed within a few months of each other. I'd gotten the car as a one-owner before me and it was low miles. Comfort wise, it was THE most roomy comfortable small car ever. I'm 6'4" and I had full extension on my legs - no one could sit behind me like that, but it was comfy. And it was a zippy little car - turbo charged 4 cylinder with a 6 speed auto. But it wasn't as reliable as the Japanese cars are known to be.

A slight upgrade in size - a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord would also be great choices. They both come in 4 or 6 cylinder models. Good on gas, reliable, and she'll have a little more room to haul people or stuff with her if she needs.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Pretty much any Toyota or Surbaru product is what I would be looking at.
    Subaru produces trash. I used to think it was a good brand. Ordered a new clutch fan, OEM, and it fell apart on the spot. They make safe rigs, but engine, bruce Jenner, and many parts are just hyped up trash. Oil consumption and piston issues are the norm. I'm glad my wife got rid of hers...Only to get a nice Lexus and wreck it.

I hated that lesbian SUV. Never own one again.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    A few years back, we gave our oldest Granddaughter my wife's Toyota Corolla with only 40,000 miles on it (and never a problem of any kind) and then we gave our youngest Granddaughter my wife's RAV4 with only 10,000 miles on it.

But my Daughter, had to get a job if she wanted a car...yeah, I was a hard bastard then and once Granddaugters came along, I became a pushover...sigh.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom