• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    the 9/11 museum was disappointing - its really small, crowded as can be...a few good artifacts but it pales in comparison to the OKC memorial/museum (imo)

Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    the 9/11 museum was disappointing - its really small, crowded as can be...a few good artifacts but it pales in comparison to the OKC memorial/museum (imo)

Funny you make that comparison because just this weekend I was talking to a friend who had been to both and said precisely the same thing. She was very impressed by the OKC memorial; said it was very well done.

Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    Upstate is really nice. Too bad it's located in NY...

Ha ha - Amen to that. I spent my early childhood WAY upstate (Ithaca) but have spent time further down as well, in the Poughkeepsie area, and love it. As an adult during my time in NYC it was wonderful to get away from the city and take the train upstate. Like a different world.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i concur on the upstate - or even just "up the hudson"...i wouldnt want to live in NY/NYC - but i never hated visiting

the trips to West Point while my son was in school there were a lot of fun - and its a beautiful part of the country.....4 seasons is a foreign idea to most of us here! :)

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Upstate is really nice. Too bad it's located in NY...

Yeah, pretty but way too cold and WAY over-taxed! I had to join a rod-n-gun club in order to use a shooting range, but those guys were nearly as cool as folks here at home. If they had their way, they'd split off the Hudson River Valley (i.e., NYC and Albany) and their tax load would plummet. I sometimes feel that way about the liberal preserve we maintain in Austin.

As far as negative comments on NYC, I think it's just not my kind of place. Everyone should go there at least once, and there are many interesting things to see and do. But something like Broadway does nothing for me. I hope y'all have a great time; be sure to post pics.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    We want to go to NYC at Christmas time one of these years.. liking all the suggestions so far.
    We have been to the state of NY in the motorhome and saw some beautiful areas in upstate NY...just didn't want to take the MH to the city at the time.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    my thoughts are that you'll be so busy - and have a lot less extra time than you think - that you'll eat kind of on the go - where you can and when you can

thats been my experience - you can spend a fair amount of time looking for/getting too - a good/specific eatery - but there are sooo many options everywhere - you kind of just go with your gut (pun intended) and pick something random

and by "you", i mean "I"

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for all the suggestions, lots of valuable info. just jk, you are probably right, my wife has us scheduled for so much stuff, tours, etc, probably won't have much free time. I know on one of the tours we have lunch at katz deli, on one, we hit the seinfield coffee shop for lunch. Wife and daughter are going to do the today/gma shows and are doing a tour at nbc, unfortunately, I will be working those 2 days so won't get to tag along for those. If we manage to hit everything she has scheduled will see plenty of stuff. She was trying to schedule a tour of MSG but they are not doing them during renovations, looking at catching a Yankees game, Baltimore and Seattle are playing during that week. Not a Yankees fan or even a big baseball fan but would be fun to catch a game and see the stadium.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i HATE/LOATHE the yankees

but my boys and i went to a game there - the new Yankee stadium is GORGEOUS

if you like baseball at all - and can get tickets - i'd go - awesome place

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah, I am with you on the Yankees. I was out in LA for a few months a few summers ago working and hit a couple Angels games (Mets came to town) and it was a GREAT time, actually ended up sitting next to some folks from San Antonio in the stands. And it was 65 degrees in the evening in June which made it even that much more enjoyable.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    a warning re: those tour buses

GREAT way to get around manhattan and see the highlights - BUT - some of the tour guides can be rather liberal (go figure right?) and will throw in their own political commentary

i had to listen to one rag on "teabaggers" and some Sarah Palin jokes, as well as some comments on immigration. i let him know what i thought as i got off the bus, told him "here's your tip, know your audience"

Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    A Yankees game would be great, but two things: 1) usually pretty pricey and 2) it's a LONG train ride out there, basically to Yonkers at the edge of the Bronx. It's quite the investment (time and money)!

As for where to eat I agree with what someone else said - there is SO much to eat out there you will not be disappointed or at a loss for variety, and honestly, some of the best places to eat are the little no-name diners that pepper the city. Just dip into one of them and chances are you'll be happy. The more famous places can be disappointing, especially after they hype and the wait. Went to Carnegie Deli once and was very disappointed. For a $15 (and this was in the late 90's) turkey sandwich, I want that thing to sing and dance for me. They thought just piling five lbs of shaved turkey between two pieces of bread was some kind of gourmet treat.

Hope you have a great time and will give us an update upon your return!

Top Bottom