• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madhouse

Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    All I've ever had are semi-auto pistols. I was reading my new American Handgunner this past week and they were running an article about pocket holsters with smallish wheel guns. It seemed like a good idea, so now I'm thinking about picking up a setup.

My problem is, I don't know jack about revolvers, I've never even shot one. Anybody got info/advice for me?

Guns International

jcbaggie04

Jan 14, 2009
    Fort Worth
    gotcha, well i am a novice at revolvers as well, but my dad has a S&W .38 snub that is quite small and thin. He really likes it alot, FWIW. dunno if the .38 is too small of a caliber for your tastes though...

ChicagoTex

Jul 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    For concealed pocket carry it's hard to beat an S&W Centennial-style J-Frame (the X40/X42 series) - these are internal-hammer DAO revolvers and are the ultimate in light weight and anti-snag (with the exception of the all-steel 640).

The 442/642s are the most popular, clocking in at a mere 15oz (just a shade under 1lb) unloaded and packing .38 Special +P firepower. They can be had for around $400 new. If you're willing to pony up (~$700-$800 new) for more exotic materials, you can get your hands on an M&P 340 (13.3oz) or a 340PD (12oz) that are able to fire .357 Magnum, though whether you'll be up to that level of recoil, flash, and noise in such a compact package is up to you. Almost everyone I've met who has them carries .38 Special +Ps. The 640 is an all-steel .357 Magnum variant that, at 24oz unloaded, tends to weigh down in the pocket quite a bit - though some people don't mind the weight.

Another option is the "Bodyguard" (X38) variant, which has a shrouded, but still accessible hammer for single-action shooting if you so desire. Note however that it is slightly heavier, more prone to snagging and printing, and generally weirder looking than the Centennial.

I do not recommend regular external hammers for pocket carry, as they DO tend to snag, botching your draw.

As an alternative, if you don't mind the extra weight and size, the Ruger SP101 is a plenty reliable firearm - it just doesn't suit me personally.

I can't in good conscience recommend a Taurus or Charter to anyone, and Rossis are a very mixed bag (some are just fine, a lot aren't.)

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    I will tell you those which I have owned and carried in my experience.

I have a S&W Model 60-7 stainless steel 5 shot 38 spl that I have had for about 10 years and it is a very nice revolver.

I have also carried a S&W Model 37 (Airweight) in 38 spl. I found it was nice to carry but bullets had a tendancy to creep forward and so it went away.

I have have owned two (2) Charter Arms Bulldogs in 44 Spl. Good cartrigde but brutal to qualify with. They went away, but I wish I had not done so.

Back in the late 80's I had a 3" Rossi in 38 spl, not a good revolver in my opinion.

I had a Colt Agent (the newer version) also in the late 80's, and it was a fine revolver and I wish I had it back. Six (6) shot, solid little revolver, carried as a back up gun for a short while, then when to a semi auto as I recall.

I still have a 686 in 2 1/2" 357 that is issued to me that I enjoy very much as an off duty sidearm.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Mostly, I carry a semi auto as off duty but with my 686 i am not under gunned.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have to echo ChicagoTex's comments.

For pants pocket, a J-frame, Colt Agent would be the right size revolver. The SP101 is only slightly bigger, but is probably too heavy. There's a rumor of an alloy SP101 coming out also. Be aware, that some of these will not work with some jeans depending on the size of the pocket and/or the cut of the pants through the hips.

I like the S&W 642. It's the DAO centenial frame. The 642's without the lock were available from RSR recently.
    If you get into the M&P 340 or 340 PD, you also get a pinned front sight. So adding a night sight is an option.

ChicagoTex

Jul 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    If you get into the M&P 340 or 340 PD, you also get a pinned front sight. So adding a night sight is an option.

Right, I forgot about that. Actually the M&P 340 already comes with an XS Big Dot (the sight I'd choose for such an application), the 340PD just has a red ramp.

O.S.O.K.

Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    If I were looking for a snubby right now, I'd definately look at Ruger's new LCR first. Its a 38+P with a polymer rear frame and aluminum cylinder frame and barrel shroud and stainless cylinder and barrel liner. Weighs only 13 ounces but reportadely is a "shoot all day" revolver due to the recoild absorbing nature of the rear frame. Test subjects have soaked up over 10,000 rounds with no change in tolerances - that's amazing. And I think they are priced well under the Smith & Wessons.

461T.jpg

Also available with Laser grips...
    462T.jpg

All holsters made for the Smith J frames fit this LCR as well according to Ruger.

Is that not cool?

I'm thinking that I gotta get one of these myself - and I really don't need it at all... :patriot:

ChicagoTex

Jul 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    The LCR is not yet available and I'm not sure when it will be. When it is, it will probably be as difficult to get a hold of as the LCP was when it first came out.

Finally, Ruger is now 2/2 for recalls on their new "revolutionary" guns, I'm not knocking the brand, but I will wait a few months to see if they go 3/3 before plopping my money down on an LCR.

That said, if it's a good gun, there's a strong chance I'd buy one at some point.

mjohnson6565

Nov 7, 2008
    Supposedly available March 1st...but your right it will not be readily available for a while.

LCP's are still somewhat hard to find.

Madhouse

Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    That LCR is definitely in the running, I can wait for it. I want it as an option for the really hot days of summer when the 1911 on my hip is a bit bothersome.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Feb 1, 2009
    The LCR has a list price of $525. That's just silly.
    If you want to shoot a snubby that is a pleasure to fire, go for a stainless steel model. They are heavy, and the weight helps eat up some of the recoil. These new super lite weights are a pain to shoot. If your not having fun you won't practice much.
    As I learned with my Kel Tec.380. Until I got the finger extensions on the magazines I hated to shoot that gun.

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    S&W 640 (-1?) SS 5 shot Centennial in .357. Ability to use .38 spl and +P ammo if you do not feel like the handful it can become with heavy magnum ammo (158 gr .357 ammo is pretty intense).

For a pocket type revolver, I prefer the Centennials. Completely enclosed hammer, DAO and no opening for lint and debris to get in the action.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Feb 1, 2009
    I've owned an original S&W 640C since the mid '80s. It is heavy but it still goes with me quite often. With rubber, or the Crimson Trace grips its not too heavy and it does pack a wallop. Rated +P+. Can't remember the last time I saw any +P+ on the shelf.

S&W 640 (-1?) SS 5 shot Centennial in .357. Ability to use .38 spl and +P ammo if you do not feel like the handful it can become with heavy magnum ammo (158 gr .357 ammo is pretty intense).

For a pocket type revolver, I prefer the Centennials. Completely enclosed hammer, DAO and no opening for lint and debris to get in the action.

WB5MHA

Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Before purchasing a new S&W revolver be sure and visit the S&W forum http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve and read up on posts dealing with the internal lock. Owners have numerous complaints about the lock engaging at random times during shooting sessions. Chances of this happening when you really nead it is probably quite small; but then so is the chance of being pulled over after "just a few beers", also a bad idea!

I collect older Smiths (pre-lock) and think very highly of them. Smith and Wesson was (WAS) one of the most respected manufacturers of machine tools of any kind at one time. They were without equal in the world market. Litigation and production cost gave them the old one-two punch.

In fact I was even a shareholder until about a year ago. I handled one of the new internal lock models at a store, the lock self engaged while I was handling it and the revolver was disabled. They told me that these occurances required sending the gun back to Smith and Wesson for repair. I immediately went home and sold my shares.

Many older Smith model 36's and 60's can still be found in pristine condition. If you find a newish one, pinned and recessed, put it on layaway if you have to. A rough finish should be no problem if you are going to carry it anyway. Just check the sideplate screws for evidence of "home gunsmithing".

elmer fudd

Feb 17, 2009

For concealed, I carry in a pocket holster, a S&W 442. Speer Gold Dot +p 135.
    It is a short range only (<21 feet) pistol.

It will stop a pissed off chimpanzee, bulked up pit bull, or rabid ex convict.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom