• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Hey guys.
    I've been looking thru this forum, as well as others, to try and make a semi-educated purchase of a reloading press.
    I think I have absorbed too much info since I haven't made any progress at all.

I would reload 3 calibers only- 9mm, .45, & .223/5.56
    It is entirely possible that I won't reload 9mm or .45 very frequently, if at all.
    This purchase would be for reloading .223 mostly.

My requirements would be 1000 rds/month max. It is more likely that I would only reload around 500 rds/month.
    I think a progressive press is extremely overkill for my needs and would be too expensive up front (except the Pro 1000) by the time I have everything I need.
    Also, if I find I just don't have the time or desire to reload, I don't want a bunch of coin tied up in it.

I have read about the Lee, Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, etc., and have no clue what would be the best option for me at the most reasonable price.
    I have researched enough to know that Lee is my least expensive option, but will more than likely require me to purchase additional items due to quality issues (such as a better scale).
    I am not opposed to piecing something together, but would prefer to buy some type of kit since I am just starting out.
    I realize that dies aren't included, along with some other necessities, but if the kit comes with a scale, I don't expect to have to replace it unless it is still cost-effective.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or personal experiences on what you guys are using, and what you feel would work for my needs.
    Thank you.
    Hurley's Gold

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Nice press you have there baboon.
    If I had a great deal of disposible income, I would be all over one of those.
    Let's see, if I can just sell my XD and my Nightforce.........

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Well, here goes.
    I just got into re-loading this year and probably load about the same amounts that you are looking at. I bought the Hornady Classic re-loading kit from Cabelas and it basically has everything you need except dies, a caliper and tumbler.
    The free bullets Hornady is offering is a nice plus. (Not really free, you have to pay 6.95/box shipping)
    The powder measure is very accurate/consistent.
    I have loaded 9mm, .38, .40 & .45. Getting ready to start .223, .30 carbine & .44.
    Once the brass is tumbled, I average about 100 rnds/hr.

I have never used any of the other presses, but once you have the dies adjusted, Its nice to just snap them in and out with the L-N-L bushings.

The good news is, if you decide that you don't like re-loading, pretty much any press you buy will be easy to sell.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    Dillon RL550B without a doubt, in my opinion, would be your best choice.

I loaded many years with a single stage press but fired only about 100 to 200 rounds a month. When I started bullseye shooting my round count went way up and it became a chore rather than a pleasure to reload. Then my son started shooting bullseye with me. It was time for a progressive. We were shooting in excess of 10k rounds of 45 ACP per year!

It became once again fun to reload knowing the rounds could be turned out real fast! That left more time for shooting.

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Thanks for the opinions and input everyone.
    Skyjunkie- thanks for that link. It resolved several questions I was having.

Financially, at this particular moment, I am leaning towards the Hornady.
    With the free bullet offer and initial expense, I figure I would be in for another c-note for the Dillon. I will just need to determine if the Dillon is worth the extra coin to me.

Thanks again for the responses.

byronw999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Grand Prairie, Texas USA!
    I bought a Hornady LNL progressive last year and love it.. So far I've reloaded about 1400 .357 and prob 400 9mm...

Couldnt beat the 1000 free .45 bullets I got either..

Dont wasteyer money and time on a Lee Loadmaster... Plastic laden garbage, unless you like spending more time tinkering with it instead of reloading... The Lee classic cast turrent press is pretty decent however..

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Thanks for the responses everyone.
    I was forced to sell my AR and scope due to my wifes medical conditions recently. I also sold some ammo so I can still continue the search for a press.

I am not going to go with a Lee press at this point.
    I've read that they work pretty well once you get the bugs worked out but I don't really want to tinker with it to get it running properly/consistently.

I am piggy-backing this thread link because I am now investigating the Redding press. Any thoughts?
    At this point, I am probably going with a Dillon 550B or the Redding T7 Turret.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/reloading-ammo-cleaning/3712-redding-t7-turret.html

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Well, after much research and consideration, I have finally decided to run with the Redding T7 and 3BR setup. I couldn't find the Redding competition seating dies so wound up with the RCBS Comp. FL dies instead.
    Don't know whether these full length comp. seating dies are all they are said to be, but I guess I will find out.

Since I will potentially be loading only 3 calibers, and more likely only 1, seemed to me the T7 was the best route for me- No need for additional turrets this way. I didn't need a progressive, and as a new reloader, I wanted something that wouldn't be accomplishing multiple tasks at one time so I can assure my own safety as well as those around me.
    I was considering the Dillon 550B but am under the impression the the Redding/RCBS micrometer adjustable dies are a no-go on the Dillons.

I suppose it is irrelevant now as to whether I made a wise choice, the Redding is on the way.
    Thanks for the help everyone.

Top Bottom