• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I am intrigued by animals that have been wounded by hunters and managed to survive (and sometimes thrive) long enough until another hunter comes along. I know that I have killed two hogs that were previously shot behind the ear and the bullets just went through and through and when I killed the hogs, the wounds were healed or mostly healed. However, Tuesday night was the first time that I actually recovered the bullet from another hunter. We were looking for my partner's 6mm Grendel bullets to see how they performed (new caliber for him) when we found the foreign bullet (with metal detector) in non-bloodied tissue. It was obviously not one of our bullets as it had a flat base and ours were boat tailed. Though deformed, measurements most likely put it in the 6.5-7mm range. See 4:10 here...

So, have y'all recovered any bullets/pellets from animals that were from the efforts of a previous hunter?

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Back about 1992 or so I was invited to go hog hunting on a friends hunting lease down near Alice.
    Sitting around the camp fire on pre-hunt night doing the y’all won’t believe this hunting story thing, one of the hunters told of shooting at a large speckled hog. Hitting it. Knocking it down. Then watching as said hog got up and ran off back into the brush. This had occurred about two weeks before now.
    I’m thinking b.s. story.
    As much as those guys drank it seemed an unlikely tale. Stuff just doesn’t get up and run off after getting hit by a .30-06.
    So, next day I’m out sitting in a stand watching various animals around the feeder.
    What waddles out? A huge honkin’ speckled pig!
    Scoping the beastie out I saw nothing odd so I put a 140grn 7mm softpoint in its ear.
    Later while cleaning the hog as I was slicing the knife thru it’s sternum area I heard a strange “click” sound. Then a large smelly amount of puss spewed out of the cut. Eeew.
    Doing a little investigation there was a swollen area right on the hogs frontal area. I opened it up and out fell a perfectly mushroomed .30 rifle bullet! The click was the knife blade contacting the bullet.
    I’ll be dammed. Mr.Drunk had indeed put a bullet into that thing and it was still doing hog stuff two weeks later.
    True story.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Hogs are tough critters.
    I took out a 300+lb Russian boar with a 168gr SGK. It was a good heart lung shot breaking ribs and bouncing off the opposite shoulder. It never flinched, squealed, run off or anything. It continued walking as if nothing happened. About 40yds from where I hit it, it had fallen over as it had bled out enough internally that it went down. There was about 1inch of gristle under the hide that is pretty much self sealing so there was no blood trail.

I still have the bullet I recovered under that gristle on the far side. It weighed about 165grains after I recovered it.

The boar was over 6 ft long and fairly young as the tusks were just beginning to turn. After skinning it, the hide weighed over 60 lbs...

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I killed a large boar 20 years that had taken a bullet in the front leg just a few inches above the knee like joint. Originally it was probably deep in the tissue but he was in pretty poor shape so on his gimp leg he had a nasty scab with the base of a bullet sticking out of it. I didn't measure it but it looked to be a 22 or 6mm bullet.

Guy on out deer lease a couple years back shot a buck and upon cutting the cape for a mount there was a broadhead deep in it. The deer was pretty old and body wise looked a little poor but other he didn't limp or anything. The shoulder was completely rotten so he likely wouldn't have lived through the year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nietzsche

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2016
    I once recovered the fragments of what looked like a .17hmr or .22 mag from a fallow bucks neck. It was during the rut so his neck was real thick. I noticed a wheeping wound on the neck and when i incised there was necrotic patch of muscle, pus, and very thin pieces of copper jacket. He seemed ok when walking through the woods. Unfortunately a number of his lymph nodes were swollen and the game dealer rejected the carcass.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom