• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dinga67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Porter
    Need some input please. Setting up an AR10 (Hog Thumper) Id like to run it with a Red Dot. My vision is not what it used to be so I need a little help with magnification (X2 or X3). I like the Aimpoint with smaller MOA but I don't want to add a magnifier. It would be nice to have it all in one unit.
    QUESTION IS: Who has had a Red Dot with magnification that holds up well and wont break the bank.
    Thanks, Shoot Safe & Shoot Often!
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    What magnification are you looking for? It's a vague question. There aren't many red dot with built-in magnification unless it's like a doubler (defeats the purpose of their design). Have you thought about doing a 1-4x with an illuminated reticle or something like that?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Put a dang scope on it and be done. Red dots with the swing out magnifiers are stupid. An ar10 needs some magnification for you to get the most out of it. If you just like aimpoints buy or build an ar15 and use an Aimpoint. My .02

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have a TruGlow red dot with built in 2x magnification and I hate it. It hs been sitting around for 10 years because I could never get it to sight in correctly.

I don't think you are going to have much luck with a cheap option like you are trying to find.

Illuminated reticle scopes are your best cheap option.

You may have some luck with an ACOG knockoff but I haven't tried any of them.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I have a TruGlow red dot with built in 2x magnification and I hate it. It hs been sitting around for 10 years because I could never get it to sight in correctly.

I don't think you are going to have much luck with a cheap option like you are trying to find.

Illuminated reticle scopes are your best cheap option.

You may have some luck with an ACOG knockoff but I haven't tried any of them.
    What he said ^^^^ 100%!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Who has had a Red Dot with magnification that holds up well and wont break the bank.

I am not sure what your budget is, but I agree with the others that an illuminated variable power scope would be you best bet. If you insist on a dot, the Burris TAC30 1-4x scope is built like a brick shithouse, and runs about $270. Mine has been used to take plenty of hogs.

Top Bottom