Red dot or holographic sight?

Discussion in 'Optics' started by Warrior Judge, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Warrior Judge

Warrior Judge New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    I am thinking about buying an optic. However, I am, at best, an infrequent, novice and casual shooter. While I want something high quality, reliable and accurate, in reality, this purchase will see very little use. I don't want to spend more than around $450.00.

Any suggestions on a good holo or red dot that suits my usage (mounted on an AR or AK, used to kill hostile paper)?

Thanks,

WJ

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The bushnell holosight is a non-milspec version of the EoTech. I bought mine for under $225

3. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    If you're just a casual week end shooter, the cheap ones will do fine. .BSA, Burris, Tasco and NcStar make some functional ones. If your going to count on the gun for self defense and you go the inexpensive route, make sure you have BUIS that will co witness through glass, or have a mounting method that allows quick removal. Matter of fact, that's a good idea no matter what level optic you get.

4. Hawghauler

Hawghauler Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Eotech Holographic for my 2 cents.

5. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I agree with the BUIS;

My bushnell ;

[​IMG]

sight off and using BUIS;

[​IMG]

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I like that sight TI. Thanks for the pics.

7. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The inner dot is 1 MOA, the outer ring is 65. for CQB just center the outer ring and shoot, for distance use the smaller dot.

Of course, always be able to use your irons first.

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I like that you can simply flip the rear sight up and be back in the fight instead of having to fool with taking it off if the sight fails. I have always wanted an ar set up and I think I'm going to go with a flat top and top it off with one of these holo sights when I get one.

9. TexMex247

TexMex247 Well-Known TGT Supporter

May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    A guy at a gunshow once told me there is a big difference between economy and professional equipment. If it is going on an AR or other high recoil weapon, I highly recommend the Eotech. I am no sniper or soldier but looking back it is the best optic I have ever purchased. The Eotech does not lose center when you change batteries, has extremely long battery life, auto shut-off and mine is NV compatible. There are many versions at or below the $400 mark. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

10. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'll be clear about this. The Bushnell IS an EoTech. It is not Mil spec, is the only difference.