• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    With all the new fancy little guns out there with options for red dot sights like the P365XL, G43X MOS and Springfield Hellcat etc...just curious if anyone is actually carrying one with a red dot on it?

I have a P365 XL and am thinking about a Romeo zero for it. I don't own any handguns with optics mounted, but have been considering it. Any thoughts good or bad about this?
    Target Sports

ronr68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Taylor
    I tried a red dot on my LCP when I first got it. Got rid of it after a bit. Seemed to be a lot of trouble for a purely defensive weapon.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I love a good reflex sight. It can limit holster selection at times. I don’t think there’s a better/faster way to get on target in a defensive situation.

There are drawbacks. The reflex sight is zeroed at a particular distance, so making center of mass become point of aim can important as does ensuring you know where you’re going to hit for various distances.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I love a good reflex sight. It can limit holster selection at times.
    This might be even more of an issue for me since I am left handed. I guess I'll need to go look at some options. The holster I have now for the 365xl is not cut for a reflex. I guess I could modify it if needed.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    This might be even more of an issue for me since I am left handed. I guess I'll need to go look at some options. The holster I have now for the 365xl is not cut for a reflex. I guess I could modify it if needed.

Careful, that could mess up the retention.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    As all of my “oh shit, this motherfucker is trying to kill me” training is at distances of 6 to 15 feet, and 100% of my shooting at these distances is from the hip after clearing the holster, I personally do not feel the need for one.
    If I shot competition maybe I would have a different opinion.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Is there any advantage to having a smaller 3moa dot compared to a 6moa? I prefer smaller dots on carbines, but it seems like a larger dot maybe easier to acquire on a handgun. I'll admit I'm not shooting ragged holes past 10 yards with a handgun anyway, so I'm thinking a larger dot maybe more practical for defense ranges.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    As all of my “oh shit, this motherfucker is trying to kill me” training is at distances of 6 to 15 feet, and 100% of my shooting at these distances is from the hip after clearing the holster, I personally do not feel the need for one.
    This is what I am wondering. From a practical standpoint at standard SD ranges is it worth it. For range purposes I certainly see a benefit. Not sure about quick point and shoot ranges.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I don't have one of those guns you listed, but I do daily carry a FN 509 MRD midsize with a Trijicon RMR.

I really like the red dot. It makes it easy to shoot both eyes open, you don't focus on the dot, just the target. The dot is just super imposed over the target. Once you get well practiced with the presentation of the firearm, its fast and you don't have to take your eyes off the target. I have mine zeroed at 15 yards and at 3 yards, PoI is about 1 inch low, further out than 15 yards tends to hit a bit high. Its close enough to PoA that it doesn't really matter.

I haven't heard much good about the Romeo Zero micro red dot from sig, personally I'd lean toward the Holosun offering for the 365 or 43x/48.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    As all of my “oh shit, this motherfucker is trying to kill me” training is at distances of 6' to 15' feet, and 100% of my shooting at these distances is from the hip after clearing the holster, I personally do not feel the need for one.
    Agreed! If one cannot hit a target at 6 to 15 with irons, more practice is needed. I've got a laser red dot on the right side grip of my Defender and that makes it very easy to hit center mass at those distances.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Is there any advantage to having a smaller 3moa dot compared to a 6moa? I prefer smaller dots on carbines, but it seems like a larger dot maybe easier to acquire on a handgun. I'll admit I'm not shooting ragged holes past 10 yards with a handgun anyway, so I'm thinking a larger dot maybe more practical for defense ranges.
    I have an astigmatism, so I actually prefer the 3 moa dot. I have a 3.25 moa RMR and a 6 moa. The 6 is more forgiving for fast acquisition and doesn't appear to wobble around quite as much, so you have less data overload. I'd say using the 3.25 is more like using a laser on a pistol, the subtle movement of your hand is far more apparent. It is way better for doing more precise shooting though if you want more of a range toy.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't have one of those guns you listed, but I do daily carry a FN 509 MRD midsize with a Trijicon RMR.

I really like the red dot. It makes it easy to shoot both eyes open, you don't focus on the dot, just the target. The dot is just super imposed over the target. Once you get well practiced with the presentation of the firearm, its fast and you don't have to take your eyes off the target. I have mine zeroed at 15 yards and at 3 yards, PoI is about 1 inch low, further out than 15 yards tends to hit a bit high. Its close enough to PoA that it doesn't really matter.

I haven't heard much good about the Romeo Zero micro red dot from sig, personally I'd lean toward the Holosun offering for the 365 or 43x/48.

My reasoning behind the romeo zero is that it seems to be purposely made just for the 365xl. I'll definitely look into the Holosuns though.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I'm not positive certain that I'll carry, or even use a red dot mounted pistol. But, at the same time, with my eyesight growing weaker as I get older, I plan on keeping that option open. A Green laser of some sort is most definitely going to be a certainty in the future. An optic of some sort to compliment that makes sense.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    My reasoning behind the romeo zero is that it seems to be purposely made just for the 365xl. I'll definitely look into the Holosuns though.
    Yeah, I also considered the same thing. The most concerning talk for me was its difficulty retaining zero after some bumps. I get that we're not going to war and its basically just going to live on someone's waist, but if you need to use it, you probably want to have some faith that its working correctly. I honestly don't love the idea of buying Holosun, but they do have a record for well built optics.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I'm not positive certain that I'll carry, or even use a red dot mounted pistol. But, at the same time, with my eyesight growing weaker as I get older, I plan on keeping that option open. A Green laser of some sort is most definitely going to be a certainty in the future. An optic of some sort to compliment that makes sense.
    For what its worth, I've used lasers and red dot optics for pistols and I much prefer the optic to the laser. I got information overload with the laser. Thats a very specific thing to me, but just thought I'd share my experience.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Lasers are certainly another option to aid getting the barrel on target.

Where a reflex sight shines, in my opinion, is allowing the shooter to focus on a wider threat/SA area without having to go back to front sight focus or remember to activate the laser or light or whatever pressure/switch based aid.

Also, if you expect using NVDs, make sure the reflect or other optical aid is compatible.

@Hoji brings up a good point and that is understanding the threat and environment you expect to engage/operate in vs the benefit of any given sight system. Once you understand that, then narrowing the options becomes much easier.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    How does one get information overload from a red dot laser? Not being sarcastic, just not understanding. I like the laser cause you know exactly where the dot is, and therefore where the bullet is (or very close to it). And besides being a both-eyes-open sight for where the bullet should go, it allows one to see the object, bad guy, as well as anyone around where one is shooting (good or bad).

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Expect to spend time learning a new skill, depending on eye sight (age?) it will make a world of difference.

Top Bottom